Discussion What do you think about Translators cutting chapters into multiple parts?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by NinjapowerMS, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    it's alright, it's something normal in this business,
    can't blame them..., maybe they used translations as their main jobs, if there's no incentive they will starve or will have some debt.

if you don't like it.. maybe you need pay them or translate it by yourself....,

note : i'm only free reader.
    :blobpopcorn_two::blobpopcorn_two::blobpopcorn_two::blobpopcorn_two::blobpopcorn_two::blobpopcorn_two:

Cream and StuffedDuck like this.
  2. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    ... you could ... maybe ... just stockpile all 'parts' of a chapter and only read the 'complete' chapter once you got all parts ...

As long as you don't pay per 'chapter' (part) I don't see any problem with them releasing a chapter cut into parts ... I only dropped one website doing the split into several pages due to the positioning of the 'next page' button below the 'next chapter' button ... annoyed the hell out of me, myself & I ...

3. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    It's no big deal. Slightly annoying but still tolerable.

Cream likes this.
  4. cosmosg

cosmosg Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds Terrible but sometimes effective. Gotta Do whatever We can to fight piracy :blobhero::blobhero:

5. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    depends on the length of the chapter but a whole chapter is preferred and more than two parts is annoying. if i get too annoyed i usually just drop the story and move on and tend to avoid that translator in the future. there are some translators who only release 1 to 2 chapters a month; i personally prefer more than that, but 1 chapter a week would be better than 1 chapter broken into 5 parts and released for five days in a row.

Cream likes this.
  6. NinjapowerMS

NinjapowerMS Local man ruins everything

Reading List:
    Link
    Believe me I don't care at this point since I already read the Raws and I'm content with what I got since I frequent a site that discusses the Raws anyway. This coming from the guy who stockpiled Overlord for almost half a decade apparently and just caught up recently.
    Only reason I'm ranting about this is I really like the novel itself, Seeing people about to drop the novel because of the atrocious pacing for both the story and translation sucks. I want the novel to get some following which it had in the beginning when it was being released accordingly.
    Of course ultimately this is the translator's final decision so whatever. Though I rather let another group take over it that cares about the novel since they don't seem have a lot of priority over it.

kenar, Sabruness and Cream like this.
  7. TheLadyWhoLikesBoyLove

TheLadyWhoLikesBoyLove Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it really annoys me, I had read many cn novels like that, I mtl'd all of it while keeping updated with the translator, but each chapter/part they update is annoying because I cant even scroll down on my phone, CUZ its that short. Like, I appreciate your effort and all, but id rather wait 1 or 2 chapter every week instead of 1 chapter chop down into several parts and gets updated for the span of 2 weeks. sorry for my english btw

8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't get why you don't just stockpile a few chapters before reading it? It's not like you'd read it any differently than the raw if you waited until all parts were translated.

Though I think it's kinda funny to hear people saying they'd wish another group would poach the novel... And then they complain about translators dropping their favorite novels due to cancerous readers annoying them too much... It's laughable~

9. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Like others have mentioned, cutting chapters into parts has it's uses when done right and with thought. Cutting chapters for ad revenue (not a comment on OP's mentioned novel, just a general comment) tends to suck.

On the topic of the novel, i love it but the mixed release schedule combined with the sometimes flawed pacing of the novel itself (and it's sometimes diversions away from MC for a while) is not exactly conducive to maintaining readership. I've put it on hold myself for who knows how long it'll take to build up enough whole chapters to actually progress the story reasonably.

10. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well lets do this properly.

CN and JP novels
    if you chop these chapters up, you're just being ridiculous.
    this is because authors themselves regulate themselves and do not go past the word count unless it is necessary or an event.
    of course there are several JP novels that have long chapters but these are often the exception.

KR novels
    now this is where chapter separation often occurs and the only kind of WN where chapter seperation is often reasonable.
    this is because for some odd reason, korean WN authors write their chapters to be over 10,000 characters long.

since today, releasing daily is already considered slow, translators HAVE to chop these chapters up.

you have to remember that while reading a chapter thats around 2000 words long only takes about 10 minutes, it actually takes about 90 minutes to translate a 2000 word chapter

11. kuroeshiroe

kuroeshiroe Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's fine, especially this one story I like that splits chapters... but they released daily so it's not a problem. Their release rate is fast enough that I can still enjoy reading.

There are limits though. Splitting one short chapter into pages is annoying but I would still be okay if releases fast enough but if they split yet release slowly, then that is annoying.

12. Causal Reader

Causal Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If a chapter gets chopped up in many pages just to get more add clicks(extremely annoying).
    Either not reading it, or if already in my novel must read simply go to another source(won't specify).

13. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    As a translator(?) who translate stuff from LN. I usually split the Novel chapter into 1500-3000 Japanese characters long, since that's the usual WN chapter length. Since translating a full chapter might take 14 days or more......

For example, NHS LN Volume 1 Prologue Chapter contained 27,109 JP characters (according to MS Word count). I split it into 8 parts of about ~3,000 to 4,000 JP characters long per chapter that will be translated into ~1,500 to 2,000 EN words long.

My usual translating speed is 300 to 500 JP Characters per hour (yeah it's slow). So assuming the fastest speed of 500 characters per hour, then it will take ~54 hours. Assuming I only can spend 3 hours per day (due to work and RL life, I translate as a hobby after all), then it will take ~18 days.

So, since I don't use ads on the site and don't really care about SEO, view count, or the likes, splitting the chapters is more about the convenience in translating though......

Then again, I am a lazy guy...

shan1102, Kuro_0ni and AliceShiki like this.
  14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    simple
    is it still worth da wait or not?
    opinion differ
    I still prefer read full chappy on one go tho despite it may result on months of wait~ but with current condition on translation I think such thing on unpopular side~
    correction~
    those for WN cuz for published book I mean regular novel/ln each chappy quite long

15. Cloudseeker

Cloudseeker Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes it can be within reason especially for those who are doing it as a hobby. Taking the time to bring us a story is very kind of them. Only when you find out that they've been cutting chapters so as to double their income what can I say? :)

16. Scholar Occult Cauldron

Scholar Occult Cauldron Bonk Maestro | Ascended

Reading List:
    Link
    If it really bothers you, just MTL it. Ankoku Kishi was one of the few novels that aren't complete gibberish when you try to translate using Google. Sure, names might be a bit funny (Reiji becomes Rage and Kuroki is Croque) but it's still readable.
    I remember I once tried to be a patreon and found out that you only get access to the parts the T'l is currently translating (the uneditted stuff), leaving a gap of 5-6 finished chapters at the time that I had to pay full price for.

Tl;Dr: Just MTL it, it doesn't take too much from the experience.

shan1102 likes this.
  17. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    As a whimsical translator, I prefer not to chop up my chapters. Whether a chapter is 4000 characters or less, or even 10,000+characters, the Chapter will be released in its entirety. If I have to delay translations just maintain that principle, I inform my readers about it.

When I first started my translation project character count was in the rough 4000 ~ 6000, lately though its been on the higher 8000 ~ 10,000+

Then again, I'm not doing this for profit either, no ads, I don't ask for patreon, ko-fi or paypal. (eventually I might). As for my way of dealing with aggregators, I just put hidden text in between my translations.
    ------------>

As a reader, depending on the novel length, I can give it some leeway. Just as long as the navigating experience isn't troublesome.
    Like If I want to read the next part, I'm not redirected to another filler page, which then redirects me to the part I want to read. Or inadvertently the link is a dead link, now I have to try to use the table of contents to get to the next chapter part.

If the navigating part becomes a hassle then it is off-putting.

18. xxdjynxx

xxdjynxx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well to be honest, if it's me then I don't like cutting chapters. But translators do this for convenience i guess so. Meh. Em fine with it. It's better if they don't tho

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.