A college degree?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cap.toon, May 17, 2019.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha you didn't ask for a lesson.
    I studied a bit of business. I also disagree with the point about STEM jobs @lnv
    I remember this quote, it is probably Asian

"If everyone is a doctor who is going to be the cab drivers? Bartenders? Etc"

Creating jobs is the first step. The next step is fair wages and you need the government for the second step.
    I don't think liberal arts is bad, My liberal arts college taught me critical thinking.
    College in the U.S. is sort of pointless since we have so many degree mills.
    Entrepreneurs fail but that is life, no one succeeds at the first try that is why you have small business initiatives. I can't recall what it is called is it Skrill?
    That is why registering your business so you have bankruptcy protection is important.
    About starting a business, I wouldn't start mine in the U.S., I might just register it there.
    For example, a McDonald's franchise cost $2 million and above but I will instead start a franchise in say Indonesia and it doesn't necessarily have to be McDonald's.
    Jollibee outperforms McDonald's in the Philippines.
    It is just as expensive though

2. Lil K.O

Lil K.O [Loki]

Reading List:
    Link
    ^^this
    If you gonna go to collage to get a degree get a useful one that people want or are in need of
    Do your research for the job you want
    Fair wages has its own problems but OK
    Even tho some degree can be useful in teaching you certain skills if you can land a job with it it's basically useless and you have wasted your time and money
    You can't completely eliminate poverty
    Poverty will always be there you can decrease it to a certain extent just not eliminate it
    And if we talking about poverty what type of poverty. 1st world poverty or 3rd world poverty
    There's a big difference that lots of people miss
    But overall the ultimate solution of making the economy richer, if the economy is richer then there's more money to go around
    You don't want the pie to smaller or limit the pie you want the pie to bigger so everyone gets a piece

3. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't work like that. Take European countries that offer free college education.
    You have too many job applicants for STEM, it is the same in high population countries like India.
    Too many STEM graduates but not enough jobs for them.
    Job creation is more important than degrees

4. Lil K.O

Lil K.O [Loki]

Reading List:
    Link
    I told you research man
    This is why research is important
    Google is there
    Its more easier now more than ever to search about which jobs are in demand
    And the part about iob creation is true but what do you need to make more jobs
    That's right money
    Make the economy richer then you shall have more jobs

5. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry that doesn't work.
    Jobs in high demand might not be in high demand after 4 years...
    A number of things could happen
    • New government laws might impact the industry
    • Bankruptcy
    • Natural disasters
    • Disruptive technology might be invented

6. Lil K.O

Lil K.O [Loki]

Reading List:
    Link
    Bruh what part about research do you not understand
    Sure jobs in high demand today may not be so high demand in 4 years but also what are the chances of it not being in high demand?
    If you do enough research youll have enough info to make a more informed decision

7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I am bowing out.
    Peace!

8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Because not everyone gets their dream job as the market is competitive. Even if you take STEM and get a degree doesn't mean you have a talent for it. Thus you are forced to get another job. Those jobs in question don't even require a degree.

By raising the intelligence and qualification of the most common denominator, you will advance much faster as a society. The improved education is part of the reason why the world is more prosperous than it has ever been.

If all you want is creating jobs, you can dig holes and cover them back up every day. Thus jobs are created. As I pointed out, the source of job creation is investment and innovation. This is what creates jobs.

No, it is useless. Critical thinking should have been taught to you in middle school to high school.

What most colleges tell employers is that you have the patience to make it through college. That said, the quality of the college matters as well. If you look at most colleges, they are WAY outdated and just teach you the basics. To be honest, high schools should already start people on their career choices. This is why even after getting out of college, a lot of people are clueless once they hit the real world.

As for starting a business, sure there are risks like with everything, but I wouldn't bother with a business degree. You can take a business course as a minor, but it is a waste of time to major in it even more than anything else. I've had plenty of business partners with business degrees and they were more clueless than anyone else. If you want a course that will help in business, accounting is much better.

StuffedDuck, Lil K.O and kenar like this.
  9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    You say you have plenty of those with business degrees who are clueless.
    It applies to every field if the college is crap or the student did not apply themselves.
    I disagree that you need innovation and investment to create jobs.
    You mostly need an entrepreneurial spirit.
    Too many people want to be employees instead of enployers it is not sustainable.
    In countries like India, you have so many STEM graduates and not enough STEM jobs but end up with seemingly over qualified people who are incompetent in their place of work.
    In a perfect world, learning mathematics will help you resolve couple disputes but it doesn't.
    When I said creating jobs, I meant good jobs.
    Under the table jobs do not count.
    The government owns companies and creates jobs in places like Venezuela but that is a recipe for disaster.
    I don't consider the U.S. a good environment for entrepreneurs to be honest since no matter how astute you are, you cannot compete with venture capitalists and their unlimited funds.
    Let's agree to disagree. It is tempting but I am bowing out of this discussion

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  10. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    what's the matter now not the degree but the skill......

Wujigege likes this.
  11. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    A scientist who loves science can become a college professor to help fund his research. No business man is going to become a college professor cause he loves to teach people how to make money. Effectively, the only people teaching there are those who failed or those who never tried. So even those from top colleges get taught nothing more than theory you can find in any book that is worthless.

You are better off getting a degree in the field you wish to conduct business in, and take some accounting and finance courses on the side than majoring in business. What they teach there is completely wrong.

Which works nothing without investment and innovation. I mean you have ran a website trying to cover the costs of translation already for how long? Your previous posts about how brutal making ends meet is. And the source of entrepreneurial spirit is innovation.

I assure you, everyone and their grandma wants to run their own business. They don't because they don't have the ability to and come to terms with reality.

The level of STEM in india is not as high as you think. Of course the top is excellent, but the average is not.

India actually has no shortage of STEM jobs, actually they are lacking in STEM employees and need more! What they are lacking is STEM talent that meets the minimum requirements, and many of the STEM courses are not producing that.

Trust me I know from personal experience as I have multiple businesses of my own and work with people who outsource to India as well. But if you need more proof, then here you go:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...es-are-fit-for-a-job/articleshow/64446292.cms

Everyone has talents they are good at and bad at, just because you have a lot of STEM doesn't mean that everyone has the capability. This is why I said that college is too late to pick your career. Because if you realize you made a mistake midway, it gets complicated. If anything it would be better if students got basic training in high school and took internship prior to college, then go into college based on their experience and understanding. Instead, even if you know what you want in college, you won't know exactly what you need. And when you are paying a high student loan and are already an adult with expenses, changing midway is difficult and you can be wasting a ton of time on things you don't need.

That is a 50/50, the government creating jobs isn't a bad thing in itself, just it can't be the only one doing so. Venezuela is a perfect example of failure of doing investment. They thought oil was going to stay high forever and passed social programs dependent on oil economy. The lack of investing into industry is what lead to their failure.

Instead look at Japan and Korea which went from almost nothing in WW2 to some of the biggest economies. And they did so by focusing on investment and innovation.

US is a great place for entrepreneurs, venture capitalists have a ton of money, but they are not only competitors. You can get funding from them and grow in size yourself, albeit you will have to hand over a lot of the control to them (they won't bug you when things are good, but when things are bad your pretty much screwed) (We had a few venture capitalists offer to sponsor some of our companies, we declined). Because venture capitalists are not your competition as an entrepreneur, they would rather buy you then waste time trying to create a competing product. And many entrepreneurs do just that, their whole goal is to create companies and sell them. I remember one of the partners for one of the companies we made was like "our goal is to sell the company" on day 1! The only reason we agreed to work with them was because they offered to get us in other countries (this benefited our other businesses because we could sell more countries so partners who never worked with us before came to us. So we were able to get more clients for our other businesses)

The reason why you feel venture capitalists are making it hard for you to compete is due to lack of connections. Business is ALL about connections. If anything, the connections you make in college are more important than the diploma 100X fold.

In business, you spend just as much time working on connections than you do running your business. Because 1 good connection can easily double your business.

Lil K.O likes this.
  12. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I deleted my reply and sent you a private message

13. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of people go to college because pretty much everyone goes and it leads to good jobs. However most people aren't suited to go to college or don't even know what they want and enroll to a wrong college. IMO third rate colleges should be closed as they are a total waste of time and money if they aren't free. I mean people with an average of 3.0 or a C who got that in a second rate high school go to college, they don't face the reality they aren't smart enough. I had a quasi relationship(I was in it just for sex) with a girl known for her stupidity so much I was embarassed to be seen with her, she didn't get a cashier job coz of a simple counting test they have. With the standards on colleges now and how pretty much anyone can enroll, I wasn't suprised she enrolled as well later on.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  14. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah and I have a business degree too, what's your point?
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    What are you trying to say? You just make a statement and then go off rambling about starting a business. Yes you can start a business up, but like everything else, it costs money.

I'm not saying that more jobs are bad, I'm just saying that if wealth distribution was a bit more level, there wouldn't be a need for them. How many people could live fine off the wealth hoarded by the top 10% or so?

15. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    College degree isn't an absolute must-have, but it certainly has its advantage. As for the low wage job, I think that we would slowly replace them with machines, letting them do the repetitive job that did not require much thinking.

You might ask, what would happen to those with low education then? I say, they would move to do something that required some speciality, like machine operators. Something that did not require degrees but requires some special training course.

IMO, if you want jobs that guarantee to not disappear or lower the demand in the near future, choose things that required creativity or communication as the main elements of the skillset.