Japan It's Not Funny Anymore

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, May 19, 2019.

1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Next part of the article is about comedy, the guy dislikes the 2 men stand show, which is... His opinion I guess? I personally think it's entertaining.

And he also dislikes comedy related to saying the same word multiple times in contexts that it wouldn't make much sense... I personally love those, there is a whole genre of youtube videos called "youtube Poop" which rely on this a lot, and I laugh all the time when watching those.

So... He apparently hates Japanese Comedy and dislikes how people reference it in day to day conversations... Fair enough, it's his own opinion, but I don't think it matters for anything.

2. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't disagree that there are problems with Japan, or any country for that matter. I just think the way he pointed out his opinions was shit. The way he worded it out, everything just makes him sound like a whiny little baby who misses home.

kenar, Wujigege and AliceShiki like this.
  3. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    France, Germany, the United Kingdom, China, Japan and Italy - Right, what does this tell you? Look at the lineup. Amazing lineup right there. You also didn't know that Americans travel all the way to Thailand and Brazil to find little girls to fuck, right?

So does this mean France, Germany, UK, China, Japan, Italy and USA all have pedophilia problem? Nope, statistics doesn't say so. It's the opposite, all those who want to do it, left the country.

I'm not saying they have no idea how to conduct research for journalism. I'm saying that they have a specific narrative to push. If you want real info, look at statistics.

Dude, the entire Asia has a problem with reporting rape and abuse. If you're a girl and you report that you're raped in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Afghanistan, you won't get justice, you will get imprisoned. If you're a girl and you report that you're raped in South East Asia area, it's you who will be the one shamed, not the rapists. China doesn't care that you get raped, and while you can report being raped, justice is a hit or miss. This is not a Japan problem only. This happens all across Asia.

kenar likes this.
  4. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, the next one about movies is really short so I'll pair it up with the next part.

The movies one basically has him complaining about how he dislikes their movies, apparently because of them being low budget and because they're based on something... *shrugs* His own opinion, if they are produced, it's because people like it.

I won't comment on the fact that Animated Movies are still great and stuff because he was apparently only talking about movies with actual people involved in the filming though~

In the next section he then complains about passive aggressiveness and what not... Fair enough, this also annoys me, not much more to say.

If anything, I prefer when people keep their anger bottled up to themselves or cry to their friends instead of taking it out on random people on the street.
    *nod nod nod* That's pretty much what I'm getting from the article... He rarely gives out any solid point, with most of his arguments consisting of: "I dislike this thing and that is my personal opinion, and I also dislike how this might impact videogames".

5. Lushwf

Lushwf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "I just think the way he pointed out his opinions was shit. The way he worded it out, everything just makes him sound like a whiny little baby who misses home."

So for that fact alone you're going to deny the legitimacy of what he's saying? Thats the fallacy you're committing right there. Even if a sociopath or insane person says something correct, just because they are insane or anti-social it doesn't make it less true.

"I'm not saying they have no idea how to conduct research for journalism. I'm saying that they have a specific narrative to push. If you want real info, look at statistics. Dude, the entire Asia has a problem with reporting rape and abuse. If you're a girl and you report that you're raped in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Afghanistan, you won't get justice, you will get imprisoned. If you're a girl and you report that you're raped in South East Asia area, it's you who will be the one shamed, not the rapists. China doesn't care that you get raped, and while you can report being raped, justice is a hit or miss. This is not a Japan problem only. This happens all across Asia."

What narrative? it was an article about this, so they're not going to write about it? You act like these same magazines don't write articles about other countries doing the same thing, of course they do!
    This, you're just making my point for me, what else are you trying to say?

You're both just pushing back by shifting blame onto others instead of maturely and reasonably addressing the actual issue. The entire time this hasn't been a Japan vs the World conversation but you both seem set out to make it that way.

6. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link

1 thing I'd like to point out. Lard was removed from products in the west due to bullshit evidence back in the 70s-90s, and now we know that Lard (and fat for that matter) isn't as unhealthy as we were lead to believe. Can't possibly imagine which industries had a hand in that. It's not like companies and industries in the west don't often do shit like this.

kenar, Vanidor and AliceShiki like this.
  7. waleuska

waleuska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    http://www.onepiecepodcast.com/2015...-rankings-part-1-romance-dawn-to-arlong-park/

8. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, and now he complains about the price of things in Tokyo?

Surely he jests, it's common sense that Tokyo is super mega ultra duper expensive, that's his fault for living in such an expensive place.

... Besides, his complaints about high prices are a bit laughable to me, because things are relatively more expensive over here than they are over there (relatively because it costs more minimum wages here to buy a game than it costs there... On the other hand, their price is bigger in USD because Yen is stronger than my country's currency).

This is just petty whining, people will always sell stuff as expensive as they can, this is true everywhere in the world.

Following that he talks about the lack of subjective... And starts his point by saying Japanese Games suck, which is hilarious from my point of view since almost all games I play nowadays are Japanese... Mainly because I love Tactics JRPGs, Visual Novels, Standard JRPGs and other similar thingies which just aren't produced by most western producers... Guess what? Encouraging niches and aiming their games at people that like specific things that aren't mainstream is actually a good thing for gaming industry! It's why I keep buying their games instead of playing only old stuff in emulators!

So uhn... After giving his totally biased and (IMHO) nonsensical view about the state of their still very solid and functional gaming/movie industry, he then proceeds to complain about how reviews lack subjectivity and what not... Fair enough I suppose, I really hate reviews that refuse to point out the bad parts of something, I remember spending a few hours searching for reviews of the original Final Fantasy Tactics just to see if I could find more people that agreed to my point of view that the game sucked.

On the other hand, I saw similar things in my own country, in which reviews ranged pretty much from 9.8 to 10, with 10 being the most common grade... It's damn annoying.

For once, he gives a fair complaint, though with a completely dumb opening statement.

9. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh really? Me shifting the blame? How about I send that back to you? Why are you so intent on pushing all the blame on Japan, even using dubious sources from 20 years ago to push your narrative? Why would you keep avoiding the fact about the western world and about how Japan as a country isn't even in the list of offenders?

Japan is a country, is it not? Pedophilia is a human crime is it not? Do humans only live in Japan? Are everyone else in the world monkeys and don't answer to their own crimes?

10. Lushwf

Lushwf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There isn't anything dubious, and none of my sources were from before 2010. The point is were talking about Japan, and rather than accept that you need to involve other countries.

That's not how informed people debate things, it's more like saying No you! No you! in the schoolyard.

The point is when you need to turn to how awful (comparatively) someone else is just to make your own point, what do you even stand on?

11. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link

It's not a fallacy, please stop using that word. Also, literally the first thing I said in my reply was that Japan (and any country) has it's problems, but if you're going to complain about something, go about it the right way. There's a reason why the meme "You're not wrong, you're still an asshole" is a thing. Framing things is important, especially as a journalist, if you can't bother to word things properly, then why the fuck should I bother with your opinions? And that's exactly what half of the stuff he was complaining about was. Opinions.

Here is a small list of the things I can remember off of the top of my head that are pure opinions.

Anime is shit now. (Also known as nostalgia bullshit)

So many people smoke (Criticizing other people for their personal choices because he doesn't like it, as expected from a vegan who later goes on to criticism meat)

Everything in Japan has meat in it (So does a lot of things in the west? I mean, we all know why it's done. It's obviously a money thing, and also the fact that people obviously like it. It's not like there are no vegan/vegetarian markets in Japan....)

The mandatory parties (I mean....Is this really a problem? I know it happens a lot, it's even a meme, but this isn't exactly a factually bad thing? You're basically just complaining about how their society is built at that point?)

Some Japanese office traditions are genuinely terrifying (wut?)

Screaming is the message (Again, he's just complaining about Japanese norms and society, notice how none of this is factual but all based on opinion?)

Japanese movies suck (I mean, I could say the same about a lot of movies from all over the world, still an opinion)

etc. Honestly, I might have underestimated my percentage.... Also, on the topic of pedophilia. Frankly speaking, I don't give a shit if a creepy otaku from Japan or the west decide to fap to 2d anime children. Not my fucking problem. Hell, I would even wager that having them enamored with 2d lolis actually decreases the rate of rape and violence towards actual children. Is it creepy? Sure, but I'd take creepy over literally disgusting any day. Granted I am biased, seeing as how I think lolis are cute as shit. But as you said, just because I have a bias doesn't mean you can ignore my point, right ;)?

AliceShiki likes this.
  12. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh really? My, are you blind? http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2054271,00.html

This is your own article.

Not how people debate? I gave your my sources, right? I pointed out using those sources, why your assessment was wrong. Maybe you're the one who don't know how informed people debate. Citing articles that don't provide sources is not how you debate. You have to do actual research not rely on articles without sources.

13. Lushwf

Lushwf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Firstly it absolutely is a fallacy.
    ad hominem: Latin for "to the man." An arguer who uses ad hominems attacks the person instead of the argument. Whenever an arguer cannot defend his position with evidence, facts or reason, he or she may resort to attacking an opponent either through: labeling, straw man arguments, name calling, offensive remarks and anger.

That has been the entire thread pretty much.

You haven't lived in Japan I'm betting, and neither have I, but that person has lived there, worked there and not merely stayed as a tourist. This is from first hand, if anecdotal evidence.

14. Lushwf

Lushwf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright I missed that one, though it's only a drop in the bucket of articles that exist, I'm sure with all the sources you'd like. Not to mention the info I pulled from your own link.

15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Then he complains about people moving things in a store... Uhn... Well, I think they do it because it works, but I do agree with him that it's annoying, I like knowing where things are when I go buying them.

However, I can just ask an employee if I don't know where the stuff I want is, so it's not really a problem...? I agree that it's annoying though.

Following that he complains about the culture of apologizing? Oh please, why is that frustrating? It's just... Part of the culture? I'd much rather deal with a culture that constantly apologizes over everything instead of one that never apologizes.

Then he complains about Template Conversations... Uhn... Okay, I can understand this one. But it's a minor issue I suppose.

Then he goes on about how a pizza he liked had more stuff added in it and that he didn't like the stuff added... And never went to the place again instead of talking to the employee and saying he didn't like the new stuff and would prefer the normal pizza instead.
    Geez, this guy doesn't know the basics of human communication.

Following that he complains about the Drink Ticket system... Fair enough, I'd also be annoyed if I was forced to buy a ticket for a drink I know I won't use. Though most places would just put an entrance fee on it instead and call it a day I guess?
    Why are you defining Ad Hominen when you are calling something a Fallacy? Go define Fallacy.

16. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not an ad hominem...I said it makes him SOUND like one, not that he IS one. I also went on to explain why I said this, and listed out other reasons why I disagree with him. Clearly I am not avoiding the topic and just name calling here. So...With that in mind, please use the word fallacy correctly. I've also lived there, and have friends that still live there, so what the heck is the point of your last sentence? Do I have to live there for 20 years to have an opinion? LOL Heck, the other person you're arguing against has also been to and possibly lived in japan as well? @Ai chan

Also, if you're going to counter ad hominem, do keep in mind that the fallacy is specifically referring to when a person "counters" an argument by attacking the person/persons character making the argument. Similar to how you just claimed my argument is invalid because you assumed I have never been to, nor lived in Japan.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    AliceShiki likes this.
  17. Lushwf

Lushwf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fallacy
    A fallacy is the use of invalid or otherwise faulty reasoning, or "wrong moves" in the construction of an argument. A fallacious argument may be deceptive by appearing to be better than it really is. Some fallacies are committed intentionally to manipulate or persuade by deception, while others are committed unintentionally due to carelessness or ignorance. The soundness of legal arguments depends on the context in which the arguments are made.
    http://www.nobeliefs.com/fallacies.htm

It's so easy to google something, good god.

18. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    "One Piece was acquired in a package with other Toei anime such as Ultimate Muscle and Magical DoReMi, and 4Kids licensed the series based on its merchandising potential and success in Japan without looking at the content of the episode in detail. When the episodes arrived, 4Kids staff were shocked at how much unsuitable material they found and were beginning to regret localizing it and wanted to pass on it, but they were forced to localize it or else it would be a violation of their package deal. "

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/4Kids_Entertainment

Let us just end the back and forth
    Japan is not as bad as many portray it but it is not as good either

19. Lushwf

Lushwf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not an ad hominem...I said it makes him SOUND like one, not that he IS one. I also went on to explain why I said this, and listed out other reasons why I disagree with him. Clearly I am not avoiding the topic and just name calling here. So...With that in mind, please use the word fallacy correctly.

ad hominem: Latin for "to the man." An arguer who uses ad hominems attacks the person instead of the argument. Whenever an arguer cannot defend his position with evidence, facts or reason, he or she may resort to attacking an opponent either through: labeling , straw man arguments, name calling, offensive remarks and anger.

The point is, that on no other basis than YOU disagreeing with him in a very personal and subjective way, you just dismiss everything he says that you disagree with...................................

20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Now he is complaining about people putting Tape on a Barcode? Even when it has a reasonable reason behind it? Uhn... What? Why is he complaining about this?

Next he complains about a valid business strategy that works, which is forcing people to make reservations to go to a given place... Uhn... Yeah, sure, go complain about people's valid ways of making money, that's a totally good idea.
    And he also makes use of the opportunity to shit on the story of JRPGs apparently... Because the story of Skyrim is much better, right? Right!?

Oh, and he dislikes the weather too... Okay.

Ah, and he also likes the grammar... Wow, this is such a valid complaint that totally has a lot of backing behind it.
    Okay, so... What part of Tachibana's point is a Fallacy?
    Because 90% of his points are very personal and subjective so we have no way of disagreeing with it except in putting our own personal and subjective views on the matter?

Except when he says dumb shit that is, in this case we just prove him wrong.