Discussion Is being selfish makes you a bad person??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PedoBear Version 2.0, May 15, 2019.

1. PedoBear Version 2.0

PedoBear Version 2.0 「 Lvl. 69 Legendary Pantsu Hunter !」

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey guys, just wondering if being selfish makes you a bad person? Imagine a situation where you, having power just turn a blind eye to someone who needs your help. Would that make you bad?

Edit:when I said power, I mean the type in a fantasy world with sword and magic
    Edit1:in a larger scale that carry the lives of countless people

For me, doing nothing isn't really a sin. I think helping others is a good thing that would warrant for a thank you while completely ignoring the situation would simply mean nothing. You neither cause the problem nor it was your job to help others.There's nothing to feel guilty...

In my opinion,Being neutral that didn't help but also didn't cause any problem wouldn't make you a bad person but also wouldn't make you a good one. Let's just call it being 'decent'...I just hate when others curse someone with strength for not helping them. I mean blaming the strong just because they where powerless didn't make sense to me...the mentality of "why did you not help us when you have that power" and "we were born with the right to be protected " really disgust me

Sorry for my broken english that didn't make sense but i would be grateful if you express your opinion. So does my point of view seems twisted?? Please explain...

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  2. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    That depends on the circumstance I think.

If someone is hanging off a cliff and you just breeze past without helping, then I'd call you a psychopath.

But if you saw a bucket about to tip over and didn't warn the owner, who gives a fuck?

If someone is in danger, you are obliged to help, and if you don't, I do think you're a bad person. As for everything else, I just go with my gut

mir, 7Marie, AliceShiki and 3 others like this.
  3. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    TLDR; i see a pedobear, the words sin, twisted and warrant. :blobflag:

Chrono Vlad, Milanin and Coler like this.
  4. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
  5. PedoBear Version 2.0

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh so there's something wrong with me afterall... But
    My opinion was having power but doing nothing was a decent choice. Helping others with that power make you good while having that power and abuse the heck out of it would make you bad.

Coler and otaku31 like this.
  6. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    U just described the type of MC I hv always wanted to read about, i.e., someone who doesn't give a f**k about anything/anyone that doesn't concern him.

Sadly, the only indifferent MCs in cultivation novels happen to be evil ones, i.e., ones that not only turn a blind eye to atrocities, but commit them as well. There's no middle ground. :blobpensive::blobsad:

7Marie, Beltran, kenar and 4 others like this.
  7. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on your perspective. From mine, if a person sees a crime/something wrong and has the power and capability to stop it, and does not do so, then they have allowed that crime to occur and share some measure of the guilt of the crime themselves.

7Marie, Milanin, Coler and 3 others like this.
  8. Mount Tai Unleashed

Mount Tai Unleashed This one has tai but can't see mount eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    If you see someone getting beat up you call the police, if you see someone stealing cookies you load your gun and prepare to send them to the next world.

7Marie, cap.toon, Coler and 1 other person like this.
  9. PedoBear Version 2.0

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, just tired of saint type protagonist and scumbag protagonist...

otaku31 and Coler like this.
  10. Coler

Coler Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. Not at all.

I think your point of view is decent.
    Many have the power to aid yet they leave it to the authorities, cause they believe that rescuing a man who had a car crash in the road would go against the law or polices the government creates.
    I once loathed the strong and envoyed them for the power they held. “‘How could they not give a hand when someone really needed it.”
    “Some people believe in your words others don’t. The values of mankind are going down today. Down to the grave of our ancestors.”

Your thread.
    It wasn’t in vain.
    There will be others who will come to see and learn.

“{Thanks}*

As far me. I am a sinner. I have accepted that. That’s all there is to do before going forward.

11. Kirill

Kirill New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For more context, what kind of power are we talking about here? Like money? Influence? High disposition?

12. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    who care, it's my power, so i will used it only for myself.... except the god (not the shitty god who will kill you because his stupidity) entrusted it to me to save the world as savior.

13. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on what power and capabilities we r talking about. Taking above example of witnessing a crime , there r various possibilities of power and capabilities . It's not just black and white that u help u r good and if u don't u r bad , power and capabilities vary by a WIDE margin u can't expect someone with little power to help u just because he can , like for a crime , witnessing it and reporting it ANONYMOUSLY is a good thing and u should do it , but if u have to in line of fire for it as well then I think being neutral is better and perfectly natural . Every creature has a self preservation drive that they listen to , nothing wrong with it

strayCat0, Liyus, Coler and 2 others like this.
  14. orematcha

orematcha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, it's all depend on your and other situations and perspectives after all. It's better to know your capacity or position, rather ended up being someone who doesn't know the consequence of their action.

Moy, Coler, otaku31 and 1 other person like this.
  15. PedoBear Version 2.0

Reading List:
    Link
    Fantasy novel. Combat prowess(superhuman strength/godlike magical capabilities) ... Situation that may affect the life of countless people. Im simply not a saint type that would bear the responsibility of protecting the humanity just because i have the power...

Coler and otaku31 like this.
  16. PedoBear Version 2.0

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly my thoughts...

otaku31, Coler and listener like this.
  17. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    Popular belief is, if you have power/ ability to save someone from their circumstance, especially if it's a deadly one, but you didn't, that counts as murder.

mir, otaku31 and Coler like this.
  18. PedoBear Version 2.0

Reading List:
    Link
    And i hate it... Didn't make sense to me if i didn't cause the said circumstances in the first place

otaku31 likes this.
  19. orematcha

orematcha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This reminds me of Uncle Ben in Spiderman: "With great power comes great responsibility"

mir, otaku31 and listener like this.
  20. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    No, right now im regretting my decision on trying to be a helpful person. Fuck my job.