Discussion Is being selfish makes you a bad person??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PedoBear Version 2.0, May 15, 2019.

1. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Man 1: Tries to help drowning woman get sued for rape because he touched her.

Man 2: Tries to help lost child got treated as a pervert and was beaten-up.

Man 3: Tries to be gentlemen to a woman since she seems to be carrying some heavy stuff got berated instead.

I'm not even joking.

This is today's society. :blobsad:

otaku31 likes this.
  2. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read a manga once, where a male stranger helped call the police for a raped victim. The victim felts so miserable that she lied in court and sent the helper to jail. Her excuse was, this is a doggy eat doggy world--that man deserves it just because he is there. It is totally screw up and it seems the court aren't even interested in helping him. The semen extracted from the girl, alone, should be enough to let him go, but no. One factor is, he's a scapegoat. Second, the parents' of this girl: one was a master professor of something and one was a well known politician.

It is not just today modern time. This has been going on for eons.
    ---------

Rather selfishness make you bad, depends on situations, like what many already said.

If a little boy was drowning in a pool or some kind of body of water where you can safety enter and exit; and you could swim and could help, but you didn't--that's not okay. However, if you see a bunch of boy kicking and purposely holding another boy's head underwater--you are not obligate to help for your own safety. You may call the cop and hope for the best.

If someone is in the middle of the road and a car is heading straight for them--I'll probably just scream. Everyone is responsible for their own safety first.

Reminds me of the train social experiment. Five men on one train line and one on another train line. Regardless of which way, people will die. But experts and people argued that the one person should died because he is but one person while them is five people. I call that BS. In my understanding and knowledge, in a group people have more chance of surviving. Having more pairs of eye is better than having just one pair. If one group member doesn't notice, there would be another that could notice and alert the rest. Or best, let nature takes it course. The train will go which ever way the wheel is steer while, I, the watcher lay back. Why should I put other people's live on my hand as if I am responsible for them. They are out in the work field and should be looking out for each other and for hazard.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  3. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't have an obligation to save people everywhere or save the world or whatever just because you have superpowers.

But if you have super strength and speed and you see a bus about to hit a pregnant woman, and you do nothing, then I would call that murder.

4. PedoBear Version 2.0

PedoBear Version 2.0 「 Lvl. 69 Legendary Pantsu Hunter !」

Reading List:
    Link
    Sir just like what i stated earlier. The situation i said involves the lives of countless people rather than a handful.i wouldn't really think that much if its just one or two...
    Its not a problem helping someone if it wouldn't risk me and my priorities...
    And again, Aigoo... the word murder didn't work that way sir~

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    otaku31 likes this.
  5. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if you've ever stood behind an old lady about to fall backwards. It's kind of an instinct to help her out. I do think only psychopaths can bypass that instinct, but they'd help out in order to fit in socially anyway, especially if they're in public.

On the one hand, I'm completely apathetic towards life. On the other, I have a decent amount of empathy. So the deciding factor is distance, and then how many other people are around able to help.

And if I had some fantasy power, I wouldn't go out of my way to try and find people to help, but I wouldn't be able to ignore people in need of help within a hearing distance.

6. Beltran

Beltran Seafarer

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I'm okay with being called selfish just because I did not help when I could. It is, in some sense, true. Some people hope that all avenues are exhausted before they give up on a scenario.

It's hard to please everyone, I would not even attempt to, and so it's better not hope for a clean-cut image. That never existed anyway.
    Lord Acton: "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

The train situation is totally okay based on Utilitarian Ethics. After all, it's greatest good for the greater number of people. It's a numbers game. Also, if you say that you'll let nature takes its course, there is also the possibility that everyone would die. If you're fine with not saving at least one life, it's your choice. Someone said it above, not making a choice is also a choice.

orematcha likes this.
  7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I need to break down my answer a bit to talk about different scenarios I guess.

In essence, it's perfectly normal and fine to be selfish, I'd go as far as saying that anyone and everyone should be selfish and that is the best thing you could do. That definitely does not make you evil.

Now, in the case of choosing between helping and not helping someone out... It depends a lot on the circumstances?

For example, if I see someone hanging off a cliff and desperately needing help, I think ignoring their plea is a terrible thing.

On the other hand, if I saw a girl getting raped by a bunch of guys... I'd probably run away from the location as soon as possible, scared of getting involved and they raping me too. Only after I had arrived home I would even consider calling the police to help the other girl out... I don't think that's bad, I think that's just caring for my safety.

If we were to talk about a fantasy world with mythical powers and that you have a cheat and can use it to save the world or something... I think it's fine to ignore the pleas for help? I mean, it's your own life that you'd be putting on the line there, it's normal to ignore other people's worries when you're in danger yourself.

Lastly, if someone needed help with their homework, but I was too tired after a whole day working... I might feel bad for not helping them, but it's not exactly wrong. I mean, it's their job in the first place, and I'm pretty tired and need to rest... On the other hand, they did ask for my help and I did have the capability of helping them without sacrificing much aside from my rest time.

In conclusion, I think it's bad to not help someone if you lose basically nothing and you're giving a seriously big benefit to the helped person. But I don't think it's bad to ignore someone's plea in case the help they need is minor or if you'll be troubling yourself too much by actively helping them.

mir and PedoBear Version 2.0 like this.
  8. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True, it is a number game. And yes doing nothing is a choice, although a lot of people don't wanna believe that. In pertain to this case, I do no think everyone would die. The train goes only one way.

Other has brought this up before, but personally I would question how he or she got there in the first place. Who in the right mind would be hanging by the cliff until they manage to hold on only by hands?

9. Hegao

Hegao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you should help people in danger regardless and it's natural to help the weak. By helping others others will help you.. Well if they are good people. What if your family was in danger and no one helped when you were there? Karma sure going to bite your ass that time pretty good. Plus helping people there are chances those people you helped will help you or your loved ones in some danger. So it's always good to help people. It's fine not to help people who's are your beyond your power or ignore stupid requests.

10. PedoBear Version 2.0

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest with everyone, I don't really care being seen as bad people by others. What bothered me the most was the effects of being seen as one...
    Just because im a 'bad' person doesn't mean that it would be fair to blame it as my fault. Instead of cursing the perpetrator, people would instantly critise me, who did nothing as the lowest level of scum. Doesn't really make sense to me and if they really push their claim too much... I dont think i can hold back and would simply act as the 'bad' person they treat me as. I would show them that me doing nothing was already me showing good grace to everyone...

Yup there something with my head he he~

11. Hegao

Hegao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well seeing crime and doing nothing is same as helping them.

12. PedoBear Version 2.0

Reading List:
    Link
    Really unfair though...

13. Hegao

Hegao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Edit: Tho I won't call a person bad person. If he doesn't help people in minor or harmless situations. But if it's life threatening or equivalent to it or they are being theft then you should help them by calling people, authorities or whatever. If you don't help them sorry I won't want to be your friend.

14. Hegao

Hegao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So you're fine being killed while no one helps you. If yes then good luck.

mir likes this.
  15. PedoBear Version 2.0

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup. I would simply blame myself for being a weakling instead of being an asshole that would try to shift the blame to someone...

16. Hegao

Hegao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well our views are opposite then.

17. PedoBear Version 2.0

Reading List:
    Link
    If i was robbed, i would simply think it was my fault and try to prevent the same thing from happening rather than blaming a random passerby because they didn't help me
    If I was in danger, I would simply blame my poor luck and my powerlessness instead of calling others as asshole that doesn't have a heart...

What i hate was the mentality of "why did you not help us when you have that power"...my point is helping someone isn't a duty that everone should absolutely do. It depends on the person if they are willing to do it or not...

18. Kawalan

Kawalan 〚 Don't Stare 〛

Reading List:
    Link
    of course being selfish is bad, that's why the church always preach about selflessness :blobangel:

19. PedoBear Version 2.0

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really something to brag but im an
    Atheist...

20. Kawalan

Kawalan 〚 Don't Stare 〛

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh my, certainly something not worth bragging... but I do respect your decision to not believe in the great father up above :blobangel: