Discussion So to everyone who’s a reader...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Hoshiandme, May 5, 2019.

Tags:
?

TL’s Notes

1. Best if it’s right after the paragraph

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Best near the bottom

20 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. I don’t like them

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Annoying if right after the paragraph

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. I sometimes forget when I finish the chapter to check the TL NOtes.

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. I’m torn. I LIKE BOTH

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoshiandme

Hoshiandme A Wandering Star Who Watches From Afar

Reading List:
    Link
    So, guys. I just remembered something that’s been bothering me a lot.

You guys all know how some translators put TL notes explaining why a certain phrase is said and explains its whole origin and why the characters are using it, right?

Do you guys prefer seeing them at the same time you are reading the paragraph, or at the end, when you are finished reading?
    My answer is very conflicting.
    Sometimes I hate the TL notes because some of them are so distracting, but the next thing some weird asian slang thing pops up, and I don’t get it. And if there’s no TL note right after the paragraph, so I want to scroll down so I can understand it. BUT SOMETIMES I GET LAZY AND JUST WANT TO READ. And don’t scroll down, because it’s a whole process to go alllll the way down, and then back up and find where you were at previously. So when I do finish the chapter, I’m all like “fuck it” I got the gist of it all, I’ll just click next chapter, and keep reading.
    SO LIKE. I LIKE TL NOTES. And understanding what I read, but ITS SO DISTRACTING WHEN ITS AFTER THE PARAGRAPH SO LIKE IM CONFUSED LOL. I both like it next to the paragraph and at the bottom.... LMAO. It’s its next to the paragraph, it’s simple and easier to understand the paragraph, but if it’s at the bottom it doesn’t get in the mood of reading...
    So what’s your opinions? Lol. Do you guys like TL notes, like it after the paragraph, or at the end?

Cream likes this.
  2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Or they can use citation like Wikipedia where it scrolls down for you and return to where you are by clicking the arrow.

That's the best one

7Marie, Gon_, HNCKrstl and 19 others like this.
  3. Hoshiandme

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s true, but not a lot of translators use it. Lol. I’ve only read a couple of novels with such a function. ALAS. The pain, so I’m speaking in a general sense. Most translators don’t have such options I believe.
    I think I’ve read enough to know lol

Amethyst likes this.
  4. Amethyst

Amethyst Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer that the unknown phrase or word has the little blue number at the end of it, so when I tap it, it brings me to the bottom where the TL Notes are, then I read what it says, and then click the number or arrow next to the explanation to bring me back to where I was. This is how I prefer it.

tsundere_taichou and Hoshiandme like this.
  5. MrAconter

MrAconter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah i like that too, would like it this way for all things i read

6. Hoshiandme

Reading List:
    Link
    Same. But not every translator uses such an option. Though I can understand, for new translators, it’s a bit weird to figure out how certain websites work.

7. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the note if its just a "oooh he got rekt! xDDDD" just fucking dont.

If its an explanation then

This is the superior way of doing it.

8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer tooltip where you click on it and a tooltip popup explains, not too fond of scrolling up and down

Helaine, Ranka, GDLiZy and 3 others like this.
  9. Hoshiandme

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes the highly opinionated TL note is very very distracting, but the TLER has the freedom to do what they will, most translators do it for fun and out of their free will, so you should allow them some leeway.
    Or you can copy and paste the whole chapter and cut out the TL notes lol.
    Than maybe you could possibly understand a part of their writing and editing process for translating.
    One shouldn’t get mad at a TLER, they are obligated some leeway okay! Lol!

10. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    So what you're saying is let them ruin the user experience for their readers then copy the chapter, remove the bullshit and post it on a new and shiny aggregator site?

I dunno man sounds like alot of work

11. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    Obviously the TLer CAN do what he wants, but there’s plenty of TLers asking about their readers opinions. Nothing wrong with stating your opinion about something without being asked in advance.

AliceShiki and Hoshiandme like this.
  12. AerynW

AerynW Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like notes at the bottom with page jumps, hover over, or tap/click to see note.
    But not every translator knows how to do any of the above and opt for typing right into the main body.

Hoshiandme likes this.
  13. rijimon17

rijimon17 Hope you can read the words

Reading List:
    Link
    I like it when the translators put there own quips in after a paragraph. Like when a character says something that could be put sexually and the translator puts a lenny face on it.

For example

... kagame found the hole, and with great trepidation. He put it inside. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Though I wouldn't want them to do it so much that it wrecks the stories flow.

Edit: obviously my example wasn't meant to be funny. But those who read it probably get what I mean

Hoshiandme likes this.
  14. Hoshiandme

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s a lot of work to translate too.

So I don’t understand your argument. And I didn’t say an aggregator site, you could just do it on a notepad. Simple and easy. And you shouldn’t attack them for it. It’s called be nice. Some people are straight up savages and attacks some translators for it. I’ve seen a few stop translating and the novel is forever unfinished.

15. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Hoshiandme likes this.
  16. scribbledoutname

scribbledoutname Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find it annoying when there are TL notes right after the paragraph. Well, not always... if the note is funny enough, then I don't mind, BUT most of the time it's annoying because it interrupts the story. I prefer seeing numbers and then a note at the end¹.

On another note, what I also dislike is when each chapter links to a translator note on its own page and then you have to click to go to the next chapter. I'd rather each chapter just took you straight to the next chapter. I'm reading a story like that atm.

¹ Like this :blobokhand:

Hoshiandme likes this.
  17. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's actually pretty easy to set those up, there are very simple tutorials on how to do that on wordpress online.

And actually, if you copy paste the content from Word (at least the 2013 version did that, from my own testing it doesn't work with Mobile version though) to Wordpress' text editor, it automatically adds the footnotes for you.

Alternatively, there are TONS of plugins that make the process extremely straightforward and brainless... I get somewhat annoyed at translators that don't use proper footnotes because I'm very aware of how easy it is to set them up.
    Oh, there is a plugin that does both actually, if you hover your mouse over it you get a pop up, if you click it, you're moved to the bottom of the page to read the footnote~

Really practical plugin~

Especially because all you need to do is writing the thingy you want between [NOTE][/NOTE] and it will automatically work like that... >.>

SoulZer0, Hoshiandme and orematcha like this.
  18. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh I have seen quite a lot of translators use it though.

Hoshiandme likes this.
  19. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind reading other peoples work if they incorporate their TL Notes into the chapter. I've seen some which can be nice quips and others which appear distracting to say the least.

I usually just stick in TL notes at the end of my chapters. But each translator has their style, and I think that's fine. It's their personal touch.

Hoshiandme likes this.
  20. Magnatia

Magnatia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like them being footnotes with some kind of citation-like link to direct it to the said footnote. That way it doesn't break immersion and you have the option to immediately take a look at the TL notes

Hoshiandme likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.