Discussion What's the reason you dropped a novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by tak, May 3, 2019.

Tags:
?

What's the reason you stop reading a novel?

Poll closed May 10, 2019.
  1. Plot went bad

68.1%
  2. Forgot the novel title

10.9%
  3. Forgot last chapter read

15.7%
  4. Forgot the story but don't want to re-read

20.1%
  5. Haven't read for a while & there's too much to chapters catch up

20.5%
  6. Too much ads on translator site

22.3%
  7. Don't like the plot twist

23.6%
  8. Read the spoiler so no need to read the novel

7.9%
  9. Site is not mobile friendly

12.2%
  10. Misclick reading list & too lazy to find out the correct read chapter

5.7%
  11. Stockpile chapter forever

21.8%
  12. Love it too much, don't want it to end

11.4%
  13. Repetitive plot

48.9%
  14. Fav character is mistreated by author

16.2%
  15. Slow updates

27.5%
  16. Excessive discrimination

25.3%
  17. Slow plot

17.0%
  18. Character change

10.5%
  19. Sudden hateful tropes (NTR rape etc etc)

37.6%
  20. Paywall

30.6%
  21. Bad translations

25.8%
  22. Hate MC character

22.3%
  23. Tried reading, doesn't like it

29.3%
  24. Writing is too good, hate the villain too much

0.9%
  25. Novel is discontinued

24.9%
  26. Inconsistency or plot holes

25.8%
  27. Plot armor >9000

15.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tak

tak ignorant but well-meant

Reading List:
    Link
    i just realized this is a joke because i use the word "dropped".
    I thought it's a nonsense joke, like "what do you want to be when you grow up?" "Vampire" "lol" and i just roll with it

Maid Chan likes this.
  2. tak

Reading List:
    Link
    is that a pun

3. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yo, i am his sidekick.

4. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    thd ones i ticked plus
    hostage taking pisses me off.....
    i got bored......
    lost track of what the hell the story was even about.....

5. metazoxan

metazoxan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I try not to drop novels but there are a few I have either actively dropped or I'll probably never finish even if translation continues.

Tales of Demons and Gods-I liked it.... until the author who is infamous for leaving works unfinished reduced his release rate to MAYBE once every month or two.... This is a typical chinese web novel BTW where the story takes over 1000 chapters and a single one is mostly most words with little actually happening. So such a low release rate means either the ending will be rushed as hell.... or will take at least several decades to finish. Either way I'm not going through that torture. Author could even pick up the pace and I wouldn't care. I've already lost faith.

Another one that I've basically dropped at this point is Iron Ladies. Technically it's a manhua rather than a novel but let me count it. Dropped this one for repetitive plot to the point of insulting. What I mean is the villains act just as arrant and blatantly evil as they did in chapter 1. Even after 100 chapters they are all "ha ha ha you worthless peasant. I am the lord of blah blah blah and I"m too rich, powerful, and evil to be defeated! Sure you beat every other guy who was just like me but I'm different. I'm smarter, have slightly better technology, and I'm pretty sure you just got lucky over a dozen times". It just got annoying after a while that the villains never seems to legitimately learn anything and doing the exact same thing.

many series will reuse plots and such. But they will normally at least try to take it in a new direction. Or will at least take reference to the past events and act like this is a new attempt after learning from the past. Even if they don't... most series don't copy past arcs TOO often and normally when they do it's their better ones anyway. But even at their worst they don't do THE EXACT SAME THING EVERY FREAKING ARC.

Cream and Reak like this.
  6. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't quite drop novels as I just don't read them , for a time , and sometimes suddenly pick them up again. Which means that I don't have a long list of novels that I read because I am too committed , now I have many novels in my reading list but that is because I just found them interesting but never read them ( so it doesn't count as dropped )
    But the ones I have dropped , which I have , r because of some major issues . Now I am willing to let a LOT slide in the WN , but somethings r just too much and it never is only one thing. My reasons r already present above and I have selected them already so I will just mention the main ones:
    Racism, Nationalism , etc
    Inconsistencies

7. tak

Reading List:
    Link
    same. I have a separate reading list named "wait for binge reading".

8. omegadir

omegadir Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First reason is because plot repeat itself. Go to are place, get in fight, get power up, defeat enemy, repeat until you god (mostly Chinese novels). Second reason is bland, one dimensional characters.
    If it Chinese novels then we have self-righteous, holier-than-thou MC with support characters lining up to fall in love with him, praise him for his virtues, or get in trouble for MC to save them. Villains in this novels no better with arrogant masters, blood thirsty maniacs and evil overlords on every steps of the way. Conflict always resolved with violence with black and white morality with no middle ground.
    If it Japanese novel then we have typical two legged stereotypes in 50% of novels. The MC in most cases extreme doormat even if he had god level power, supporting characters is yours typical violent tsundere, cold kuudere, clinging yandere and so on with one or two unique characteristics what irreverent most of time. Relationships in these novel for most part is completely static with progression in one volume which go back to starting point in next book, with most times "first girl win" or leaving it completely in the air.
    Some novel can start utilizing these tropes and become good later on but in mine experience if novel have these flaws then 95% of the time they stay the same or become worse.

Cream likes this.
  9. Piknos

Piknos Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe it's softcore or just so cute it doesn't matter.

10. Piknos

Piknos Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Y'know what really gets me? When an author tries to pass off knowledge about something they clearly don't know anything about. There's no shame in admitting your lack of understanding for a certain topic, we all have those. What makes me aggravated is when they try to explain it in a way that's supposed to be realistic but in fact is completely wrong. Like dude, just gloss over it. If you don't know anything about swords, just say it's a super pointy stick, add some cool sound effects and it's all good.

The only other thing I hate more than that would be an obvious lack of any proofreading or logic from the author. Some of their concepts on the scale of things (especially in those cultivation novels) are so out of line you'd think they were mistaking the imperial system for the standard system. Or perhaps they'd say something then completely reverse it in literally the next paragraph. I've also encountered authors that don't know how to count basic figures, bless their souls. Though this doesn't make me that mad, it shows to readers how little care they put into stories, and that reflects heavily onto quality.

Cream likes this.
  11. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    everything goes bad plot mc heroine and sometimes i watch the anime or read the manga version so too lazy to read the novel and i already know what happens

12. Braxx

Braxx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me , its because of 8 things.

1. Annoying characters that pester the MC all the time
    2. When the MC loves 1 girl more than the rest and goes out of his way to tell them that they are not as imporant as his most loved woman
    3. Pathetic MC's that lack a spine
    4. Dense MC's.
    5.When MC's use a hiddent identity for extended periods of time
    6. Long separations between the MC and his love interests
    7. No sex between the MC and his love interest the entire novel
    8. When MC hide their true abilities for extended periods of time

When a novel has 2 or more of these points in them, its an instant drop. I dont care about the story or if its repetitive. I dont care if characters are 1 dimensional or anything like that. I just like to read a power fantasy harem novels

Ofc im not including NTR, Death of loved ones etc ..... those novels are a NO READ by default

Cream likes this.
  13. in_awe

in_awe [Daisy's Pet][Tilgar's Master][Evil Chaotic Fluff]

Reading List:
    Link
    Other than the character change, I agree. I think character development is important in keeping interest. If it's sudden and unreasonable then I'm out

14. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    i hate isekai 2019 novels as you know the translators thought that isekai is the trend so they translate all of it for pocket money and usually drop after collecting a good sum at a critical point in the story or they take a month for a chapter to come out like second coming of avarice
    i started to lose interest in reading as i read all the hidden gems and the decent ones so i ended up thinking about quitting reading novel and focus more on real life that's all

Reak likes this.
  15. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you checked out Scribble Hub? Got some good original English written WNs over there, and it has a ranking system that ranks stories according to how many views they got the previous day. As such, unless they used some dirty trick to boost their views, you can always bet the top rated are actual good reads so long as they fit your genre preference.

16. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Neither of the main reasons I give up on books are in the poll. The most common one is just plain bad writing. This happens a lot to amateur writers, especially if they have no real idea how to put together creative fiction. They can come up with interesting ideas and plots and maybe even characters. But if they can't produce good prose or are unable to include enough detail to sustain the reader's imagination, then it's going to make their books bad.

The other major problem is also related to inexperience. What will often happen is that the writer can come up with interesting ideas to start their stories off on good footing but didn't plan far enough ahead to build on these ideas. Books that do this tend to stall out and just run out of things to entertain the reader with. I've seen this happen primarily in Japanese novels, often ones that get recommended a lot ("Slime Tensei", "Arifureta", "Death March"), but I have seen cases of it in Chinese ones as well.

Cream and eminence grise like this.
  17. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    most of the above that you've listed on your poll are the main reasons I've dropped a novel

18. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Mostly just horrible levels of plot armor just kill the novels for me. Next in li e would be horrid polt devices and excessively abusing one or more of the main, or supporting characters.

There is one thing that does contribute to my interest in a novel though. That's how they handle sex. For me it doesnt matter if the intercourse is shown or not, I just can't stand the novels that revolve around a protag that is constantly teased sexually, but without fail, cockblocked in the end. After a while this behavior would honestly just lead to the dude raping some random gal. All because she was nice to him when his jailers are not paying attention.

Cream and jemini like this.
  19. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    scribble hub is a place for nothing more than trash

20. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.