Recommendations Novels without 2d-cardboard cutouts...?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Heartless, May 15, 2019.

1. Heartless

Heartless May your heart be your guiding key

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright, most of you people don’t know me as I am usually but a great lurker of threads [self-proclaimed]. However, I recently stumbled across a void of having nothing to read and thus am in desperate need of assistance.

I really need something new to read. Like the description says: plz no 2d-cardboard cutouts for characters, I want fleshed out ones.

What I’m looking for is action, Cn Kr Jp doesn’t matter. Since I like to try and immerse myself into the mc’s life – a male protagonist. And I’m not fond of yaoi or gender bender.

I have previously read novels like The Legend of the Cultivation God, Dungeon Defense and Er Gens novels. I basically accept any form of action if it’s not similar to PMG.

Anyone with a suggestion?

2. thisworldofmine1

thisworldofmine1 Grandmaster of Danmei Cultivation

Reading List:
    Link
    Superstars of Tomorrow
    Primordial Wars
    The two above novels are by the same author and there are others too. The novels are pretty great but none of them really have Romance if that's fine with you...

Heartless likes this.
  3. verudora

verudora Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Heartless likes this.
  4. ediav42

ediav42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Tourist Bamboo

Tourist Bamboo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lord of the Mysteries
    Throne of Magical Arcana
    Martial Arts Master (this one has the best character development among CN imo)

Heartless likes this.
  7. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. MrLLama

MrLLama Just a Fancy Llama.

Reading List:
    Link
    Heartless likes this.
  9. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    currently reading
    White-Robed Chief besides the starting 12 to 23 chapters that seemed to trick a lot of people to drop it( including me) it's great read with deep but simple plot and many character developing moments.

Heartless likes this.
  10. kurousagi4242

kurousagi4242 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Poseidon99

Poseidon99 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tales of Herding Gods
    Transcending the Nine Heavens
    Spirit Hunters of Maoshan Sect
    Cultivation Chat Group
    Trash of the Count's Family
    Novel's Extra
    Chronicles of the Primordial War
    Virtual World: Peerless White Emperor

These are some of the stories I always recommend to people just because they are so good. All of them have good world building, excellent characters who feel real and an intresting plot. Also I would really suggest you to read the first one, its awesome. There are a few others on royalroad, let me know if you are intrested in those.

12. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    The very best character development in my opinion is Joy of Life, though all of Mao Ni's novels have it. Or no, probably Dreamer in the Spring Boudoir (which is not a typical romance novel, don't let the tags fool you). Both of these novels have a transmigrated character, but the interesting part is that the authors try to contrast the modern mindset of the protagonist with the old-fashioned, traditional mindset of the rest of the world. And how they influence that old world. Makes the characterization all the more interesting. Usually I ask myself, why did it have to be a transmigrated character? Not in those novels. Also, Joy of Life has great "bad guys". Well, for most of the novel it's a "bad girl".

Romance recommendation: The Lover's Prattle. Consists of several stories (first one is finished), which are twists upon the typical CN love stories. Interesting characters make for interesting interactions, and the first story left things unsaid just the right amount. Which is rare to see here on NU, usually the authors spell everything out to the T. Other possibly interesting romance with good characterization: Reborn as my Love Rival's Wife, First Marriage Then Love. Probably others too but these are fresh in my mind.

Trafford's is great as well, the novel is basically about how being the boss of the club changes the protagonist, his way of thinking and feelings, and the little world around him. It's the one constant throughout all the shorter arcs. Plus, it's got an interesting concept.

Nightfall is a revenge story. I don't know if it has much actual development, it is written by Mao Ni though so you can expect at least a certain amount of depth. The romance, while maybe unsettling for some, is well done.

Death Sutra is a hard nut to crack. Requires attention while reading. Again a revenge story, but this story is a lot grittier and has more scheming. There's some sort of tragic "love" story (difficult to paste a term onto it) that I really enjoyed.

MAM is some of the most enjoyable romance on this site. The interactions between the couple are one of the two defining features of the novel, besides martial arts sports.

Superstars has a complete cardboard of a protagonist, the only development is that he's apparently great at yet another thing. Lord of Mysteries and Throne aren't that big on development either. They have strengths, but it's not character development. Not that the characters are bad either, they're good by NU's standards, but it's not the focus. I'd put novels like Reverend Insanity, Pursuing Immortality, Cultivation Chat Group and maybe Tales of the Reincarnated Lord, Black Iron's glory in the same category.

TTNH and everything by that author is not up to par, although at first impression they look like they have good characterization. But in the end, it's thousands of chapters of the same thing with never changing characters.

I'm not that fond of KR novels in general. Trash has an interesting premise but the execution sucks balls. Plenty of people disagree with me though, so maybe you'll be one of them?

Monarch of Evernight is like a typical xianxia, but mostly a bit better in all aspects. Mostly. For reference, I don't think Er Gen's novels are particularly good concerning character development. Above par, but that's not exactly hard if you look at the competition.

Anyway, respect if you managed to read through all of this.

13. Heartless

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks I've read primordial wars, but i'll give Superstars of Tomorrow a go

Is Cultivation Chat Group good? I hear it get's worse after a while, the rest I have read

Already read all of these, thx

I'll give it a try

Am reading this already, the neighbors think I'm crazy for laughing so loud.

I've never heard of this, I'll check into it

Anywho thx for the suggestions, hopefully it'll keep me going for a while

thisworldofmine1 likes this.
  14. MrLLama

Reading List:
    Link
    Also if you don't mind fanfictions Darkpetal16 on fanfiction.net has some FF of naruto with some amazing character development.

And there's also the legends called "deja vu no jutsu"

Heartless likes this.
  15. Heartless

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm, I happen to like fanfictions when done well. I'll check it out, thx

16. MrLLama

Reading List:
    Link
  17. Heartless

Reading List:
    Link
  18. MrLLama

Reading List:
    Link
    They were my rating with 1 best and 5 worst....Mainly because most of the stories were completed and longer than 100k words, it somehow ended with most of those stories actually being good...Who would have known?

Also steel heart is frankly amazing One Piece FF

19. Lil K.O

Lil K.O [Loki]

Reading List:
    Link
  20. Heartless

Reading List:
    Link