Discussion What's the reason you dropped a novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by tak, May 3, 2019.

Tags:
?

What's the reason you stop reading a novel?

Poll closed May 10, 2019.
  1. Plot went bad

68.1%
  2. Forgot the novel title

10.9%
  3. Forgot last chapter read

15.7%
  4. Forgot the story but don't want to re-read

20.1%
  5. Haven't read for a while & there's too much to chapters catch up

20.5%
  6. Too much ads on translator site

22.3%
  7. Don't like the plot twist

23.6%
  8. Read the spoiler so no need to read the novel

7.9%
  9. Site is not mobile friendly

12.2%
  10. Misclick reading list & too lazy to find out the correct read chapter

5.7%
  11. Stockpile chapter forever

21.8%
  12. Love it too much, don't want it to end

11.4%
  13. Repetitive plot

48.9%
  14. Fav character is mistreated by author

16.2%
  15. Slow updates

27.5%
  16. Excessive discrimination

25.3%
  17. Slow plot

17.0%
  18. Character change

10.5%
  19. Sudden hateful tropes (NTR rape etc etc)

37.6%
  20. Paywall

30.6%
  21. Bad translations

25.8%
  22. Hate MC character

22.3%
  23. Tried reading, doesn't like it

29.3%
  24. Writing is too good, hate the villain too much

0.9%
  25. Novel is discontinued

24.9%
  26. Inconsistency or plot holes

25.8%
  27. Plot armor >9000

15.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    My main reason is usually rape
    Gratuitous rape is pointless
    I refused to watch Return of the Condor Hero for years
    Sex with a loli is another.
    Protagonist getting too strong too fast
    Romance
    Romance is very difficult to write, smart authors accept they suck at it and they simply flatter to deceive

novaes and Cream like this.
  2. Maraderchik

Maraderchik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh, oh, so futa x girl is straight or yuri, I'm confused.:sweating_profusely:

3. Karyehs

Karyehs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the time I drop novels for the following reasons:

1) Too many PoV switches for my taste. I don't give a fuck about most things that aren't from the perspective of the MC. This type of "worldbuilding" is just not interesting for me and feels like a lazy/easy way for the author to use 500+ words to set the scene.

2) Consequently wimpy/weak MC, especially when every reader should know he is capable of solving his situation easily.

3) Too bad or too slow translation that I simply lose interest to visit the site after a while. I got 20+ novels in my bookmarks that I planned to continue, but most likely never will - I skip them even when I am out of stuff to read.

4) Too many delays/fillers... You know, whenever a plotpoint should be resolved you get a cliffhanger, the next chapter is from a different perspective, the chapter after that almost resolves the situation in a decent/cool/flashy manner, just for the scene to pause and spend half the chapter to explain how this situation came to be. (even if it's obvious...).. It basically takes 3-4 chapters for something that could have been 2 chapters without fillers.

4. Kawalan

Kawalan 〚 Don't Stare 〛

Reading List:
    Link
    Biggest reasons for dropping is that I forgot the title, too slow an update caused by either slow or unmotivated translator or just ran out of source material. I like binge reading a series, reading 10-20 chapters depending on how long a chapter is in one sitting, so I don't read newly picked up translations and let those on my reading list reach my desired length before I continue reading but when the updates are too slow, I forget what the title was, what chapter I was on, what was the happening in the story and just drop it all together.

Another reason is bad plot development, I'm very easy to please that repetitive generic stuff is still appealing to me but inconsistency after inconsistency grinds my gears.

5. Lianyin

Lianyin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm I always try to finish a novel, but once in a blue moon, I drop novels midway if I find it hard to continue reading. Maybe it was simply too boring, or more accurately, maybe I didn't like the plot. Sometimes, it wasn't that the novel wasn't well-written (one of it was on the popular chart), but more like, it wasn't my cup of tea. Otherwise, I always try my best to finish it!

6. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read a negative review, and something inside me shattered. I'm like "wtf this is so accurate", then I couldn't read the novel the same way anymore.

novaes likes this.
  7. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    Same.
    I prefer my pairings to be straight.
    The plot becomes too predictive that I just stops reading it until there are more chapters so I can skim through those parts.
    Same here. Bad ML just spoils it for me especially when you know that the FL would definitely be with ML in the end.

I hate when CN starts bad mouthing JP and KR in their novels just because they are bias to country flaws and not individual. Too much of this just makes me lose the mood to read further.
    Happens when the stories have too many chapters of fillers that gets no where, which makes worst by slow updates from TL.

The worst I hate most is when the girls are all one dimension. Just one look and they'll immediately falls for the MC and somehow they are content to share the MC with other girls, meaning no fighting or jealousy.

Causal Reader and Bad Storm like this.
  8. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mostly , because of the writing style. If a novel does not progress logically, with proper world and character building , stuff just HAPPENS to the characters without a logical order of consequences, then I just drop it.
    Second reason would be bad comedy, eg. Everyone Is Returner. It's so immersion breaking that I just dropped it on the spot , the author calls the MC the "protocosmic virgin" , it's childish and his sidenotes are also very annoying.

9. Kawalan

Kawalan 〚 Don't Stare 〛

Reading List:
    Link
    I like how most negative reviews carry more truth than positive and neutral ones. They're pretty entertaining as well if you like salt in your life :blobsalt:

novaes likes this.
  10. CoffeeHour

CoffeeHour New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it is a completed novel with more than 3000 chapters, it feels too overwhelming to even start reading it. I will consider reading it only if it is a well-known novel with several good reviews. I have previously stopped reading one novel at around the 2800th chapter while it is still on-going, the plots become 'too tired' and 'forced' at that stage. I think most novels should not exceed 2500 chapters, it's better to start a new novel, eg. prequel and sequel style.

11. kuroeshiroe

kuroeshiroe Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Slow plot/bad pacing. That is what I hate the most unless it's comedy. I could tolerate many things but slow-moving stories are the absolute worst.

12. NGCleric

NGCleric Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the time when I drop a novel, it's from being busy and it's too low on my list. One exception has been vampire novels. MC gender-bent vampire novels specifically. I've seen 3 of them, and they either didn't interest me (not a fan of shoujo-ai) or ruined my interest ("let's start with mc being murdered but it's kay because of reason" was one, other being "I (the author) am going to kill off this side character that people like because I want to, and I'm going to do it in a way that really is dumb, but no one will care").
    Thus, I want to see how many of these vampire princess sees a rose colored dream applies to. May contain spoilers of the first two volumes, could not be bothered to read more.
    1. Plot went bad
      Vol 1 was okay, 2 was doing better until everyone went dumb.
    2. Don't like the plot twist
      Not sure if it counted as a plot twist, so much as unexpected: killing cute loli side-character off in a non-tragedy (?) story by means of her brother not setting up a proper guard (keep in mind, it's only been for the last 8 years that people have tried to kill her) and then finding out that he was betrayed by his aide (who hypocritically had her killed, but no one noticed). It was dumb and the only reason I kept reading was to see how MC would save the day (spoilers: she didn't care).
    3. Read the spoiler so no need to read the novel
      Read spoilers to find out if they were seriously doing this, they were. Read some spoiler as well that mc dies at the end of the story, further reducing my already 0 motivation to read more.
    4. Love it too much, don't want it to end
      Haha no.
    5. Fav character is mistreated by author
      Was going to say she wasn't my favorite, but then remembered I was considering dropping the story before meeting her. Wish I did.
    6. Sudden hateful tropes (NTR rape etc etc)
      Trustworthy aide turns out to be the bad guy. Not even done interestingly. One of the spoilers stated that mc would be raped in the future (which I think leads to her death)
    7. Bad translations
      MC could revive the dead kid, but stated she would only do it if she had died unnaturally. Kid died from poison. Original used a phrasing that better translates to "died from a violent death" - which meant her suicide by poison was too peaceful for MC to consider reviving the kid.
    8. Hate MC character
      For the above reason along with many others. Mainly, it felt the author wanted MC to be smart, but just made others stupid instead. Most of the characters just made bad decisions.
    9. Tried reading, doesn't like it
      Well... yeah.
    10. Writing is too good, hate the villain too much
      Is the MC the villain? Feels more... chaotic neutral.
    11. Novel is discontinued
      I wish.
    12. Inconsistency or plot holes
      Mostly with the aide. Like come one, he claims that the peasants shouldn't be in charge because they will justify any atrocity, while the kingdom he serves has been trying to kill children for 8 years (for reasons never actually stated) and he himself plans the death of a 12 year old girl he has known for all of her life in an attempt to get her brother to not support the common folk against a corrupt monarchy. Maybe he's actually mentally retarded?

So only about 10 of them.

Cream likes this.
  13. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Millions of reasons including chapters too short, nationalism, cowardice and HAHA YOU FOOL! You didn't notice it was YAOI! Enjoy your surprise buttsex!

Main reason is usually cringe inducing 'romance' scenes that often involve 'aphrodisiacs', because this character is either a sexual predator or sexual cauliflower who is so cowardly the only way they will ever get a girl is by stripping her of her agency, 'coz it's not rape if you fall in love afterwards! ;););)

Should probably mention the prologue/description/inner monologue etc contain spoilers. Lot of crappy novels do this, I think Close Combat Mage did it?

14. Kawalan

Kawalan 〚 Don't Stare 〛

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL, made my day.

Pray tell what novel had this nefarious trap in store for I need to avoid said article. :blobrofl:

novaes and readerz like this.
  15. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last time it happened was https://www.novelupdates.com/series/banished-to-another-world, TBH it was fairly homoerotic the whole time I read it, but I wanted to see manly hardcore things like fighting, cannibals and stealing people's wives so I stuck with it. Little did I know wife had a different meaning than normal...:oops:

Kawalan and readerz like this.
  16. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not easy to make me to. It generally depends on how bad plot/characters eventually turn and for how long

17. Kawalan

Kawalan 〚 Don't Stare 〛

Reading List:
    Link
    Lmao, not judging man, just that I rarely see someone bamboozled this way. :blobjoy:

novaes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.