Recommendations Genius MC without all that author bullshit

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by dweenator, May 14, 2019.

1. bored nobody

bored nobody Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    God Complex?

strayCat0 likes this.
  2. dweenator

dweenator Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is just based on my impression for having read tons of JP and CN novels.

Ofcourse this doesn't apply to all of them, that's why those novels are a cut above the rest.

For KR novels, my impression of it is that, webtoons over text. if text, avoid one liners.

There's a big trope trend for KR novels, mostly all of them are wish-fulfillment to the extreme but that can be forgiven as people probably read KR novels for those same reasons.

It's just that, the quality of work really differs on what format you are reading them on, if its webtoon then its really good even if the plot goes downhill(they almost always go downhill at the latter half of the story). If you are reading a translated work, then 80% of the time you'll be reading one liners korean novels.

It's the same as reading webtoons just without the colorful pictures and you're only left with the dialogue, thus oneliners.

"hi"

"hello" some description....

"okay"

"fine"

A good way to compare them is to find a translated KR novel elsewhere then compare it to translated KR novels from wuxiaworld, those works are translated really well with added descriptions fitting a written novel.

EDIT: i think this is because most KR novels started as a webtoon so any literal translation works are one liners or empty description wise.

For japanese and chinese novels, they always start out as written works then adapted to manga/manhua then to animated works.

For korean ones, webtoon is their starting point, so its easier to animate them than to translate them into written works unless the author rewrites his story from the ground up in written form or if the webtoon itself started out as a written form.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  3. ayala

ayala Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The great storyteller
    Traffords trading club
    Superstar of tomorrow
    God's song
    Lord of the Mysteries
    My House of Horrors
    The Ultimate Evolution

I understand your point of view about JP and CN novel after reading a ton of them it get tiring... I think that KR's one have the least streotype story, they is still creativity in them and the story is still important !
    The novel I recommanded are about MCs that seek new things and new challange rather then seeking new problem to solve and shine... :)

4. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Once Upon a Time, There Was a Spirit Sword Mountain. MC's intelligent and utilities his intelligence as his main "weapon". He has a Void Spirit Root, considered the best Spirit Root Type... so long as you have a Cultivation Technique for it, which is rare given how rare Void Spirit Roots are. MC is recognized as being of impressive intellect and stays with his sect for extended periods (all that's translated so far), instead of the regular "Moving somewhere stronger because I grew" Trope, and from the spoilers I read I don't think that THAT trope is going to be utilized anytime soon. It isn't like he sits still in the sect, just that he always returns to it. It can roughly be split between Sect Arc's and Away Arcs, where Sect Arc's involve him interacting with members of his sect, particularly his Master, regularly, and Away Arcs involve him using whatever he finds that's available. This novel was started by it's author simply to showcase that you don't need to have your Cultivation Novel MC focus on Power, Power and More Power in order to make their fights interesting.

EnuoFH likes this.
  5. All mighty Asian

All mighty Asian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Lil K.O

Lil K.O [Loki]

Reading List:
    Link
  7. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember everlasting sword god being something like this, from what i read mc was supossed to be crippled but he came back and easily come back to show he still the genius he was before, thought people seems at first to underestimate him after he "slashed the moon" he is soon seem as someone to be recognized,thought random people sometimes think he is weak cause he looks like a noble that doesnt really go out a lot, but idk how it gets over time since i cant take MTL a lot

8. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dreadful radio show.

Ctho likes this.
  9. Ctho

Ctho Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This WN is underrated.

10. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's the combination of QI + supernatural elements+modern elements. Most people think it's your usual ghost story when the novel have so much to offer.

Ctho and Lil K.O like this.
  11. Xhypher

Xhypher Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  12. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    IAmEvil likes this.
  13. JohnnyKatast

JohnnyKatast Active Member