Help me start reading something I want to read.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Walter vi Britannia, May 4, 2019.

1. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just can't get myself to click on a novel I want to read. The better the novel, the more I hesitate. I have found novels that I believe would be exactly the type of novel I'd be into and want to read them really bad, but I just don't feel like the moment is perfect, you know?

It's a weird feeling but I always hesitate. If a novel feels like a very casual read, still being translated, nothing too much my style but I'd still read it, those novels are very easy for me to start. Something like, not gambling off something precious to you, but starting off with something you can afford to lose. But also not quite that feeling. I know I'll like it, there are good reviews, the genre, the setting, the concept, these are all what I want...but there's still this hesitation where there should not be any!!

Is this like that feng shui thing? Am I waiting for that perfect moment where I'm harmonized with nature and the surroundings with no other thoughts occupying my mind so that I can start this novel and read it at my own leisure?
    I don't care.
    I just wanna start it. Any advice on how I can just get into it? If I can get myself to read the first chapter, that's it. I'll be hooked even if it isn't upto par. I usually can't stop reading something after I start it. Unless its horrendously bad, translation made the chapter not understandable, there is some very cringy or uncomfortable factor, or if the story takes a turn into factors I don't like...like rape, ntr, or yaoi(oh, wait no, I still read through yaoi sometimes...those were just so good plot wise that I couldn't stand not finishing it). Other than those reasons, you really can't stop me from finishing something after I've started it...its a very odd sense of determination I'm not really proud of.

So, just suggest me a way I can get myself to give just one chapter a try of a novel I very much want to read. (...this line makes no sense without context. lol....actually it still doesn't even with context...the whole post doesn't make any sense!...I think I'll make the title something nonsensical like this too.)

strayCat0, PaiN and Kalmaegi like this.
  2. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Just do it.... Nike!
    --edit--
    Here I'll even give ya a link to my favorites list on RR... there are quite a few novels on hiatus, but there should be many that meet your criteria.

P.P.S helps to add the link...

3. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    "Don't let your dreams be just dreams!"
    -Shia LaBeouf

4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    You get too excited before reading the novel you want, stop getting excited and don't start getting ideas and you should be fine

5. Miserys_End

Reading List:
    Link
    I am the person I pretent to be, so there is no reason to be anyone but me.
    -Me

6. PaiN

PaiN Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmmm.. I have the same issue, I just can't start/continue reading what I want to read. It is a weird feeling.:blobawkward:

7. Shizun

Shizun 《Jack of all trades》《Artist/Author》《Dao of BLedia》

Reading List:
    Link
    Read the spoilers. I always do, and if i like it, i still read the translations

Walter vi Britannia likes this.
  8. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Same. If that happens, I watch an anime or two. After getting bored with anime, I'm coming back to read novels.

9. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing is...most of those, if not all, don't have any anime.

10. zenla

zenla { Totally human being} {Kingdom building fanatic}

Reading List:
    Link
    You think too much. Or more like you are afraid of shattering of dream novel. As long as you don t start to read the novel remains great in your eyes. And so you are afraid you will not like it, even though so many think it is great. You probably got hurt or rejected quite some and now you are afraid to get hit again even when it comes to reading. There is no great advice since confidence comes from doing something without getting slapped by reality.

strayCat0 likes this.
  11. Miserys_End

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, most of the time it's just dissatisfaction with the novel. I have a round a dozen novels I see roll through the front page and I can only summon a *meh* before moving on.

12. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Not necessarily the anime adaptation of the novel you want to read. It can be slice of life anime, horror, comedy or romance anime. It's more like to refresh your mind of reading too much novel imo.

13. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    What the hell, man.

14. Kalmaegi

Kalmaegi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have the same issue when it comes to novels that have an interesting premise and are usually in a more serious genre, I get intimidated since I feel like I have to devote my attention to it compared to casual light reads.

Don't think too much when you feel the urge to read it and click chapter one.

15. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    Same thing for me. In particular when I hear a novel praised by other people a lot I usually find it harder to start. The easiest to start for me are novels I just happen across and know next to nothing about, aside from maybe tags/genre.

16. PaiN

PaiN Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the novels I want to continue reading are completely translated ones. I probably read a couple hundred chapters already. Then I stopped reading because I wanted it to be complete so that I can binge it. But now that it is complete, I just cant start again. zzzz...
    Maybe my tastes have changed? :blobconfused::hmm:
    Edit: No, my tastes have changed but not much, I still want to read them. :blobflag:

mir, Kalmaegi and Walter vi Britannia like this.
  17. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel conflicted too!
    exams start on Monday and I have 10 bl novels I want to read! ^ ^
    my pounding heart makes me feel terrible, as well as the recurring headaches!

18. Nara

Nara Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's see, in my case i always feel like that when i have something important that i should do before leisurely read my favorite novel. It's like my soul is screaming "you have others important things to do dammwit, stop being lazy and running from responsibility!" or something like that. So i always trying to do some works that i always postpone because i was too lazy...
    I hope this helps you...
    :blobokhand:

PaiN, Walter vi Britannia and kenar like this.
  19. Heimdallr

Heimdallr [I-don't-know-what-to-write-here]

Reading List:
    Link
    I get what you mean. It doesn't matter which novel it is I always am kind of reluctant to start it and when i start I can't take a break.

20. SpyC

SpyC Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    go get some rest. :hmm: