Discussion Multiple translators for one novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Dummy, May 14, 2019.

?

Should I try asking NU admin to take down the other group's release

1. yes

2. no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dummy

Dummy Need nyans

Reading List:
    Link
    Recently, my group spent over a month contacting the previous translators of a series for them to give us permission to continue translating the novel they have dropped as the author had explicitly given them permission. Due to various reasons, negotiations took over a month but we finally got the author's permission transferred over to our group. However, a day before we planned to release the chapters, we discovered another tl had been uploading a couple of chapters. After discussion, we've decided to merge.

Today, some of my readers informed me that the novel was being translated by another group (with only one chapter available and exactly where I left off yesterday). My question is, what should we do.

In the case where the author has explicitly stated her wishes that she only allows her free chapters to be translated, do we have the right to ask them to cease their translations immediately(they only have one chapter currently), knowing that they do not have the author's permission and have every intention to exploit and translate chapters past the unlocked chapters?

Also, does this warrant an email to NU admin, will they entertain me if I ask them not to show the group's release for only that particular novel?

My translators have worked very hard over a month in order to obtain the permission, and there was even an announcement stating that we were obtaining permission, and will be taking over the translation.

2. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    if you have the author's permission, that's cool. you can try ask that group to take down their chapter or better yet, working together to release chapters (but there's a possibility that there will be inconsistencies).

As far as I know, you can't send cease and desist by using only verbal/written permission from the author but someone can correct me if im wrong.

Cream and thisworldofmine1 like this.
  3. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
    Tsk, is this BL novel?

4. Demonic Poring

Demonic Poring 『Well-Known Poring』

Reading List:
    Link
    Just ask them to take it down. Usually translators (good one) care about it

thisworldofmine1 likes this.
  5. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    just DMCA them.... if you have author permission,

Rumby and thisworldofmine1 like this.
  6. Dummy

Dummy Need nyans

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not really that I have permission. But the group that has it has agreed to transfer all permission over to us. So I guess that can count?
    Sorry, what's DMCA

hurhur yes

we're trying to get in touch with them, but they're kinda like a sorta-large (growing site like QI) although definitely not on that scale yet. Unsure if they will respond as it is simply a platform for multiple translators.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2019
  7. Asdq

Asdq RSS FEED SECT! I WANT YOU FOR THE RSS ARMY!

Reading List:
    Link
    And later people complain about Qidian. That's is the truth, while complains about using the State to force people, they love use the State to force people. In this case is simple, both are translating the same novel, some time someone will stop or will seek for colaboration to translate together. I hope that you are being sarcastic.

listener likes this.
  8. thisworldofmine1

thisworldofmine1 Grandmaster of Danmei Cultivation

Reading List:
    Link
    Which novel is it?

9. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Asdq

Reading List:
    Link
    PEOPLE care about this, translating the same thing is a work loss.

11. Otwentyfirst

Otwentyfirst skillfully clueless // lazy book reader ;)

Reading List:
    Link
    man that was a lot of extra info that didn't have to go in there. basically what you're saying is you have permission to translate but another group, who doesn't have permission, posted before you.

should their stuff be taken down?

just ask them to take it down if it offends you. it doesn't look like you chatted with them, though you've chatted with the other groups. or really better yet you can just dcma since you are a representative of the author with exclusive rights to translate in English.

Rumby, Cream and thisworldofmine1 like this.
  12. Asdq

Reading List:
    Link
    thisworldofmine1 and listener like this.
  13. Dummy

Dummy Need nyans

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really want to resort to legal action since it will complicate things and we're only planning to translate up to the author's free chapters. We are in the midst of contacting them, but it looks like it will be hard to get in touch. Frankly, it's alot more trouble than it's worth, many of us just want to give up but my translators who have worked tirelessly over a few months will feel regretful if we give up here. So I was just wondering if NU admin will be of help in this case

14. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are going to be transferred the author's permission to translate, and you can prove it legitimately, then contacting Tony would probably be a smart move. What Tony may say is up to him but it never hurts to try

15. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    @runsing @marine1corps
    If thisTL really does have the author permission and the proof, I think NU should consider them to be the official translator in spite of the less time NU considers them to have released chapters.

Cream and Sabruness like this.
  16. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the case of multiple groups translating one series, NU already have a guidelines on which translations we will or will not accept. You will find the rules on profile - add releases page.

In your case, as both groups are new translator that picked up from previous translators, both translator have the right to get their translation posted. Our complete policy could be read here.
    NU will not accept a translation, if:
    There’s an active translator for the novel. An active translator is a translator who has released at least two releases within the past 30 days OR has caught up with the latest raw chapters (the latest raw chapter must be translated within 30 days), has been translating the series for at least 30 days and has translated over 30 releases according to the raw site for the series. This rule does not apply to you if any of these applies to you:
    • If you start translating the series from the beginning. No, you cannot translate chapter 1 then do a chapter jump to chapter 50. Your chapter 1 would be accepted while your chapter 50 wouldn’t.
    • If you have permission from the current active translator
    • If your releases were accepted when there were no active translators at the time
    • If you have translated at least 50 releases (according to the raw site) for the series
    • If you were an active translator at any point for the series
    • If your releases were accepted due to meeting the requirements at any point

I hope you will be able to contact the other translator and reach an agreement.

@MangoGuy I get your points, but personally I found multiple translations to be fine. As for NU, I believe being neutral is the best option.

Cream, Vina, Westeller and 2 others like this.
  17. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    well just ask @Tony , and don't forget to mention my name to him :blobpopcorn_cool:,

Cream likes this.
  18. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can always appeal to @Tony. ... But I think your best bet would be directly negotiating with the other translator. While I personally respect translators who make efforts to legitimize their translations, Novel Updates strives to maintain a comprehensive directory, and refusing to link to any particular group's releases is in direct contention with that goal. We do have policies against poaching, but they're strictly limited and meant to protect translators from abuse, not deter competition.

Cream and runsing like this.
  19. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    yup, it's fine, like JNC group said, we will destroy them with speed and quality translation :blobpopcorn_cool:

Dummy likes this.
  20. Jaspaaar

Jaspaaar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all, I wouldn't expect much from trying to contact that new translation group. They aren't a translation group in the normal sense - they're a Chinese startup which also operates an aggregator site.

As for the matter of legality, while you may be morally in the right: contacting the original translation group and only translating free chapters etc, legally you're unlikely to be in a position any stronger than the new group. I'm assuming the first group only had informal permission from the author, not some kind of contracted transferable license which they could pass on at will. And that informal permission probably didn't have any legal standing in the first place, since the publishing sites themselves typically own the novels, not the authors.

If you can outpace the new group then you should just carry on, ignoring them. Or drop the novel unfortunately.

Wujigege, Cream and Westeller like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.