Have you ever waltzed?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Walter vi Britannia, May 15, 2019.

1. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have. It was at a ball.
    It was the most surreal experience ever. The beautiful ballroom, being on the dancefloor, how her body moved within my arms, always within my embrace perfectly no matter where I moved, it was like she was floating in front of me weightless, and I was moving her around.

I don't know why I remembered this suddenly. It's 4:40am and I think I'm high off of insomnia. (By the time I finished writing this whole thing, it's 5:20...took me way too long to put some of my thoughts into sentences.)

Anyway, I suddenly remembered this and really felt like I wanted to share that feeling. I wanna know if other people have experienced that.

Was that my first ball? I don't remember. Wasn't really into classy stuff back then. But I remember being very nervous at first, but it turned out to be the most magical thing I've ever experienced. Concerts and those less formal parties let you be free and dance to your own tune, but in here you must follow a pattern and be mindful of your movements and form. It's feels completely different and methodical...but it felt like there was a place reserved just for me there for that particular reason that I've prepared for. Like, others were dancing on the same floor but everyone had their own spaces, no worry about others stepping in, like you're given your own little world to be in, a place on the dance floor just for you to show off which everyone there acknowledges.

It's like playing a violin, like they say "fit as a fiddle". You must be at the right place, with the right movements, executed with absolute perfection. It's hard to get it right, but if you can get it right, everything just fits so well. Like its supposed to be there. Like puzzle pieces falling together, or gears moving together by being in the right place moving at the right pace. Me being the cogwheel in that system, knowing exactly what I'm doing, it's like the greatest feeling of satisfaction ever.

The dance took just enough attention from me to not be overwhelmed by the fact that I'm dancing with a woman I am not intimate with. Also knowing that I have her consent to touch certain parts of her body let my mind be free on the dance floor without worry if I may have overstepped my bounds.

It really was a surreal feeling in that dimly lit ballroom. I have experienced countless classy parties since then so I don't think I'll ever be able to recreate that feeling which only comes from first time experiencing something like that, but I still remember that feeling from my first time experiencing a whole new world, it was unforgettable. Also I've already stopped taking dance instructions a long time ago so my moves are very rusty.

It's weird, my parents got me into all these fancy classes and made me learn many useless things...but it feels like only recently am I truly starting to understand the value of those.

Anyway, it's more or less like reading what is now your favorite novel for the first time. I was mesmerized and I wish to experience it for the first time again if I could...but I don't think that's possible. That was the only time I danced at a formal event, and it was the best it could've been...so it leaves me with a void in my heart from having that magical moment pass.

(Also I really need to go to bed. Sorry if I don't reply within the next few hours.)

2. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    yup, in miku miku dance app

3. LK

LK Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have waltzed but it wasn't as awesome as your experience.

Walter vi Britannia likes this.
  4. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, i suppose i waltzed but never danced.....

Donutmindme and StuffedDuck like this.
  5. Jbird

Jbird Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I have two sisters and my dad felt that everyone should know how to waltz. So my first waltzes were all danced with my sisters.

Kinda takes the romance out of it for life... (n)

StuffedDuck likes this.
  6. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    They had us do it in school, but I've never done so recreationally. I'm pretty sure the principle played the YMCA for it or something, and the whole thing was un-majestic.

mir, vlue, strayCat0 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ruyue

Ruyue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Never done it before.

Walter vi Britannia and otaku31 like this.
  8. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    in my school we had modern dance with boom music and shaking your head like a crazy, with many peoples at once, it's fun, but not romantic at all.:blobpopcorn_two:

strayCat0 likes this.
  9. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Was too high class for me.

10. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m afraid I got mental image of that...”dance” in Prisoner of Azkaban...:p

11. orematcha

orematcha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have never... :blobpats:

Walter vi Britannia and otaku31 like this.
  12. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Waltz and Argentine tango are my two favorite dances. Which type of waltz are we talking about here, vwaltz or standard??

Beltran likes this.
  13. Beltran

Beltran Seafarer

Reading List:
    Link
    That is a good experience you have there. The dancing part of the event is actually the most pleasing as you just focus on the music and your partner. The other parts can be stuffy.

14. Kawalan

Kawalan 〚 Don't Stare 〛

Reading List:
    Link
    waltz out of the party, does that count?

Donutmindme, orematcha and otaku31 like this.
  15. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, sounds fun. I believe I learned the leek dance after seeing it there once.

16. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, that does sound like a meaning of waltz...but I am talking about the dance waltz. Not the....this....

17. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, there wasn't anything romantic between me and my partner either. We were just chosen beforehand to partner up with each other and our only interaction had been the dancing. I don't know if it's common courtesy or what, but we didn't pry anything further by talking or getting to know each other.
    I think I heard some cheezy lines about ballroom dancing before, 'The men take the lead because the man holds her and takes a step forward, making the invitation. Then it is the woman's job to take a step back and accept that invitation to let the man take her on a journey on the dance floor.' (I don't know where I heard that, maybe it was a movie...but I feel like an actual famous ballroom dance instructor said those similar words.)
    Well, it felt something like that. No intimate romance involved, like going on a roller coaster ride then leaving satisfied with an amazing experience.

Jbird likes this.
  18. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    YMCA? lol
    Is that even a piece you can waltz to? Waltz pieces have 3 beats, because its mostly about the dance that's based around three steps.

Well, maybe Queen's 'We Will Rock You' could be waltzed to?
    But I don't think anybody would be able to keep moving their body so gracefully if that is playing. (An uncontrollable desire to start jamming would surface. haha)

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  19. GoldenGoddess

GoldenGoddess ^.^

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes...prom...let's leave it at that.

20. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, me too. But I guess everyone like me who had been forced into places like this by their parents when they were young felt like this.