Tips for learning Korean

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Living Dream, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Living Dream

Living Dream Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As the title suggests, Im just basically looking for any and all tips to learning korean.

HNCKrstl likes this.
  2. thisworldofmine1

thisworldofmine1 Grandmaster of Danmei Cultivation

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm Korean, so I can tell you, Korean is completely different from English.
    "I love you" will be turned to "I you love".
    Honestly, just getting used to it through k-drama has worked for most people.
    I'd say just duolingo is bad since it's full of mistakes.
    Maybe try subtitles to easy Korean kid shows or slowly Google translate Korean kid books.
    Rosetta stone is also a good start.

3. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Get a Korean boy/girl friend. The more intimate- the better. When it’s time to meet their parents you’ll show off your skills.
    Move to Korea.
    Watch Korean dramas.
    Listen to Korean music.

And then go the normal way of learning with dictionaries and sound recordings for pronunciation....

PS if you do get a chance to have foreign language friends or move to a country where they speak a language you wish to learn- by all means continue to speak in English (or other language you are comfortable with)- that’s the slowest way to learn. Some people of some nationalities will try to specifically talk to you in the language you are proficient in so that THEY can learn your language.

Ok, seriously, movies, re-watching movies, re-re-re-watching the same damn movie with and without subtitles helps a lot. Same goes for writing love letters to your crush. I did both when I was learning English... errr maybe don’t give those letters to the intended person. Especially if you are still at school. Now that is embarrassing when you are older.... *hides under the covers*

Living Dream likes this.
  4. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Eat kimchee.:p

Best way to learn Korean, once you start is spend time at Korean groceries. Buy kimchee and chat with the ajumas.

The reason why I can’t speak Korean anymore is I can’t stand kimchee or fish.:p

Living Dream likes this.
  5. Rosver

Rosver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess you want to learn to speak? The best way would be to actually have someone who knows how to speak Korean, or a Korean themselves, and talk to them in Korean. We naturally learn to speak a language by just using that language. The next best thing is to listen to speakers (try watching dramas and movies) armed with a dictionary. Try to not depend too much on the dictionary though, try to understand what they are actually speaking and what the words mean instead of translating what they say to English. Reading and writing is a different matter though. Reading and writing. Aside from memorizing the shapes and sounds associated with it, Reading and writing uses a wider vocabulary and more complex grammar than speech so just learning to read by reading a book is just very frustrating. It seems like you need to learn thousands of words at once and wrestle with confusing grammar at the same time. When you are just starting reading and writing you need to pick those books that are deliberately made with very narrow vocabulary and simple grammar, i.e. children's books. You can then gradually graduate to more complex books and writings.

Meloman and Living Dream like this.
  6. Living Dream

Reading List:
    Link
    So basically to summarize everything up, if I want to learn Korean, talk to korean people, watch too many korean tv shows, and read kids books and eventually improve?

Meloman likes this.
  7. thisworldofmine1

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, or get a Korean friend who won't be annoyed at teaching or translating stuff for you.
    I'm plenty annoyed at my k-pop fangirl friends though., and there seems to be many others like me.. ^_^

Living Dream likes this.
  8. Living Dream

Reading List:
    Link
    Are they hardcore k-pop fangirls that get toxic if you say something like "Bts sucks" because ive seen a few of those on youtube

HNCKrstl and thisworldofmine1 like this.
  9. thisworldofmine1

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I don't listen to kpop. But all I know about it is from them... they all got 36s in their ACTs in their sophomore year, but they don't use their brains for research but hypothesizing almost always accurately about the schedule of their favorite kpop groups...

HNCKrstl and Living Dream like this.
  10. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    I hear Duolingo would be a big help. It sends lots of helpful reminders...

HNCKrstl likes this.
  11. HNCKrstl

HNCKrstl 《The Đevîl's Cøñsørt》『♡Hayyan's Female Version』

Reading List:
    Link
    Duolingo is good to start off with. While you are at it you can maybe watch some kdramas. You really get used to how the words are pronounced in that way. You can easily learn the common words by that way.

Since I like kpop what I do is listening to kpop songs with the lyrics and the English translation of lyrics. That works too, if you like listening to their music. Otherwise, it won't be enjoyable for you.

Do you know Interpals??
    https://www.interpals.net/app/langex

There you can find someone you can learn a language of mutual interest. ^.^
    Have fun~

12. HNCKrstl

Reading List:
    Link
    If you really like to learn Korean, you will definitely enjoy at least one of those. Choose that option/s. ^^

lololol..I knoww riight. :blobowoevil_horns: I hate those brats. Don't go for them. They are mostly kids anyway, and are really annoying if you are not supporting their group. I am a BTS fan too though. :cookie:

13. HNCKrstl

Reading List:
    Link
    Darn right... :blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl:

thisworldofmine1 likes this.