So How Do You Know When You've Edited Enough?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Mode, May 15, 2019.

1. Mode

Mode New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I am writing something like a test novel to get practice with writing, but even for the test, I find myself going in circles writing something, then deciding I don't like it a few days/hours later and going back to change something or another.

So how do you decide when you've done enough and it's time to just post the chapter and move on?

2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    When you feel confident about what you wrote, I guess?
    Just take your time, nothing is wrong with that

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2019
  3. c3ltic

c3ltic . . .

Reading List:
    Link
    It's one of the things I struggle with, but the best way is to write the first draft in one go, then go back and change it. After you have walked away from it for awhile. Look at it with fresh eyes.

4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    There is never such a thing as enough... until it is perfect which is pretty much never... I find I spend 10X more time editing than I do writing.

That said, it is important to move on writing, then come back to edit. Effectively, I write out as many chapters as I can, then go back and edit them once I finish writing an arc. Then when I finish editing the 1st time, I go back and edit again. As it gets closer to the deadline, I then stick to editing the closer 2-3 chapters and on day of release I edit the main chapter until it is time to release.

5. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    By getting a second opinion from someone.

6. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, in my humble opinion:
    • what's the point you want to make?
    • when you/someone else reads it again, does the point come across?
    • does what you write feel believable to you?
    • can you read it through without seeing clear spelling mistakes etc.?
    I think those are the very main points, then you can just move on until you get it all done, and then lastly you can start nitpicking details and making the whole seem fluent and seamless. :blobunsure:

7. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The way I got around that Problem was by writing a simple draft, around 10-20 Main Plot Points with several subpoints and then thinking the Story through how it would be written and editing Most of IT there before even starting. It also helps to have another sheet for Background and worldbuilding

PS: autocorrect is a bitch on mobile

8. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Your opinion is completely correct, for things like essays or short articles.... and even uni dissertations. But so far I have not found this advice useful for any “fiction” writing of longer than 10000 words... I guess it depends a lot on the length of whatever it is you writing as well as what sort of genre.
    Also are you writing for “yourself”, just to get the story in your head out there, or are you writing for “a reader”? Coz for myself I could write about a pink dragon, but if it’s for “audience” I’d change that dragon’s color and make it more fierce and dangerous... not that there is anything wrong with pink fluffy dragons...

9. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, the pink fluffy dragon feels more interesting.

Other than that, yeah, a lot depends on who/what you write for.

I generally do things for my own enjoyment, as otherwise it's work and I already have a day job. :)

strayCat0 and Meloman like this.
  11. EnerHighwave

EnerHighwave Holy Daugther of Kyuu 8❤️ Speedy's pet Lovely's ❤️

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually it could be an interesting story. I think it have potential

Meloman likes this.
  12. Dragon_Reader

Dragon_Reader Humans just don't taste as good as books \( ̄ハ ̄)

Reading List:
    Link
    It never 'enough'. I have found grammatical/ spelling errors in books of authors who have sold millions of copies. Each time you re-read your work, you will definitely find a few mistakes, change the way a particular sentence has been written or even insert/ delete whole scenes.

The point when you say 'enough', is when you believe your book, as is now, has passed you own requirement test.

otaku31 and strayCat0 like this.
  13. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you have to learn the answer to that question from your reader base. Put out a chapter, and if there are too many complaints, you didn't edit good enough. Adjust as you go, and just try and make the story read at a consistent level.

14. MrLLama

MrLLama Just a Fancy Llama.

Reading List:
    Link
    Never got past that. Always get stuck at 1 page

15. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    Frankly, it sounds like you aren't sure of what you want the core story to be. I don't mean in terms of fleshed out plot details, there's an endless number of ideas a plot can be fleshed out with, but the core story you're trying to tell. Like a character study, for example. Then, what's the relation of a specific chapter or arc to the core? When you know the angle to take, the details really start flow, and that's only real point that someone can be content with a story.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    strayCat0 likes this.
  16. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    for self publishing the best way is to decide on a general outline before writing the story, stick to it, write the first draft, rewrite correcting the flaws you see, then give to to other people to read. get feedback and edit again (it's actually good if one of your friends is a grammar Nazi in these cases). another read-through and give it another rewrite and if there's no glaring flaws go ahead and publish. the audience will most likely be harsher than your readers, so keep them in mind. don't take constructive criticism personally and ignore the trolls.

17. Guyver

Guyver Bio-Booster Armor

Reading List:
    Link
    That is what alpha and beta readers are for to give you feedback on your story so you know you are going in a good direction and whether there are any plot, story, character, logic and continuity problems.

You need to find trust worthy fans of the genre whose opinions you trust.

18. Seigin

Seigin [Lolicon][GenderBender Banzai!]

Reading List:
    Link
    The 5 stages of grief
    You deny the possibility of your edit to be okay.
    You're angry cause you can't make it better.
    You'll bargain to idk whom, maybe a colleague.
    Then you'll just learn to accept it as it is and publish it.

19. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Few points that are always there first make a rough plan of what features the lead actors have
    Make a plan of what the story is about, not for chapters, but for a path that goes on in many chapters: brainstorming.
    Example Hemingway could write about 30 sites about a one-day fishing experience.
    I can only say it from my studies, if you have an idea for a damn good scene, write it down before the idea is gone.
    The Pachwork came last.

It's your first story, so write it down, leave it for a week, read it again and write down some points on the page that could be changed. Try to rewrite this part, etc., if you have someone who can read it for reference do so.

Again, there will always be someone who says your work is a sh** but if there is something good that is being pointed out try to improve it.
    One of my profs sad that we students should read poetry for better expression because they have many meanings in it that can be reused without the use of many words.

20. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Critique is the hammer to the chisel that is creativity. If you take the blow wrong you could end up destroying all potential and getting hurt, but without it it'll be mighty hard to bring out the potential of the material. :hmm:

OnceandFutureLurker likes this.