Discussion [BL] What novel settings are you in the mood for? What aren't you in the mood for? Any exceptions?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by nachte, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been on a historical BL binge for the past few months, in large part thanks to MDZS, which subsequently caused me to binge Scum Villain, Heaven Official's Blessing, and Legendary Master's Wife.

Other than MXTX's novels, the historical BL novels that I'm really enjoying are so far:

Di Wang Gong Lue - I am so happy to see this updated today! I'm really enjoying the slow burn and the pining! Despite the circumstances, it so nice to see how obviously the emperor and the ML care for each other, even though they can't act too overtly on their feelings. There's a nice balance of romance and action/politics, with the ML always doing whatever it takes to support and help the emperor. I love that!:blobmelt:

Thousand Autumns - I just caught up to this the other day, and I'm a little sad to see it go on hiatus. I very much enjoy the MC and the ML's dynamic--basically the ML being as shameless as possible to get a reaction out of the MC, using the opportunity to toy with him while at the same time laying down the groundwork for his own plans and ambitions. The ML knows how to be very efficient! I look forward to seeing their relationship develop from this curiosity/plaything/possible pawn to something with real feelings! The MC has suffered a lot, but I admire his strength a lot. Please author, the poor guy has coughed out so much blood! He deserves all the happiness in the world.

You’ve Got Mail: A Cautionary Tale - The MC is a virgin approaching 40, and it's refreshing to read a story from a very pragmatic and mature (although slightly naive) point of view! It's been an enjoyable read so far, with already a number of nosebleed-inducing smutty scenes. I just like how matter-of-factly the MC handles everything. You can tell that the ML is not used to the treatment that he gets from the MC at all. :blobrofl:
    So I'm not particularly in the mood for modern day BL novels right now, but a few exceptions did get me hooked by the premise and how cute the character dynamics have been!

Don’t You Like Me - I am a sucker for hijinks and ridiculous situations that end up pushing people to fall in love. This is right up my alley, and the MC and ML are ridiculously adorable as they make up excuses and dance around each other. I love watching how their relationship will develop!

I Ship My Adversary X Me - This story is so ridiculously cute! Just like how the MC seeks his daily dose of RPF fluff with his adversary, this story hits me with all of the adorable fluff. Again, there's hijinks in how the MC has to hide all of his ship-centric videos and internet browsing, which amuses me to no end.
    So what have you been into reading lately? What haven't you been in the mood for? Do you also have your exceptions? I think I will always make exceptions for hijinks and lots of chemistry between the MC and ML, especially if there's bantering!

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Vesica likes this.
  2. fuqifeipian4

fuqifeipian4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm always in the mood for Never Marry a Man with Two Tintins!
    It's a really fun parody novel,
    with an OT3!
    It's really fluffy, and the MC is really cute, so it's really my favorite as of now.

readerz and kuroeshiroe like this.
  3. Hoshiandme

Hoshiandme A Wandering Star Who Watches From Afar

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh my my my my myyyyyy~!!!!!!!
    I’ve been waiting for such a post. Ufufufuuf.
    I’ve recently been in the Apocalypse mood lol. I just love how it’s both fluffy and hardcore all at the same time. And it’s interesting watching people survive and handle themselves in the apocalypse. And it’s overall a pretty intense genre to read even if it leans heavily on the fluff side due to its entire nature being based off of killing others and monsters to survive. It also helps resonate with my inner loner because people don’t become friends in such a setting Hahahaha~
    And that, I’m also in the quick transmigration phase haha. Though I won’t say much about it because there REALLY aren’t that many BL quick transmigration novels out there. And if they are, the releases are rather slow. So slow that I’ve calmed down my quick transmigration hype. And I’m seriously in love with Apocalypse now haha.

And for a genre I am absolutely NOT in the mood for. It is xianxia’s. I am absolutely SICK. Of Xianxia. Absolutely sick. I used to love them, but after I went through the phase and read like ALL of them. They all pretty much enter into the same trope. One is either super cold master, or the other is a silly vinegar eating disciple. And they are all pretty much the same. “I’ll raise you so you won’t be evil.” like hello. GET A NEW SETTING PULEASE. Like all the xianxia’s you Just listed I actually really liked them. But holy hell. They are all the same. And it quite upsets me.
    Plus I’m rather annoyed st having to memorize all the terms. Chinese titles plus cultivation levels plus someone’s elder martial uncle’s brother in law’s disciples pisses my head.
    And I dislike the overall arc such a setting plot line. It always ends up with having to go against the righteous cultivators because they are all pretentious and arrogant pricks who are nothing but selfish bastards.
    Could we get someone on the Devil side of things?!? And FYI, I can read Xianxia in a quick transmigration, but a full on novel. No. Pissing me off. Though i suppose the the MCs and MLs in all Chinese novels are more or less the same. But it seriously becomes ever more pronounced when it’s in a Xianxia setting because it’s heavily and overly emphasized.
    “My master is so cold, watching blush because of me is so fun.” If I have to read such a line again. Er ma gawd. Smh smh smh.

4. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i like adventure/ supernatural/ horror so I've been into an end of the world/ horror/ quick wear kick for a while. if i need a break i read something that's complete fluff like 'You Boys Play Games Very Well' or 'Don't You Like Me?' to rest my brain.
    i'm not a fan of politics, mpreg, or idiot (naive) MC with no common sense so my choices are limited as i 1) tend to lose interest and drop it or 2) get so irritated with the MC it's not worth the teeth grinding and i drop it.
    sigh.
    I need more stories where the MC smart, or at least normal, and more than just a male version of a shoujo heroine who exists for the ML to obsess over, pamper, rescue, bully and otherwise treat as a child.

Japorea, Gon_, Hoshiandme and 2 others like this.
  5. Berenice96

Berenice96 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I enjoy thriller/horror survival game setting and I wish there were more BL novels like that. I loved The Earth is Online and currently I'm really into Kaleidoscope of Death, it's creepy, gory, addicting and I simply can't get enough of ML's shameless behaviour. The same with apocalypse setting, Back to the Apocalypse is great but there is a serious lack of such a novels and I don't like it if MC is too much of a goody two-shoes. Aside from that, I love the majority of novels with transmigration and rebirth theme, especially in historical setting (MDZS, The Legendary Master’s Wife, I’ve Led the Villain Astray, How Do I Fix It?, Rebirth of the Supreme Celestial Being) however I have nothing against the modern setting (Rebirth of a Supermodel). World-hopping is also appreciated if it's 1v1 like Quickly Wear the Face of the Devil and There Will Always Be Protagonists With Delusions of Starting a Harem. As for the setting I avoid... I don't really have one, I just dislike harem, cheating, love triangles and too dense MCs (there are no exceptions). If you like quasi-historical setting, Sha Po Lang is pretty good novel with slow-burn romance and emphasis on political schemes (it's also steampunk).

RottenApple and rhianirory like this.
  6. White Head Ice Prince

White Head Ice Prince Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    “MDZS” - sire you have my utmost attention.
    Even more so when you recommend You got Mail because I legit literally binged read that a few hours ago and have been wandering on NU with nothing to read when I saw your post on home page. Here’s a toast to us all having the same taste

nachte likes this.
  7. White Head Ice Prince

Reading List:
    Link
    Huat !? I’m currently in my Xianxia hype ! Anything xianxia I love, anything master - disciple I love, anything fellow martial brothers I love, cold master jelly disciple I love ! I can’t imagine myself getting tired of it.

8. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm currently reading it too~ The fire and ice rivalry is too amusing. I think I like that best about the novel, also seeing the MC grow into his own with his healing skills.

But the mention in the recent chapter
    about the doll guy who wants the MC's eyes has me terrified!

readerz and kuroeshiroe like this.
  9. Hoshiandme

Reading List:
    Link
    I was once like you.. :blobsleepless::blobsleepless:....
    It’s not like I hate the genre. I’ll eventually get back into it. But right now, there’s SO MANY XIANXIA. Like so many lmao. Can we give other BL a chance to rise? And you can’t deny they are all the same. Just tweaked a little.

Moonpearl and kuroeshiroe like this.
  10. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    KoD is a good horror/ suspense novel. right now i'm reading A Crowd of Evil Spirits Line Up to Confess to Me using MTL, and i'm really liking My House of Horrors even if it's not BL.

kuroeshiroe and Moy like this.
  11. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha, I've been waiting for someone to post a discussion topic like this too, but there has been nothing for so long, so I just decided to make a thread.

I haven't read an Apocalypse novel yet, probably because I'm too squeamish. But it's interesting how you mention it leans hard on the fluff to try to balance out the intensity. Maybe I will venture and try something that's not too hardcore, if one exists!

I definitely understand the exhaustion with xianxia tropes. I haven't read all that many because I actively avoid certain tags and settings, but I've read a few, though not enough to get me tired of it yet. But yeah, the ones that I listed make me very happy, and I have a few from Priest that I have yet to read that I'm looking forward to.

Is there a particular MC/ML dynamic that you want to read? I always want more flirty banter!

12. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So many people into the horror/apocalypse genre! If I ever try it, I will need to take baby steps, I think. It's not like there's no gore in the BL that I've read (see MXTX novels), it's just how it gets presented to me, I suppose?

But I love 'Don't You Like Me?' for all of the fluff. It's too cute. :blobpats:

I would love to read more of the MC/ML dynamic that you describe. More power couples~!

I haven't try any world hopping novels yet. Quickly Wear the Face of the Devil is always recommended, but I think I'm currently in the mood for a more traditional plot that's not pushed by a system. But one day I shall venture! What makes world hopping appealing to you? The transcendental nature of their relationships? That aspect does appeal to me.

Sha Po Lang is definitely on my To-Read list! As well as Liu Yao. I keep meaning to start them, but I get distracted with things.

rhianirory likes this.
  13. CawCawBird

CawCawBird Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm always in the mood for historical, Xianxia or Wuxia. Within that, I prefer stories without transmigration to those with it (I'm not a huge fan of systems in general but I'll read them)- rebirth stories are okay though.
    I am occasionally in the mood for modern plots (means I'll read it if I like the characters but I'm not entirely sold on the genre). I have tried a few gaming related novels but I just cant get into most of them. I still have a few on my "to read" list but ... not sure. I think it's because I have trouble visualising the games the characters play because I'm not into MMOs myself.

I'm never ever in the mood for genderbender, m-preg and/or omegaverse. They're some of my main squicks and I'll never read it, no exceptions. I really don't like fast transmigration novels either, mostly because a lot of them seem to include omegaverse worlds and I just don't want to bother with it.

nachte likes this.
  14. White Head Ice Prince

Reading List:
    Link
    *ahem* so I had to check my reading list because I forgot what novels I was into (cuz releases are so slow man :)
    As the minor gay Rival in Het Novels
    I seriously have high hopes for this one because one of the only few world hoping novels in which the ML remembers the past world !!! I won’t say too much. Just that it’s very awesome.

Counter Attack of A White Lotus
    Apocalypse BL I really liked but translator Daren is slow OTL I really like it because MC IS A GONG who transmigrated into the body of a slag shou who offended the reborn shou ‘protagonist’ and thus starts the MC’s life of turning more masculine and cleaning up the original goods’ mess while flattering the protagonist so he can hug his thigh while also trying to level up and be more OP than the golden fingered protagonist in the apocalypse

Heroic Death System
    World hopping ! best feature : How to court Death 101 (plus the arcs are super weird, like... definitely not conventional)
    There was an omegaverse world and the ML and MC were both in alpha bodies. None knows how much this satisfied me

Pleasing Start Over
    Also world hopping ! Best feature : both ML and MC’s bodies are their own in those world (like previous reincarnations) idk about you but I didn’t like MC and ML doing smexy stuff in strangers bodies

Reborn as a system
    World hopping, like do I even need to point out it’s unique plot point. I mean look at the name, if that’s not enough look at the synopsis. Yandere ML X System MC what else do you need.

The people who were supposed to kill me fell for me instead
    You will die of Fluff. Very less useless drama and I don’t care what anyone else says the Cat is the best feature.

Some of my favourite BL XianXia I’m following (I’m not even going to mention Mo Xiang Tong Xiu’s novels becuz they’re master pieces and should be obvious)

Who dares Slander My senior Martial Brother
    Oh boy, the starting of this novel was not really very engaging but when the plot picks up, omg. Like if you can just bear through the seemingly boring slice of life at the peak chapters. You will not regret. The MC is supppsed to be the Shou but lately I’m not even sure anymore From how awesome he’s been and I like not being sure ! MC please push down your senior martial brother !!

Want to ascend ? Then Fall in love
    Just 2 translated chapters OTL but such a different take on the xianxia genre, I think the synopsis and title says everything. Just 2 chapters, just read and stuff it in your reading list to wait for updates like me

I’ve led the Villain Astray
    Issa good novel okay! Read the synopsis and reviews

A smile from the villain
    Issa good novel too ! MC character development has been great but the ML is lacking. And this is giving me Scum villain vides so I might be a lil biased, too short to say any further

susanty.smile and nachte like this.
  15. Hoshiandme

Reading List:
    Link
    The one thing I love about Apocalypse is how it’s very hardcore and intense. Which is true of life. It’s realistic.
    I get tired of reading things that’s filled with sugar and rainbows and chocolate unicorns who shit out candy that tastes like ice cream, all the time.
    At least with the apocalypse, it can be sweet as a chocolate rabbit who’s been fed a diet of cotton candy flowers, but there’s a deep scary layer underneath all that. Which makes the novel even more realistic.
    Also. Try
    My Cherry Exploded in the Apocalypse, this one is a super fluff apocalypse! Have fun lol.

And a particular MC/ML dynamic, hmmmmmm. Let’s see let’s see. I’d love flirty banner too, but i seriously want to see a super damaged and barely functioning ML, and a super kind yet still rational and smart MC. Now that would be interesting.

The Mc tries his best to be kind, but he’s smart enough to set limits on such kindness. And he really attempts to understand whats wrong with the ML.
    We always see MLs helping and giving the MC’s a better life and all this other crap. I’d honestly want to see this kind of scenario but reversed.
    Also, of course. INTERCHANGABLE SEX POSTION COUPLE!!
    EVERYONES SO STATIC ITS BORING AS HELL. AT LEAST SPICE THIGS UP BITCH.

Though I say this, my own BL has a helpful and caring ML, but well. THE MC IS SUPER DAMAGED LOL. It’s necessary, (shameless) check out my BL if you’re bored ufufu. Give me 5 stars and some comments! https://www.scribblehub.com/series/7476/i-was-never-alone/

16. Berenice96

Berenice96 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Firstly, it's as you've mentioned, there is something special about the idea of lovers going together through many different lives in spite of changing identities, circumstances and various hardships. I value loyalty in romantic relationships and 'eternal lover' idea seems to be an epitome of faithful love. Secondly, world-hopping is somehow like many different novels in one but with the same MC and ML, so it doesn't let you feel bored. You can read about your favorite characters in many settings like zombie apocalypse, game world, cultivation world, ABO etc.

nachte and Hoshiandme like this.
  17. Hoshiandme

Reading List:
    Link
    And the face slapping is super satisfying.
    Oooo gods. I enjoy a good faceslappimg and revenge plan.

Berenice96 likes this.
  18. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The way you describe the chocolate fluffy bunny with a layer of scary underneath it is indeed intriguing! Everyone has a balance of things that people can handle, and the dichotomy of the two polar extremes does let the reader experience that full range while giving a hint of a different flavor at the same time. I can see the appeal.

Thank you for the rec!

I don't think I've seen a broken/damaged!ML and rational!MC dynamic. It sounds like something where I would have to venture into tragedy territory, and that's just not what I'm looking for in my fiction at the moment. Oh, actually, I just read a JP BL novel with a MC who just got out of a 10 year relationship (the ex-bf decided he wanted a family after all, and broke up with him just like that). The MC is picking up the pieces and trying to live on his own again when he meets the ML, who has a head injury and is slowly losing his memories over time. He writes everything down in a notebook so that he doesn't forget things. The ML is really resistant to starting a relationship with the MC, but when they're together, they just seem to heal each other with their presence... despite the future that's in store for them. It was lovely in that the MC is an author (one of ML's favorite authors, in fact) and he decided to write the ML stories about the times that they were together, he did this for a couple of years while they were separated, and eventually convinced the ML to finally accept that they should be together. It was sad, but lovely.

Ahhh, I definitely would like to read more vers couples!!! I looked for a couple of novels that I could translate from JP, but the only one that interested me is print only... no ebook even... I may need to order and have it delivered.

I have so many novels to read, but if the mood strikes me, I'll check it out sometime~

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Hoshiandme likes this.
  19. Supapa

Supapa Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I always in the mood for fluff!
    Modern and ancient setting I will eat all!
    But I think I prefer Xianxia/Wuxia/Xuanhua genre more tho
    And simple storyline if I can find it
    But I enjoy angst too, even thought I will always bawling my eyes out (as long the story ended with Happy End)

There's many story I love, but now I binge read

Those Years I Operated a Zoo
    It's modern with kinda fantasy setting?
    There's many legendary demon... Slow burn and kinda dumb ML (dumb in cute n good way)
    The story is good to read in leasure--it's 'animal' rearing story after all

Breaking Through the Clouds
    Truthfully I'm more to Xianxia/Wuxia/Xuanhuan person, but!! Butt!!! This story so good! I'm not good using my head so I kinda don't want read something complicated. But this story good, it's mystery and police, the story revolving around drug. There's many plot twist where the MC n ML trust (mainly ML) is tested (no, it's not about 3rd person). Their dynamic... And ML antic
    ML is great person with great personality (lol)

Rebirth of a Movie Star
    Modern day showbiz rebirth genre! It's only 60 chapter, the drama really packed but the pace good, didn't feel too rushed or slow. The relationship begin with ML became MC sugar daddy :blobReach:
    And then it progress until MC became ML's kid parent too...
    ML has kid, but never married. No, the kid Mom never appeared so no drama with the kid Mom (there's other ppl tho, BUT ML devoted to MC and clear he won't have anything with other ppl. He is decisive person)
    I'm crying so much fluff with ML kid :blob_teary:
    Their family so good, too good. ML and ML's kid really love MC. MC love them so much too. Oh, MC and ML are mature person too, so no useless misunderstanding, they communicating well.

I Want to Be in a Relationship
    This story kinda unique maybe? Because the ML umm genius-autism? But still handsome and rich ofc
    And MC is actor who is really, I mean, REALLY lucky. His super luck explained in extra tho. And I'm crying (again)
    It's moving how ML growth, even though he can't understand difficult thing, he IS trying to understand MC. His sincerity melt MC (and ME TOO). So much dog food. But it's good dog food.

Bold of me saying I love ancient and wuxia/xianxia/xianhuan but not reccomend anything with that genre, so here :
    Thousand Autumns
    The Founder of Diabolism
    Liu Yao: The Revitalization of Fuyao Sect
    The Legendary Master’s Wife
    Heaven Official’s Blessing
    Spring Trees and Sunset Clouds
    The Big Landlord
    Mo Flower
    ...and many more

Oh and honorary mention :
    Kiss the Black Cat

For genre I didn't mood I think maybe future / sci-fi / world hopping genre... and anything with Bad Ending

RottenApple, Nuinui and nachte like this.
  20. Hoshiandme

Reading List:
    Link
    You were thinking such a Mc ML dynamic would result in trajedy?
    Like what?! WHY AND HOW. Lol.
    I was thinking along the lines of maybe a little fluff, but a very serious fluff. You know what I mean. It’s not just coat everything in sugar, it’s a slowly baked cookie packed with all kinds of cinnamon. was what I was imagining lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.