Recommendations Like Reverend Insanity

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Xhypher, May 15, 2019.

1. Xhypher

Xhypher Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A novel with MC has brains and ambition ~
    Can have a lover, but has a certain balance in the story.

lilysmith likes this.
  2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Reverend Insanity is a diamond in the rough, you will not find anything like it.
    Most webnovels are filled with typos, the authors are not professionals, there is no editing or proofreading.
    I recommend buying a book.
    Reverend Insanity is like winning the lottery amongst webnovels

3. Asdq

Asdq RSS FEED SECT! I WANT YOU FOR THE RSS ARMY!

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe the author will print the book someday and I hope that translated.

Wujigege likes this.
  4. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, it is professionally written. One clear difference between it and other webnovels is the treasures and inheritances.
    The protagonist and his friend(s) do not take every treasure for himself even though he went back in time.
    It is not a mindless wish fulfillment story

Berenice96 likes this.
  5. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    Death Sutra is pretty hardcore. Reads differently though, it's denser.

I disagree on a print version of RI. It's a webnovel, it reads like one, and it should stay a webnovel. Characters behaving properly is a requirement for a story, not a plus.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Gon_ and GDLiZy like this.
  6. Asdq

Asdq RSS FEED SECT! I WANT YOU FOR THE RSS ARMY!

Reading List:
    Link
    The author really deserve, I'm crazy to give my money for him. Has so many stories that I want printed to give for my future son. It's a hard thing, you know, desire to kill myself or raise a son. The thing is that if I go to raise a son I'll need organize everything, learn so much things, get a really good life to let a inheritance, get a wife and be prepared to suffer and to sacrifice myself for him and be sure that even I go bankrupt (cuz the wife) I raise a man and that's the same thing that theorically people say to avoid suicide, get a life. The question is, will I forget the desire of suicide after that all? Anyway, later I complete, I can simplly kill myself and will be good, I would have done good things, lived a big time and not simplly dying young, but so much work for a son that i have not and a family that not exist. However, I can use a son as second goal and use the path that I got but, I've not Fang Yuan determination.

That's a thing, how Fang Yuan is able to get so much determination from something so vague as "Eternal Life"? Maybe because he died so much times?

7. Ghoulro

Ghoulro New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Warlock of magus world is very similar

8. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't understand what you are trying to say but I wish you the best of luck.
    Life can suck but it can also be break.
    All you need is to either meet someone special or change your location to a special one with more opportunities

9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I beg to differ. I believe that the standard for amateurs should certainly be different than professional works.
    Webnovels are essentially drafts but unlike traditional publishing authors can earn a living from it.
    Game of Thrones is a masterpiece but I doubt that the unedited draft is any better than most Webnovels.
    *drops mic*

[​IMG]

P.S. I found Death Sutra very disappointing. Maybe it was the tone of the novel but the political machinations seemed forced and unrealistic

10. WinByDying

Reading List:
    Link
    I can see where that's coming from, the author tries really hard with the plot twists and everyone stabbing each other in the back. Death Sutra doesn't pull punches. I focused more on the characters, and didn't get that feeling while reading.

What I didn't like was the webnovel format in combination with the plot and the characters, as in, it became difficult to remember how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together again. Made me put it aside and I'll probably return to it in a year, maybe more. The type of story I'd rather read as a book.

Calling GoT a masterpiece is a step too far for me, and I disagree vehemently on the point you're trying to make. First, I'd probably take the drafts of GoT over the average webnovel because he can actually write characters and dialogue. Something a lot of webnovel authors seem to lack, as the "drafts" they put out are just nothing good. Consistently. Second, RI is a long story, a neat one and fun to read, but not dense. It doesn't read like an adult book; it reads like an adolescent one. And if there's one type of story fit for webnovels, it's a drawn out romp in an interesting world with a fun main character. Without too much depth. I feel like it's more Ranger's Apprentice than GoT. Slight exaggeration, but should get the point across. Writing an adult-oriented, somewhat sophisticated webnovel is probably a major pain in the ass comparatively.

In my eyes the ideal webnovel is something in the direction of Trafford's. Though I don't think that's the very very best this site has to offer.

Well, that's my thoughts.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Wujigege likes this.
  11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha I just picked Game of Thrones just because it is popular. George R.R. Martin is also a well learned historian so he already has decades of experience writing.
    Haven't read the Ranger novel to be honest. I find most books too predictable. I should probably finish Door With 7 Locks sometime in my lifetime

My point is that Webnovels are not finished stories hence the comparison to drafts.
    Japanese web novels are better examples since you get the finished light novels.
    I just prefer the Korean and Chinese models because aspiring authors..literally anyone can earn if readers enjoy their work. Regardless of how flawed it is

12. WinByDying

Reading List:
    Link
    That depends on the books you read ... there's a lot of books :blob_grin:

I don't recommend Ranger's Apprentice. Its target audience is on the younger side, which affects everything from writing to plot and characters. Fun back then, but standard.

Wujigege likes this.
  13. SleepyFox

SleepyFox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  14. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I consumed so many media and made the mistake of binging on Tvtropes but I am open to suggestions.
    I mostly grew up on books like Rich Dad, Poor Dad but novels like Montezuma's daughter left a lasting impression while books like Troy and Door With 7 Locks, I never got to finish since they weren't mine

15. Ctho

Ctho Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's on Webnovel.... Ew.

16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    None of those books are on webnovel..
    Also, I see nothing wrong with webnovel, afterall there wont be any Duoluo Dalo or Coiling Dragon without Qidian

17. Ksiti

Ksiti Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try Forty Millenium of Cultivation. That's the best novel I have read so far, this shit is flawless.

18. bored nobody

bored nobody Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link