What is the procedure if I want to get an editor?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by matanyaman, May 9, 2019.

1. matanyaman

matanyaman Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, yesterday I published my novel and I got a few comments in the forum that I need the the help of a ProofReader/Editor, so I wanted to know a few things in the subject like where can I recruit one, and If I need to pay and how much. And as much knowledge that I would need to have.

Kotohood likes this.
  2. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    pay that person. simple as that

doubt anyone will proof read for some newbie in their spare time like a devoted scrub.

3. matanyaman

Reading List:
    Link
    How much should I pay?

4. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    Really depends on a lot of stuff, like, how high quality is it to begin with and how high do you want it? If you want it almost perfect/like you’d see from a book in an actual bookstore then you’d probably want to actually hire one.
    If you want it as more of an average/good quality for a webnovel then if your translation is popular enough theres a good chance you’ll get one from your readers.
    It’s always an option to ask for one here aswell.

Edit: it also depends on whether or not you make money off the translation, if you do the editor should definitely get a cut, if you’re doing it for free in your spare time or something like that then it’s not always needed.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  5. raysha18

raysha18 [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    Try asking the forum section of the site where you published your work. Sometimes some readers are willing to work for free if they do have time or they want to read ahead of others, but don't expect too much as they will do it for free.

6. matanyaman

Reading List:
    Link
    If it isn’t too much over my budget, then I will probably choose to hire one. I just need to know how much it would cost me per chapter(2200~ words)

7. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Simplest way is to pay them, as in hire them as an actual job. Other way, it might be like you post a recruitment and someone apply.
    The pay is entirely depend on your English/Language quality, and how well you do in negotiating with the Editor. Some with good skills might even take a low pay or even no pay, but some with bad skills might charge you with skyrocketing prices, etc...
    You should always need the Editor to give you an example with their works 1st, before the negotiation. If you can't judge it yourself, you can even post the work in the forum for other people to help you judge it.

8. matanyaman

Reading List:
    Link
    Again, this is my first time doing something like that so I just want to know to what prices I should expect to.

In addition, I also want to know how and where to post the recruitment aside from the novel page.

9. c3ltic

c3ltic . . .

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know how accurate it is in regards to the rates. But it can at least give you a little better of a starting point in what you need to consider.

https://www.the-efa.org/rates/

10. MelBunns

MelBunns Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok so if you're willing to pay for an editor, there's a few general tiers you could go for.
    Tier 1: Hire a budget editor on Fiverr
    Tier 2: Hire a professional editor on Upwork
    Tier 3: Hire a top tier editor (You'd have to contact publishers & editors directly. Scribe used to offer that service but I'm not sure if they still do.)
    There's a bunch of other avenues of course, these are just the places my acquaintances have gone through.
    Hope this helps! :blob_grin: