Request How to Start a media empire.?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, May 17, 2019.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    How to Start a media empire.
    I would you go about starting the next Kadokawa: they publish light novels, games and anime and even live action dramas(TV Shows ) and movies.
    I have my own ideas about starting a transmedia franchise but I rather hear yours.
    Imagine two scenarios:
    1 You have unlimited funds
    2 A few thousand dollars

Lianna likes this.
  2. Juju48

Juju48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Write a book. It sound easier.

3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this the plot for that novel you said you wanted to write? (the one about empire building, this is what you meant?)
    Or are you actually planning to start a project? (in this case, did you consider all matters, like providers, resources ownership and copyright and all those details...)

Wujigege likes this.
  4. Lil K.O

Lil K.O [Loki]

Reading List:
    Link
    What?
    If you have unlimited funds just pour money into the franchise and force it into existence
    Make manga/anime etc exculisve to your site by buying them or signing exclusive contracts
    If you only have a few thousand dollars then you can only start from the ground up by building up your brand
    Get some originals posted or signed up with your brand and use them to advertise your brand further, you gotta stay with the curve and in touch with what everyone is currently reading or watching not only that you gotta keep eyes on your competition, you gotta be steps ahead of them
    Overall its a fucking lot of work to make an empire and will takes years and millions of dollars to make the dream come true

Wujigege likes this.
  5. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not at liberty to say
    Thanks for the feedback. It wont need as much money if you target a third world country

6. Lil K.O

Lil K.O [Loki]

Reading List:
    Link
    Competition man
    If you got competition it's gonna cost you alot more money cause you gotta compete and if you wanna build an empire then you gotta destroy your competition or be way ahead of them

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Wiser words haven't been said. Thanks a lot
    Personally, I intend to be the competition: a false duopoly :blobowoevil_horns:

Lil K.O likes this.
  8. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I suppose you don't :blobshh:

Wujigege likes this.
  9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Now we just have to wait for @lnv to add his input
    @userunfriendly too

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  10. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    I got nothin...media empire? Is it good to eat? :p

My skill set completely lacks any ability in business...

:blobhug:

Wujigege likes this.
  11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    What's your skill set?

12. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Psychology, computer networking, some Linux...:rolleyes:

Wujigege likes this.
  13. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    1: buyout Kadokawa Dwango Corperation, or whatever company you fancy
    2: aim a tiny bit smaller ... especially with only a couple of thousands ... best chance would be to concentrate on a (neglected) niche segment, or to build funds/name/customer base with your own product first and then to expand and attract others ...

Lil K.O and Wujigege like this.
  14. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... this topic is a bit complex for something like a forum post... I would have to spend almost a day formulating everything : /

Overall, I'll just say an extension of what we discussed in the convo, aim at a niche, grow out and expand on aspects that are not covered by the others to stand out and take advantage of first mover to grow rapidly.

Wujigege likes this.
  15. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well for both scenarios the best way is by first haveing the rigth contacts for the business, then define your target demograph and procure to deliver what they desire.

Wujigege likes this.
  16. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Look at Qidian. Look at you. Look at Qidian, now back at you.

If you want to do it like Qidian, brute force your way despite opposition by throwing money down the drain. Eventually you'd get something right and some stuff you barely did right will stack up and you will eventually scrape by. There is power in perseverance. Eventually, the drain will get clogged up and you'll get all the juicy sewage water. This is what unlimited money gets you.

If you don't have unlimited money, just do what you can in your generation. Kadokawa was not buit in a day, a month, a year or even 10 years. Kadokawa was founded a couple of months after World War 2 concluded, during the time when the Japanese society was reeling from the shock. The founder of Kadokawa did not start as a company right away, nobody at that time had the money to either fund his business nor buy his books. He started as a street seller, peddling used magazines for 4 years before he found some authors and started his own brand. He sold less than 1000 copies nationwide in his first year. However, this book design was so revolutionary, that people started to think that while his books lacked content, it was a fine luxury. The surviving first bunkobons are now collectors prize.

Wiki would tell you that Kadokawa was founded on 1954, but no, that's wrong. If it started in 1954 then how did Kadokawa Bunko, its first imprint was started in 1949? Unless of course, Kadokawa didn't register his company until 1954, which Ai-chan doesn't know if this was case. If this was the case, then Kadokawa had worked unlicensed for 9 years. Don't expect easy victory, it took 30 years for Kadokawa to succeed, and that's only after the founder was dead.

His son, Haruki Kadokawa was the real reason for Kadokawa's success. While Genyoshi laid the foundation and set the work culture at Kadokawa, it was his son who elevated the company after his death. Haruki turned the serious literature of Genyoshi's era into fictional works. In the same year Haruki took over, he funded a movie studio to branch out into movies, taking serious loans. If the movie had flopped, Kadokawa might have folded over. Thankfully it didn't fail, it became the second highest earning of the year 1976. Up to 1993, Kadokawa focused on movies, and did not progress much in books, and they became well known as publisher of movies.

Not just anyone can do this. It probably can't be done nowadays. Why? Because when Haruki got Kadokawa into the movie industry, he was lucky enough that his father died at the right time. Had his father died 3 years later, he would've lost his opportunity. It was well known that at that time, the Japanese film industry was struggling, but Kadokawa's timely entrance allowed them to dominate the market with quality films at moderate cost with many actors willing to work at reduced pay in fear of the industry collapsing.

And then there's syosetu, appearing at the right time, a year after Kadokawa was trying to rebrand itself to appeal to the younger audience. Kadokawa was not principal to syosetu's creation, but was visionary enough that it became one of syosetu's earliest sponsors. As a result, they had a lot of young talents to draw from, and that was how Kadokawa became the one that we know today.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Chrono Vlad and Wujigege like this.
  17. airesten

airesten Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would look on syosetsu to find novels i feel have merit or even translated novels on this website that found success but didn't outside of this website and try to give them more exposure. Like The Death Mage Doesn't Want Who Doesnt Want a Fourth isnt really that popular, so if i could buy that book and the author out of their contract then i would try to. Or even My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending hasnt really gotten traction. And then of course if i signed the authors and got the license, if they got popular i would try to make an anime out of it. I would also consider translating the light novel version of animes into english as publishers dont usually do that. For example, the Kenja no Mago light novel i dont believe has been translated, so i would try to get permission for various popular animes that i dont believe have done so. This would attract people and could give more attention to the other novels on the website. and then if i ever made a manga instead of the anime, i would put a lot of attention and money in making those look amazing because they can really ruin an experience and potential readers if they are horrible. Making bad mangas isnt good for anyone. Also if you make great mangas or even a great manga, it attracts alot of viewers and can provide many opportunities to get bigger

Wujigege likes this.
  18. Mount Tai Unleashed

Mount Tai Unleashed This one has tai but can't see mount eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    Step 1: Go back in time
    Step 2: Shamelessly plagiarize future businesses and angel invest.
    Step 3: Profit?

Wujigege likes this.