Discussion Reading angst/drama that just bring the masochism in me, out

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Karry, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karry

Karry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm currently reading Muted and it's filled with nothing BUT drama and angst and I the dumb idiot I am, continue on reading with waterfalls streaming down my face.

I would LOVE to avoid these genres but they always pull me in like a black hole. Dragging me into a full set of emotions I don't want to go through but will do so anyways. It was the same with Banana Fish. My poor, fragile heart.

It's even worse when the story is actually good!

So ya'll the same? Like your heart being abused that much. Riding that emotional roller coaster?

Mr. Meh Man and Cream like this.
  2. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    no thanks, i'm a sadist. Schadenfreude is my favorite food when it comes to novels

Karry likes this.
  3. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah yes, the books on the emo/self-harm lists on goodreads. :blobpats:

4. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Banana Fish... :blobsob::blobsob::blobsob:

Ugh, I always suffer through the angst, but when the happy emotional payoff comes for a good novel, the highs are exhilarating. Which is why I keep suffering...:blob_teary:

It's kinda funny that there's no angst tag on NU. But I suppose drama is enough of a warning for angst?

Karry likes this.
  5. Karry

Karry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True but angst is on a different level from drama so I would like a tag at least. Not like I'm ever going to be able to avoid it.

6. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My heart grows stronger with each angst. I just want my Choukakou to be resumed, damn it.

7. Halmista

Halmista Doctor of Books

Reading List:
    Link
    Same to be honest. But I have a ceiling. And Banana Fish is so past that ceiling that as much as I want to watch it, I can't take the first step.
    Also, most of the novels that I read has this element of hurt/comfort for some quick doses of angst.

8. Karry

Karry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Banana fish didn't even have a satisfying ending which hurts even more. (I'm in constant denial)
    I also aim for those type of novel but the heavy angst one always latch on to me one way or another.

9. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Too bad everyone on the internet is already broken... Can't we just have relaxing vanilla type stories without giving me a toothache via jaw clenching?

Karry likes this.
  10. Cream

Cream Cream

Reading List:
    Link
    The tears and those pangs in my heart feel so damn good. When I read, I want to feel. A good reading experience should be able to move me in one way or another, whether that be laughing or crying or squealing in excitement.

Anyway, I'm probably in the minority.

Karry likes this.
  11. Mr. Meh Man

Mr. Meh Man Subtly suggests yuri

Reading List:
    Link
    I just want to see the resolution and everybody's reaction. Like when Sasuke and Sakura admit to Sarada that they have only had an indirect kiss via Naruto (and yet still managed to produce her). It's so gonna be worth it when it inevitably happens, I just know it. Any week now...

12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I love drama and angst tbh, so I totally get how you feel~

... I have no clue what novels you're talking about though... >.>

Karry likes this.
  13. Karry

Karry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Muted is a heavily angst and drama BL novel so no worries if you aren't into it. Banana Fish on the other hand is a manga/anime that'll just rip your heart right out of your soul, shattering it into nothing.

14. Aisha Ann

Aisha Ann I LOVE SELFISH VILLAINESS

Reading List:
    Link
    find a asshole and duchbag rapists husband, I think you will enjoying being beaten and abused physically and emotion by him.

that kind of novel and drama is garbage and trash. I avoid it.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  15. Karry

Karry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you sure you aren't speaking for yourself?

Look, just because I like or enjoy reading some genres doesn't mean that I truly like shit like it actually happening. I hate books like fifty shades of gray, I've never read it and have been avoiding the thing (the only reason why I know it is because of my friend who fucking love it). Heck, I've been avoiding Certificate of Conformity because it has a shit story set up
    If you checked out the spoiler thread for Muted (that I actually started), you can see that my views on it aren't 100% loving of it. Based on what you're saying, you're the type of person who goes towards the more realistic route of things.

It's like watching an emotional movie, crying, getting angry, and still come out liking it. I really don't know why you suddenly got all aggressive and mean but if that's how you're going to act then fine. But at least think before you get all aggressive. I'm quite sure that you aren't completely innocent in some of the stuff you read.
    Also, you spelled 'douchebag' wrong.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Aisha Ann, kotoni and Cream like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.