Discussion Multiple translators for one novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Dummy, May 14, 2019.

?

Should I try asking NU admin to take down the other group's release

1. yes

2. no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dummy

Dummy Need nyans

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand, base on our group, we have a chance of outpacing them, but even then, this project was meant to be a hobby, but it suddenly turned into a competition and even if we can, I'm not sure I want to push my group to work tirelessly day and night just to outdo the other group. It feels really unfair, but I understand what you mean about the publishing sites owning the novel. Also, the legality of translations are really in the grey area and thus, I don't want to be caught up in too many troublesome things.

Cream likes this.
  2. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    if it's just a hobby, you don't need to care about the other group then, just do it with your pace and style :blobpopcorn_cool:

3. Dummy

Dummy Need nyans

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you, I really needed to hear that. Everything has just been so frustrating, because it's not just me, but a collective effort and I don't want to see my translator's effort go down the drain like that when some other group comes in and completely disrespect us by posting their own translations.

listener and Cream like this.
  4. Demonic Poring

Demonic Poring 『Well-Known Poring』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, some don't give a fuck about it

5. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Contact them first, if they want to carry on translating, there is no need to fight over this. You just released what you have translate so far and move on the next project.

Otwentyfirst likes this.
  6. Otwentyfirst

Otwentyfirst skillfully clueless // lazy book reader ;)

Reading List:
    Link
    There's no go down the drain. Just post my man (or lady) just post! The work is done what more is there to say? Are you worried people won't read your group's work because the other group already posted their stuff?

Since you guys are doing this for fun, REMEMBER the FUN part. This doesn't sound very fun for you guys anymore.

edit: oh wait. you know... it's not quite fair to say the other group is disrespecting you. where did that even come from? how do you even know? did they call you guys out or insulted you guys like... your group sucks or something? that wouldn't be cool. i got the impression there wasn't any contact between your two groups. they just beat you to the punch in posting their translations, that's no call to be mad. ultimately you must remember the work belongs to the copyright holder. if that entity isn't bothered then maybe you should just chill.
    i know you said you posted a notice about your negotiations on your page, but that doesn't mean they read your stuff. without knowing the title of the work i can only assume they saw a break in translation and scooped it up because it was fair game = two weeks no updates anyone can pick up.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Cream, runsing and Dummy like this.
  7. Dummy

Dummy Need nyans

Reading List:
    Link
    not really concerned that people won't read, I won't go into quality but basically, we're more just like "why?????" and yeah, we've decided to just continue at our own pace whether or not they reply to us. gona remember the FUN

8. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So let me get it right first:

There is 3 TL group in the story:

TL A is the one that get permission (I’m assuming informal) from Author to translate his/her novel (only free chapter(?)). TL A then drop the project

TL B is you, reach out to TL A and get permission to continue the project, and you only gonna translate the free chapter. Free chapter here is the raw free chapter right? You don’t have the direct permission from the author itself?

TL C is a new player that translating the same project. They translate the chapter after yours which is not the free chapter, am I correct?

So under those details that I got, here is my view:

1. If you don’t get direct permission from the author, then legally you are on the same boat as TL C. While you got the OK from TL A, author only give permission to TL A and not to other TL group. Unless TL A tell this to author that you gonna take over and they say ok.

2. DMCA, skip this part. As far as I know DMCA is a US Law which may or maynot work in your story.

3. Will the RAW locked chapter become free so your team can continue translating the next chapter or it will be locked forever? If it will be locked forever, then I don’t see the issue here from your POV. You will not translate locked chapter while TL C will translate that part.

The only issue that I can see is that you probably feels TL 3 break the rules while you have “emotional link” with the author and you feels they need to do the right thing which is follow the author’s wish for not translating locked chapter.

If the locked chapter will become free (and you keep your policy of not translating/publishing the locked chapter) then I think you will be in “big trouble”. While you abide the rules, TL C may already translate multiple chapters ahead of you, cutting out the potential reader

There are several solutions that I think works for you:

1. Contact TL C and explain the situation, you can even rope them to your team for this project (following your rule of course). This is the best scenario.

2. Another option is for you to play within the same rule as TL C, which mean you gonna break the rules set by the author (not translating locked chapters). Not ideal but if you think you can corner TL C and force them to quite the project because you are faster, better, stronger then go ahead. When they stop, you can always go back to your previous rules anyway.

3. Stick to the original plan. Just keep translating on your own pace and your rules. Ignore TL C.

4. Took another project. The last option that I can think of. Not ideal at all but it probably what your team need to avoid the headache and heartache

Cream and Dummy like this.
  9. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Life is very simple.
    Stop over complicating things.
    Beat them with speed or drop the novel.
    Not worth the stress. Life is too short......long

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.