Discussion How do you plan when writing a novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by 911, May 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 911

911 [Officer][Official Police][Tag me when needed]

Reading List:
    Link
    Kinda feel like i need to take a lot of time to get a good plot, and story while simultaneously making a progress in the same time.
    How do you even do this?
    Any thoughts for senpai that has a lot of experience in this type of thing.
    Any challenges while making it?

SummerForest likes this.
  2. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I stick to short stories to lessen the planning and effort involved.

But a technique would be having a general direction and watching out your pacing, whether you're going too fast or too slow in your plot progression.

Kuro_0ni and SummerForest like this.
  3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a section for that:

https://forum.novelupdates.com/forums/author-discussions.1057/

(and if you want less readers and more actual authors: https://forum.scribblehub.com/ NU sister site)

And what do you mean how do you make a plot and make progress?

Personally, I plot out the major events, then make the MC's personality to match the events. From then on the story just flows as I fill in minor events in between.

Kuro_0ni and 911 like this.
  4. 911

911 [Officer][Official Police][Tag me when needed]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohh nice,
    What i mean is, how the plot progression is made. Was it planned or just adaptive
    It's those little thing that i wonder about.

5. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    It mostly depends on the author. Some likes writing on the fly while others makes a careful planning.

Kuro_0ni and 911 like this.
  6. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    you must create the plot first, after that it's easy to make story of that plots.... the story will just came to your head,

911 likes this.
  7. Madoqua

Madoqua Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I always start by making a rough time table of the events I want to happen in my story. I'll add to it while writing. This gives a good overview of the story while avoiding plotholes and weird timeskips. After this I'll make a relationboard thingy of all the characters I want to put into the story, who knows who and who likes who etc. After this I make a character description of each character. The more precise the more time you'll save later on. Then the writing starts. (Sometimes I do a world building, class ranking, magic description, item description too, but this depends really on what kind of story you write)

Kuro_0ni and Cream like this.
  8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally prefer planned for major events and for the minor events, some are planned, some are not, depends.

A lot of web novels are written completely adaptive for obvious reasons, but that is precisely why a lot of them lack consistency and contradict themselves the longer they go on.

That isn't to say that novels that contradict themselves can't be a fun read, but personally these things get on my nerves. So by planning out the major events, I can be sure that there is as little contradiction mid novel or end of novel.

But at same time you can't plan everything, and new ideas pop up all the time. So I just backfill the minor events. If I want to get to a major event faster, I minimize the minor events, if I want to stall things out then I fill in more minor events. (I say fill, but even minor events should contribute to the story as a whole, even if it doesn't contribute to the plot, aka, comedy, character building and etc)

One thing I will say though is avoid the urge to give the reader too much information. I'm not saying leave the reader in the dark, but give them information little by little. The more information you give the reader, the more you limit your wiggle room. By only giving readers what they need to know, you can make modifications at any time without contradicting yourself.

Kuro_0ni, orematcha, Madoqua and 2 others like this.
  9. GoldenGoddess

GoldenGoddess ^.^

Reading List:
    Link
    I never plan, that's why I'm stuck at chapter 1. Maybe i should plan..

Kuro_0ni and Cream like this.
  10. Faye

Faye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually make a short note of short idea/plot that comes to mind and keep them somewhere in my gadget

When I start to make a story
    1. I will laid out all the major event and make a straight time line from one event to another
    2. Character building, his/her personality, soft background, motive and purpose [I planned at least 3 characters with complete background]
    3. Then I start to fill in the time line from starting point to a major with my short note [the so called short idea i stored]

There you have it. I always have the number 2 stored in details for 1 reason
    action and reaction, and how a certain personality will behave when faced with a certain event

so when you want to write what the x character do in reaction to something, you can try to trace it from his/her personality and then by logic/reasoning, you get what his/her action will be

Kuro_0ni, Cream and GoldenGoddess like this.
  11. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I stick to zero word stories to lessen the planning and effort involved :p

Madoqua and Bad Storm like this.
  12. GoldenGoddess

GoldenGoddess ^.^

Reading List:
    Link
    dearest you are lazy

13. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    I would have already died if not for writing so yeah, there's that...

14. GoldenGoddess

GoldenGoddess ^.^

Reading List:
    Link
    i write when I'm inspired or super depressed. Those two things hasn't happened yet for 2 months...so yeah.

15. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    >.> I dont think my language skills are good enough to even bother trying. Besides while I might have good, vague ideas for stories, I dont think I will be satisfied with it unless I create a whole living, breathing complex world to go with the story.

16. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm constantly shifting between those two. It's really hard sometimes. Writing is a good outlet plus it is less destructive than what my impulse suggests.

17. GoldenGoddess

GoldenGoddess ^.^

Reading List:
    Link
    the living breathing world you're talking about is built one word at a time..you are a wonderful wordsmith dearest.

18. GoldenGoddess

GoldenGoddess ^.^

Reading List:
    Link
    Do not give in to that impulse...tune it out..

Bad Storm likes this.
  19. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't forget relationship mapping it's just as important. Make a spider web with the main characters forming a ring in center, have strings branching out to side characters, locations, resources, factions, and so on.
    E.g. Romeo and Juliet would have a string to their families and there would be another string between the families to denote a blood feud.

Kuro_0ni, Cream and GoldenGoddess like this.
  20. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, I created the beginning, the end of the arc, the ultimate ending, the crucial plot points. Then, I go and find the story, connecting the dots and putting in an interesting situation.

Kuro_0ni and Madoqua like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.