Discussion Can We Have An Official History of Novelupdate?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GDLiZy, May 11, 2019.

?

Want to know the dark secret of this abyss?

1. There is no going back.

25 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. I rather stay clean and pure

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Like, a collection of events that had a massive impact on the community as well as the major update of the site itself.

Example: The Qidian drama would be one of the biggest things, following with the announcement of the Scribblehub. The mass DMCAs also qualify, and the recent Salt and KCDS drama might be big enough.

Fulminata likes this.
  2. Asdq

Asdq RSS FEED SECT! I WANT YOU FOR THE RSS ARMY!

Reading List:
    Link
    This thing about cataloging things, making map and getting all the info is cool but meeeeeeh, it's not worth.

Edit: if you are asking, then you will do yourself, so, good lucky and call me when is done.

Fallion likes this.
  3. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The yaoipocalypse that's going on is going to go down in history I believe
    More than half the novels on the front page are always yaoi. The fujoshis are taking over goddammit. It's embarrassing when you realize that there are not as many yuri because guys just don't read as much.

4. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    The Masquerade should also count, so do the establishment and reestablishment of AG.
    Creation of rps too.

5. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Nobody really care enough to make a catalogue for it. If you want, then you can be the one to do it.

Asdq likes this.
  6. Elzio

Elzio Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isekai Boooming... First Isekai on NU

7. Kawalan

Kawalan 〚 Don't Stare 〛

Reading List:
    Link
    People have tried, personally I don't think it's worth the time.

8. tak

tak ignorant but well-meant

Reading List:
    Link
    i know literally only SH announcement. what drama did i miss:blobpopcorn_two:

9. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yuri is meh.... I’m a guy and while I don’t actively avoid yuri, I’m not really interested either.
    I do however avoid gender bender, shounen ai and yaoi.

10. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    so when NU first started since this site had what I think 3 isekai when the site first started.

11. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    The issue with Yuri is that while the translators are trying to do their jobs, their hands keep wandering south.

Walter vi Britannia and GDLiZy like this.
  12. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    Well novelupdates started to get popular after aho updates and Baka Tsuki ended. Then WW became popular as license novels began to drop and no more good JPs allowed. Then WebNovel came in and started getting translators under their banner lol. Blah blah not enough time to describe everything. Then a battle of WW happen, revealing WebNovel true colors

13. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    It sucks because I’ve seen every time people ask for recommendations, there’s a lot of Yaoi suggested lol. Now you have to specially put no yaoi claimer when asking for a novel lol

Walter vi Britannia likes this.
  14. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's the general highlights.

1. Novelupdates was born
    2. Novelupdates competed in popularity with Aho-updates (that appeared earlier which also indexed original stories)
    3. Dan got bored with aho-updates and after several bugs, novelupdates took point
    4. Isekai got invaded by shianshia
    5. Shianshia fanatics called shianshia the best thing since sliced ham, and harassed everyone who still read Japanese novels
    6. Shianshia fanatics took to becoming racist and further harassed people who still read Japanese novels
    7. Ren started taking money (commission, not donation) for translating, and quit his day job.
    8. People started to think it was a good way to make money and started for-profit translations businesses
    9. The mods (or maybe just Tony) cracked down on the racist shianshia fanatics. Many people were permabanned.
    10. As for-profit translation blossomed, fan-translations were constantly harassed for not delivering the next chapters fast enough.
    11. Many fan-translators quit the translation scene, considering the constant harassments as not worth their time and sanity.
    12. For-profit translation took over fan-translated titles, and evil aggregators blossomed. They existed before, but they were weak, as since there was not enough translation to sustain traffic, they were working at a loss. With more translation, they were working at a profit.
    13. Ren wanted to go legit, so he signed a licensing agreement with Qidian.
    14. Qidian wanted in on the action, so they promised several things, ask @LysUltima
    15. Qidian lied about everything, and they refused to honour their own promises to the translators and the readers.
    16. Qidian bought Gravity Tales, but when confronted, the head of Gravity Tales, lied about being bought by Qidian.
    17. Gravity Tales members found something suspicious about their leader, and wanted out. Gravity Tales head made a fuss about it.
    18. Redditers provided evidence that Gravity Tales was bought by Qidian. Gravity Tales stock in the community plummeted to the nastiest dirt ever.

For the rest, go ask someone else.

15. CuberAzrael

CuberAzrael 『 Hymn of Gratitude』

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks you for the summary of NU history. I've been looking for this and even go as far as the 2nd page of google, found nothing.
    Try looking further and finally found it

Ai chan likes this.