Discussion Is being selfish makes you a bad person??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PedoBear Version 2.0, May 15, 2019.

1. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    personaly i would help if it's involve myself(forced to be involved by whatever is causing trouble) or friends, otherwise i would not involve myself......

2. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    There will always be those that are selfish and those that are less so. It's in human nature , to be honest.

But in most cases, pragmatism or practical reasons would convince them to help. Not in all, of course.

But those that would show grace and not be selfish due to those reasons, would often be called hypocrites, if it comes out that those reasons were why they did it and not general 'Because it's the right thing to do'.

Let's say... someone was badly hurt and lying on the ground. Someone else who's on the way for a important job interview in his finest suit, is about to pass them by, but then spots a news van coming the opposite direction. He immediately thinks of the situation, and decides to help the wounded person, but do it in such a way to get the reporter's attention, and thus stand out as a good samaritan, something that might be worth more than that interview.

Would that make him selfish ? Pragmatic ? Kind ? If the people find out he did it because he saw the news van, then it would be negative opinions. If they don't, then they would have positive opinions of him.

If you plan to actively kill someone and do it, it's murder.
    If you act on an impulse or accidentally kill someone, it's manslaughter / homicide.
    If you see someone dying, but don't do anything to save them, unless you're an emergency responder, otherwise trained to help people like that or know how to do it, there's no real crime, but your reputation in society will go down if found out. That being said, that reputation drop might be worse than if you had been convicted of murder.

joey183, orematcha and Maid Chan like this.
  3. PedoBear Version 2.0

PedoBear Version 2.0 「 Lvl. 69 Legendary Pantsu Hunter !」

Reading List:
    Link
    Shitty saying if i must say. Just because one have a great power doesn’t necessarily mean one become the protector of humanity or something. Makes you alienated, from human to something different. ignoring all your rights and freedom as a human and dumping all the responsibility to a single person...

Beltran and otaku31 like this.
  4. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha yeah, there's no black and white way to define someone's action, isn't it? Only grey.

5. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    And that's ok. But some authors with bad writing skill always portray their character as the saintly heroes type, but when this situation happen, they do nothing because it has nothing to do with their interest. That's when the hate comes from me.

PedoBear Version 2.0 likes this.
  6. Moy

Moy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends, if helping others in some way has the cost of an unhappy life for me (or for people close to me) I would'nt.

Besides that, in a fantasy world, who saves the world is usually betrayed at the end :blobflag::sweating_profusely:

otaku31 likes this.
  7. Kirill

Kirill New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahhh.. I see..
    Well.. for my personality, I would most likely just let others die. :hmm:

Although I'm not really saying I'll push them to their death but if they're the one screwing themselves, I could easily imagine myself just completely shrugging them off. I've always been pretty indifferent to other's problems unless they nicely asked for a helping hand and it's not too much work.

I've also never really cared if they call me names as per my persona.

It's a different story if those people are someone I hold dear. I have very very few people I wouldn't hesitate to pull out of hell despite being stupid.

I guess that's pretty much why some people I interacted with find me cold, which leads to some arguments about my indifference towards their problems

8. Tilgarial

Tilgarial [Chaos Tiger] [Paradox] [ded][Houseplant]

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a similar view on this as you do, I think.
    It depends largely on how 'uninvolved' one truly is - in one way or another, everything is connected.
    If, say, a powerful warrior or sorcerer or whatever, stood by while the town he stands in burns down around him, I'd probably call that one a bad person.
    However, if he/she is just walking by at a distance where they see smoke billowing out of the town and do nothing, thats a different matter.

After all, no matter how powerful you are, you cant help everybody.
    And there are some people that just arent worth helping, but from above, you have no way to judge. Better to just help those you deem worthy if being helped in the firdt place~

Edit: though, I dont think of myself as a good person, so I'm not too sure how helpful my viewpoint is~

otaku31 and Coler like this.
  9. PaladinWolf

PaladinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...o-school-shooting-suspect-made-split-n1005776 its instinct if you've seen those USMC recruitment commercials they say it best "some run from the danger others run toward it" do i think you're bad for ignoring it no not quite but i don't think a strong person or organization has some sort of responsibility to take care of every little problem people face people need to learn how to take care of themselves i think you're fine so long as you don't ignore someone who's life is in danger

10. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Mate, you are making this way more complicated than it should, you see helping someone makes you a good person not helping them doesn't make you evil, decent nor bad but simply just 'normal' even if you have power, many would prefer not to get involved in a non necessary trouble and that is not wrong just normal, however, for that same reason, fantasy is about heroes who help those in need and those are called good people, being decent is something else out of this context.

11. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    poor uncle ben, he always got killed many times

12. PedoBear Version 2.0

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't missunderstand me, im saying involving "other" people. Wouldn't really call someone i hold important as "others" you know it's the general populace. Maybe i would try to help others on whim or if im in a good mood but i would never shoulder the lives of the massess...

otaku31 likes this.
  13. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, if you do nothing, you are actively choosing not to do good. You aren't refraining from making a choice, you are deciding not to save someone you could have.

This is fine for smaller things, but the more important the good you are choosing not to do is, the greater your sin.

mir, PaladinWolf and Vilidious like this.
  14. valzione

valzione Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not extending your hand to those in need is in the "not good" territory, it's never good, but at the same time it's also not bad depending on the motivation behind it.
    Example 1: killing someone in self defence isn't bad, but it's not actually good either.

Example 2: killing someone out of spite, like stealing your sweetroll, is bad

Example 3: hitting someone else's chicken gives you a 20 gold coin bounty

mir and PedoBear Version 2.0 like this.
  15. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I remember right, philosophically, not making a decision is also a decision.
    You decide not to do anything, so it is an action on your part.

However, in my opinion, if someone weak was not helped by the strong one, the final responsibility is not necessarily the strong person's, because in the end we are all responsible for ourselves.

Not being helped by someone strong may be 'bad luck' for the weak person, but if the weak person did not rely on stronger people in order to survive, but became as strong as possible by himself/herself, then luck would have little say in that situation... only how far that individual's strength would suffice.

Of course, like I mentioned in the beginning, this does not in any way free the strong person from responsibility for his/her own actions and decisions... whether they turn ill or not.

Basically, beneath all of this fancy society, morals, cultures, rules and everything else we humans have imagined for ourselves... we still have the same old law of survival of the fittest that reigns everywhere in the wilderness.

For example, when you're being mugged for your money and life in a side street, the very last thing on your mind should be whether you kill or don't... you must do whatever you can to survive even if it means manslaughter... because morals, mercy and nice thoughts have no meaning in that situation. Only afterwards.

mir, Beltran, otaku31 and 1 other person like this.
  16. PedoBear Version 2.0

Reading List:
    Link
    Hhhmmmm... Its not really about those but the fact that the saying "with great power comes with great responsibility" drives me crazy... Pretty sure i would act on my self interest rather than proactively try to save everyone.

My country was about to be destroy? Ofcourse i would help if i could preserve my daily life
    A city in other country was being attack?
    Not really interested...

Monster that try to destroy the world?
    Save my life while at the same time saving everyone...

You might found my choice as bad but i dont really care as long as i dont really harm others...

" Ask a god if you want someone that would save everyone,not
    a human like me..." (fav. QUOTE )

otaku31 likes this.
  17. Kirill

Kirill New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly feel like a lot of people would find these as a bad behavior especially when we mix religion in.

It doesn't matter which religion it is but it pretty much teach people to be generous etc, to strangers & that highly influence the mindset of a lot people that you have to help or else you're committing a sin by being indifferent.

Also to mention a lot people just feels that entitled & would use your indifference about the whole incident to stand on higher moral ground, pretty much a roundabout way of forcing you for the sake of whatever righteous standards they've set.

But I guess when humans are desperate, it doesn't matter how things sounds as long as they can get out of a desperate situation, they'll use everything against you, I mean, even bluntly stating the truth can get you in trouble (¬_¬)

18. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Would I help people, if I had the power:
    If I knew any of the people, yes.
    If I knew none of the people, but was going to know them in the future (visiting the place or such), yes.
    If I knew none of the people, knew I was not going to get to know them, but know something will happen to them, I will warn them. If the warning effectively makes me know them or make them a part of my life, yes. If I will just be warning someone else I know to pass on the warning to them or to send someone else to do stuff, no.
    If I knew none of the people, knew not of the reasons, knew not of the thing that will happen. No, I would not help them, since I wouldn't know about it.

If I had the power... Meaning: Strength/Cunning and Willpower to go against the upcoming threat to them but not me

If I did not have the means to help them, would I try to? Maybe. Depends on the Willpower vs rationale of knowing that I don't have the Strength/Cunning to best the situation.

Which, for me is a pretty deciding factor as my sin is Sloth. Meaning I wouldn't move unless I have to. Maybe even when I'd have to I wouldn't. Which is half way your question of if being selfish makes you a bad person. Since what you'd be doing isn't being selfish. It's much more. It's being negligent, uncaring & all the things that fall along into it. Which means that if you don't feel any guilt about it, means that you have no feelings against being negligent, which in turn means that you're broken in some way.

Overall, I would love to see a utopia where no one has to lose anything and equivalent exchange is non-existent.
    Where anyone could get whatever they would desire, without another person being on the losing side.
    Unlimited resources.
    ↑↑ Main topic
    ↓↓ Rant
    If people think my utopia is hypocritical of the people who have desires beyond just the basic needs that can be fulfilled by ones own effort which does not involve harming others, then you're damaged goods yourself.
    That's enabling negativity, hate and violence.
    That's enabling sins.
    In such a world, where you could have all that you can possibly require, to ask for more is nothing more than pure sin.

Greed. That sin should pretty much be covered by the unlimited resources, but people want to have even more than they do. Which is pretty much Envy at this point since they desire things that others have, which you try to take masterfully and raise your Pride or violently by letting Wrath take over and just getting what you want. If you want more people to "attend" to you, that's pure and simple Lust. Consuming more than you yourself have being Gluttony. Which all then boils down to the least hurtful but most parasitic one of them all, Sloth. Where you'd just do the minimum or possibly not even that, mooching off of the generosity of others in the utopia to sustain yourself when all you'd have to do is to simply do a minimum effort task.

19. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know no one asked but since u said it u might want to check out
    The New World ( RRL ) it's not exactly it but it's a lot closer than all cultivation ones, the MC isn't doing good because he wants toore like if he doesn't they will kill him as a villain
    The Sinful Life of The Emperor ( QI original) - MC is an Asshole but not evil ( by choice )
    Supreme Magus (QI original) - Ok this is the closest we r ever going to get to the ideal MC I mentioned. Because it's a new original there r not many chaps but u will definitely like it

otaku31 likes this.
  20. PedoBear Version 2.0

Reading List:
    Link
    Well i have the reason to be reluctant on helping... You see, human are great in adapting in both good and bad way. You, deciding to help others would make them put expectations on you and desire for more... Pile up all of expectation and the fact that you help others would become a norm.This is where the great power comes with great responsibility enter. the gratitude of helping would be lose and you helping them would turn into a slave contract where it seems it was their rights to be protected...

its the fault of the always evolving standard of everyone...

no matter how powerful i am,in the end i was still a human who feels tired, love, hate just like other. I don't have the mentality to be fair and i don't think i could hold myself back from retaliating if i was ever abused. You showing your great abilities while helping would also display how terrfying you are if you become the enemy. Nobody would feel at ease if they know that someone has the ability to destroy a country whenever he want to and if they don't have the power to counter you even in a slightest possibility you become an enemy, they would start to treat you as a threat...

you either become a dog chained by different law and responsibility while working like a slave and having no rights to rest for the sake of the massess.or become free and be treated as some sort of abomination that can explode anytime or lastly become a king/ruler (which i don't have the mentality)

So i chose nothing...

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Beltran likes this.