LCD I Alone Level-Up

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by jacobpaige, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm shocked he spared the guy. I mean, the crazy dude clearly wanted to kill him, and it's not like he doesn't have a history of responding in kind. Even if he "surrendered" in the end, there's no reason to let him off the hook, really.

Err.. When you use "this is a korean novel so the MC should know better than to trust the Japanese, and a super powerful monster is obviously going to appear" as actual reasoning, I have to ask... what are you doing? He had no good reason to believe the raid wouldn't go well, and he did have a contingency in case it went sideways. Instant teleportation through shadows means he could always step in. The broadcasting delay was something he didn't know about, either, IIRC, and just wasn't something he anticipated.

And there's nothing at all unusual about skipping a straightforward raid in favor of his mother who, y'know, had been out of the hospital for all of five minutes. Rather, his entire life up to that point had revolved around the fact that she was comatose in the hospital. For years. Forcing him to raise his sister himself and risk his life (literally) countless times just to support the two of them. It's absolutely bonkers to suggest that he wouldn't favor his mother in the short term.

Also, IIRC (god we're talking about something from forever ago), she was up watching the darn raid live, like everyone else in the darn country, so how you expect him to have "snuck out while she was asleep and ridden a dragon to the island" is completely beyond me. (And why would he even do that when he can teleport...)

Fan2zz and userunfriendly like this.
  2. PedoBear Version 2.0

PedoBear Version 2.0 「 Lvl. 69 Legendary Pantsu Hunter !」

Reading List:
    Link

Because it was a korean novel in the first place... Unlike most japanese mc where they act as a saint,saving everyone they encounter, forgiving someone that tried to kill them,overpowered some shitty op beast that decimate some country to act as a dog. Most korean mc act more like a person, they tend to be a little selfish and most want some compensation to things they accomplished, what I want to say is that just like a normal person they have their own flaws and problem and also have their own priorities , Rather than asking why the mc didn't try to help in the beginning , ask yourself why should he try to help them in the first place ? Because of some risk and other factors and after comparing the safety of his family and the safety of the nation, ofcourse his family is more important to him...because the situation isn't dire in the first place, and he even sent the shadow thingy so he can teleport if needed, the whole thing can be resolved without him if the accident didn't happen...
    Ah i suck at explaining things...

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Fan2zz and userunfriendly like this.
  3. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes it was, and I agree. Please remember ALL Korean men are momma’s boys...cough, cough, I mean we adhere to traditional Confucian conduct toward parents...:p

4. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    No, you’ve given a good explanation...

Incomplete, though. The missing part of your explanation is subtle...

One thing about this novel is that people are realist, and they understand hunters are risking their lives. Hunters retire, and the Association has the right to draft local hunters Incase of a breakout.

The implication that as human beings, hunters have the right to decline tasks, and that no one can force a hunter to fight. Of course dungeon breakouts are different...

:blobtongue:

Fan2zz likes this.
  5. IronDoge

IronDoge Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude, did you miss the part where everyone on the planet knows the colony killed several S-Ranks in the past, on multiple occasions? (This was subjugation attempt #4.) And they know it's bigger and stronger than ever? It's obvious the chance of an S-rank dying (as well as a TPK) was far higher than 1%.

The only legitimate reason he wouldn't go alone is if he believed he wasn't vastly above the rest of the S-Ranks
    after killing a demon king and his massive army solo
    or if he was afraid of dying. Which the author can't bring himself to write that down because Jin-Woo is a macho badass ubermensch by this point, incapable of feeling fear.

What are you talking about?

FOUR DAYS. HE HAD FOUR DAYS, BEFORE THEY INITIATED THE RAID. FOUR DAYS.

That's 96 hours. He could have spent two days resting, playing dungeons and dragons with his mom (just theoretically, if she were an actual person and not a prop. It was more important to show us what a swell dude Jin-Woo was by bullying a powerless and narratively meaningless serial killer instead, I guess.), and then had the place 48 hours to himself.

He should absolutely almost never want to teleport into a dangerous fight, because the thing has a multiple hour-long cooldown on it. It's his escape hatch in case something appears that even he can't handle. This is a pretty basic and obvious tactical decision, right?

"Help"????

Those bastards were trying to steal his EXP and army upgrades. And get some of themselves killed in the process, at best.

That's the entire crux of the problem here. If Jin-Woo is a hero of justice, his behavior is that of an asshole. If Jin-Woo is a self-interested greedy human being, his behavior is that of an idiot. The only rational, reasonable explanation for his actions is that was using the other people as canon fodder first.

My problem isn't that he's an asshole or an idiot or despicably uses other people, some of my favorite characters are all three. It's that the narrative acts like he's a "good" person. If the author didn't feel it necessary to have an NPC tell us to think he's a swell guy, I wouldn't be half as bothered by this.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    VinnyOni1 likes this.
  6. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    First point...

Jin-Woo knew the plan, and certainly the Association President would NOT authorize the mission unless he was confident of success and keeping the S class hunters alive. If Jin-Woo’s lack of participation endangered the Korean hunters, then when Jin-Woo declined to participate, the Association President would have called it off. The Association President wanted the extra security of Jin-Woo’s participation, yet he still signed off on the mission. Jin-Woo’s attitude is that people are free to make their own decisions...and they have to live with the consequences.

I do agree about the shadow swap skill being an emergency evacuation skill... Jin-Woo used the daily workout reward as his trump card in the past, when he was worried about fighting hard monsters...

I disagree about the Jeju raid stealing his experience. The whole POINT of the demon castle raid was to make the medicine.

“When that term came out of the TV’s speakers, Jin-Woo wordlessly switched the TV off. In all honesty, he also didn’t want to miss out on this operation. His heart began racing so fast after he thought of all the experience points he’d get to earn when Association President Goh Gun-Hui requested for his participation in the raid.

However, his excitement cooled down in no time at all. And he was able to objectively and coldly analyse the situation.

‘It hadn’t even been one day since Mom woke up.’

More than that, his mom didn’t know that her son was a Hunter yet. He also recalled the sight of his mother staying up all night for several months after she heard the news of his father going missing inside the Gate all those years ago, too.

He couldn’t bring himself to tell mom that he was going to Jeju Island when she was already carrying around such a painful memory, to begin with.

His lips didn’t want to part and provide an answer. He wanted to spend some time with his family for a few days, at the least. And he definitely didn’t want to delay the moment he’d been fighting for so long for some other matter.”

Last paragraph, last sentence says it all. :p

He was fighting in a Demon Castle to get his mom back.

His stated motivation for getting stronger is to protect the people he cares about. And his freedom.:p

Edit:

Here be a much more emotional and to the point quote.

“….I will….”

Jin-Woo barely made up his mind and spoke with great difficulty.

“….Not take part in the operation.”

The one thing far more precious than experience points, the reason why he gritted his teeth and endured everything in order to become stronger. He did not regret making this choice.”

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  7. PedoBear Version 2.0

Reading List:
    Link
    Just like what the guy above said and what I also said, The mc has his own priorities...
    #1. Protecting his family
    #2. Getting stronger (to protect his family)
    #3. Helping if he can(i guess ?)
    #4. Fight (he was a battle maniac)
    So obviously his mom is more important than the xp and army upgrade you spoke of and No he is niether a greedy bastard nor a hero of justice,just because he didn't help doesn’t mean he was a bad person. imagine here, with him being that powerful, him doing nothing is a lot more better than abusing his power, between good and bad you could say he has decent personality??He wouldn't help some random people if he don't have enough reason yet he would also save someone he knows if endangered. Afterall he was a "hunter" not the guardian/protector of korean/humanity...

userunfriendly likes this.
  8. VinnyOni1

VinnyOni1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's probably the biggest issue with the whole thing. The guy is suppose to be exp crazy (hence why he solo levels and wants a guild just for the sake of furthering that goal. But a huge pile of experience lands in his lap and he goes "nah my mom is back so I can't leave her for even a second".

I get wanting to spend time with your mom after she wakes up but like you said, she has to sleep. And while she sleeps he can do as he pleases. I'm sure he wasn't creepily standing over shoulder while she slept, bath, etc. The bit should have just been written better.

9. VinnyOni1

Reading List:
    Link
    Easily remedied. Ask the association president to cover for him and say they moved the operation up but wanted to keep all the S-Class who took part a secret. Or say it was one of those guys more powerful than S-Class. Really any lie would do as long as it Jin Woo wasn't mentioned.
    Also the novel is written so that there are no dull moments, he could easily take a break from things that others can handle to slow down. But he took a break from something big, something that another person mentioned already claimed S-Class and others lives.

10. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    But they’re coordinating their timetable with the Japanese... And you can’t just insert a hunter who wasn’t mentioned on the members list at the last minute...this would make the Japanese suspicious...

:rolleyes:

11. Fan2zz

Fan2zz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mc isn't a hero justice. Stop acting like him choosing to spend time with his family makes him an asshole and terribly written character. The arguments that he should have just left his mom days after she recovers holds no weight at all. None. Yes he could have left, but he's not that type of person. He isn't waiting for things to go wrong first before taking care of things to be hailed as a hero either. He isn't a reader who knows something is going to go wrong when people say it'll be fine. If you really feel that way the issue is with you who has read too many novels and gets upset when characters don't see the red flag/unaware of the plotting behind the scenes.

12. IronDoge

IronDoge Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    His mom is a prop, there is no mom.

It is a contrivance to repeat the one story the novel has:

* A group of hunters goes into battle.
    * They get screwed and face certain doom.
    * The hero swoops in at the last minute to save the day.

Jin-Woo could not be allowed to go into battle early because then no one would die or fall into despair and then he wouldn't be a super special hero. Just a janitor picking up trash.

Let's take the incident with the high orcs as another example. Everyone gets locked in a dungeon, and they're cornered by around 20 orcs. At this point everyone knew they would die. Does Jin-Woo slaughter the orcs, pat the other hunters on the head and say "stay here where it's safe I will save u"? No.

He allows them to be taken into a room with the boss and ~200 orcs. If the story was remotely realistic, dozens of the hunters should have been killed during the battle no matter how much a cheaty badass Jin-Woo is. It's plot armor to make him utterly blameless to what's going on in his world. It is what it is.

Other series are much better at hiding this "terminally late hero" contrivance, they at least cycle the idiot ball around. Remember that time in Dragon Ball Z where the Kai forgot that Goku needed time to run back to Earth, and that's why he was late for the fight? What a dunce!

You know where Goku wasn't? Three feet away from his friends.

Draksil and VinnyOni1 like this.
  13. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, in the Jeju raid, there was enough justification for his actions. But on the high orc raid, he was a d!ck.

He should have stepped up when the raid leader was first grabbed by antigravity spell. Everybody knew by then they were dead.

He should have stepped up and been a decent human being.

But let’s judge Jin-Woo’s actions on the basis that he is human, makes mistakes, screws up, etc. Yes, he should have stepped up earlier. But should he be reviled for this? No! :blobhero::blobtongue:

Edit: Besides, the manhua is on the high orc raid, and frankly the manhua is better than the novel. So good...:aww::blobdrool::blobtaco:

14. VinnyOni1

Reading List:
    Link
    Funny how it works out that many times in the story he has waited for things to go wrong before jumping in. He is said to be one way in the story but as omnipresent viewers we can see how his actions sometimes go against what his character is said to be and what is logically obvious. And as readers we can point that out. Finding a flaw in a character or a novel doesn't mean others can't enjoy it.
    Edit:
    On the flip side it's okay for fans of the story/character to acknowledge said flaws.

15. PedoBear Version 2.0

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow wow wow i didn't think the high orc raid was that bad though, he should have enough control of the situation to allow those things to happen, and when the raid ends he also said that he had enough power to insta kill the boss, but he didn't because of some shitty reason so the situation isn't that dire because he suppose to have enough power to save everyone... Or something like that?? :blobhyperthink:

Edit:and his reason was, to monopolise all the monster, because the guy was said to be the type that would try to fight alongside if he has some spared energy left, our mc only act when the poor guy let go of his sword while he also explained how badly he endure to elimimate the boss during the process
    And yes a shitty reason if i must say...

16. Beste

Beste Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To me, it just felt like the author has wild fantasies of Japan getting destroyed and slaughtered that he took a lot of effort to write this in his novel, starting from their stupid betrayal, his mom recovery. He set up so many things to make it come true. This is very common in Korean novels so you should not complain about such trope.

17. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    We might see something different!!! Manhua changed a lot. :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:

18. VinnyOni1

Reading List:
    Link
    lol that just makes it worse and makes one want to complain. It's like when someone is late once you are peeved but let it go. But seeing it constantly happen with everyone and you are ready to burn the world down. Or is that just me? :D

19. Yama_Kitsune

Yama_Kitsune Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    can you provide a link, please?

20. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: May 15, 2019