Feature Request Better Review Exposure

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by lnv, May 12, 2019.

1. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    So I've been thinking, right now reviews show the most liked review on top, but above that new reviews get a chance for exposure at the top for 30 days.

While that may work fine for new novels, it gets complicated for old novels as it is extremely difficult to scale 30-100+ reviews in 30 days. And while some top liked reviews are decent, many of them are pretty poor due to it containing only reading a few chapters.

Now of course there has been talk about how to treat these reviews, but how about a more simple intermediate solution? Give reviews with 2-3+ likes more exposure at the top.

Kind of like this:

[All new 30 day reviews]
    [1 review that is randomly picked that has 2-3+ votes]
    [Top reviews by likes in order]

In this way, reviews that are over 30 days will still get exposure once a blue moon and won't be unseen on the 10th page. Cause lets be honest, how many people read even the entire first page of reviews? Let alone a 2nd or 3rd. And someone who posted a review first doesn't mean their review is any better.

In this way, reviews still have a purpose and can show up from time to time to get exposure and not be stuck where there is nothing to read.

2. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    I never liked the idea of looking at reviews based on how many likes they’ve gotten. Because often you get the case that people look at the first few and give them likes. Then you’ve got reviews that get +20 likes while there are loads more that barely get any. Not because they’re not good but because people haven’t bothered to read them cos they only have a quick look at the first few.

And if you think about it, a review is the persons opinion on a novel. A like is an opinion(?) on someone’s opinion of a novel. Seems kinda dumb to me to list the reviews based on likes. It would be good if there was a sorting feature where you can select to look at reviews based on the ratings given. If you could toggle between 5 stars to unrated, or even the opposite, you might be able to getter a better understanding of how good the novel is.

Or there could be a filter feature. Where you could select too look at only 5 star reviews, or 4 stars, 3 stars etc. If you don’t want to look at a lot of reviews and want to have a quick look then this feature would help to give you a general understanding of people’s opinion on a novel~

Nom de Plume likes this.
  3. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    random picking of a review will rise many questions, especially from the side of the translators...

4. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically, you can view most recent reviews first but it doesn't work all the time

5. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes it is flawed, but overall, likes help you grasp how accurate a review is. Often times even personally I use reviews to cover for the synapses. But the flaw of it is that the longer a review exists, and the higher it is, the more likes it will have. So after 30 days, new reviews have little room to overcome that gap even if they are better.

There have been plenty of discussion on how to fix it or do things better, but all that would require an overhaul and a lot of planning. What I'm proposing is a simple workaround. It doesn't fix the issue, but it at least gives non-top reviews a chance.

Why? You are only randomly putting 1 review on top.(though under the new reviews).

And what do translators having to do with anything?

Ha? There are currently 2 options, 30 days new + likes or by date. They both work fine, but that is unrelated to what I am talking about.

6. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason why NU has the legitimacy it does is because it is both reader and translator friendly. Translators do have a say in what happens to their novel, though it is more of a case by case scenario.

A random review can be positive or negative. She translators may not like negative reviews getting ANY kind of push. It simply isn't in their benefit.

And if we only push positive reviews... It is a personal opinion but I think not pushing based on positive or negative but rather the date is a better thingy.

Nom de Plume and Wujigege like this.
  7. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    You are making no sense, plenty of novels have negative reviews as top reviews with most likes.

Not to mention NU is already putting new reviews on top for 30 days, so what difference is a random review with 2-3+ likes getting exposure make to translators?

Not to mention it you think suppressing reviews gives NU legitemecy? o_O

8. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    .... Pch.

Negative reviews by likes is something that translators know they cannot question. So they don't talk to NU about it.

Since ALL new reviews are up there, again, they don't have a problem. Both of these have a pretty straight forward selection policy of the review in question.

At no point of time did I EVER mention suppressing reviews.

Now, why will translators have a problem with the selection policy of reviews that you suggested? Cuz it has an element of chance, rather than certainty. To better put it, they have an option of blaming NU for selecting reviews that are super critical on a discriminatory basis. They have the right to question our algorithm. You are expecting translators to be rational or something. No. They care about their page views, and the marketing that NU gives to their story.

And NU, on its part, generally removes links when the translator asks for it.

In the situation where a translator agrees for the random selection, they would prefer a random selection among the positive reviews.

This is purely my thought process and as such, there might be glaringly obvious assumptions. I feel like I have made reasonably plausible assumptions with regards to human behavior.

9. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    You can most definitely question it, I already did when pointing out most of the high liked reviews are old reviews with many of them only reading a few chapters. I doubt any translator would be happy of negative reviews being on top simply because the first few people to review it didn't like the beginning.

By nature, all reviews below the first page are suppressed, no one reads them. Of course this is understandable if the reviews on top are more accurate, but we are talking about old reviews that only read a few chapters giving inaccurate reviews.

If 1 review is on top that is random (there is no algorithm), no translator is gonna care, it is only 1 review that is random. I'm not saying all should be random, I'm saying only 1. And the review would have to have at least a few minimum likes to get there. Since that review is random, no one can say anything because randomness can't be biased.

In retrospect if negative reviews are on top, wouldn't that make translators think NU's algorithm is biased? Or that NU is allowing manipulation of votes? Or how unfairly it allows for reviews?

One can think many things. You want to claim that translators are irrational, then trying to rationalize one thing over the other.

Sure, translator would prefer random positive reviews, but they won't care if 1 review is random at all... in comparison, the people writing reviews would most definitely appreciate if their reviews aren't wasting in the back never to be read again.

10. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s only if someone who has read the novel reads the review and gives it a like. But I don’t think that’s likely in most cases since if you’re already reading the novel you don’t really have a need to read the reviews.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  11. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Obviously the ones who give out likes are the ones who read the novel (albeit you don't know how far). But the reviews themselves influence people who haven't read it.

Not to mention reviews can influence how a person reads a novel or can cause a person to not read as well.

Another consideration is a person can read a novel, find something stupid and go read reviews to see if it gets better in the future. But in the future is "relative". Aka, you may have not liked chapter 1-5, and review is from chapter 15, but it gets really good at chapter 20.

12. SleepyFox

SleepyFox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd like to see the reviews with less chapters read get pushed to the bottom, then start filtering on date/likes/reputation etc.

EDIT: ^^ That's not to say a review with less chapters read would absolutely be below those with more, it would just have a harder time reaching the top - a handicap of sorts.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  13. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s a string and not a number meaning sorting like that would require some finangling. Additionally... it can be entered manually meaning people might push a higher number can get to the top. I like the idea of it, but it’s going to be manipulated if it’s implemented :/