Recommendations Poor Male Lead

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by PurpleBelly, May 20, 2019.

1. PurpleBelly

PurpleBelly Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking for something (novel, wattpad, manga, etc.) where the male lead is poor and/or homeless or just has a bad home life. It's typically the female mc that is the poor one who's struggling with the ml being super rich and powerful. However, I love stories where the guy is struggling through life and a nice female lead comes by and helps him out. The only thing I can think of that matches this rn is a Wattpad novel called 'A Car Ride Home' by yerd213.

I don't necessarily like it when the rules are completely reversed. By that, I don't want a rich powerful female lead, just a normal one.

2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, and to be honest with you mate and please don't take this the wrong way(I am not trying to offend you :blobsweat_2:) I don't think there are lots of novels like that, I mean, it is normal for a FL to go after a strong, healthy and wealthy ML regardless of her background, but for a rich FL to go after a poor ML, I don't think that is logically possible let alone for this FL to be rich and powerful at that, honestly speaking, an author who would write something like that, so unless he/she got an ulterior motive, if he is a man then there is something wrong going on in his life (or in his mind) to make him fantasize and write such novel and if the author is a woman then she is simply a hypocrite, because truth is, chances for people to go to an isekai or becoming immortals IRL are much higher than a rich woman going for a poor MC(even for an imaginary setting) and assuming she got pure honest intentions like seeking a happy romance with him (there is definitely something wrong with that FL to go after a poor homeless guy struggling with his life).
    That's why, I say such plot is rare.

3. Nuinui

Nuinui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, I don't know any webnovels like this... But I have read an actual published novel with this idea (plus it's got body swapping LOL)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32796810-to-have-it-all

I also know M/M (gay) published novels with the MC being poor/homeless, though not sure if you're okay with BL. (Send me a PM if you want those novels too.)

4. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hentai, lots and lots of Hentai. The rich ojou sama and the poor boy.

5. saekicchi

saekicchi (≧◡≦) ♡

Reading List:
    Link
    Our Glamorous Time
    - Not necessarily financially poor, but the male lead is a military guy suddenly forced to take over his family business. Female lead thinks she should guide this man who knows nothing about the circle, since she's quite accomplished in this area. The ML's company is actually on the verge of filing bankruptcy because the previous CEO ran off with their money after a failed investment.

6. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
    How about legendary moonlight sculpture?

ishaan and otaku31 like this.
  7. CuiFen

CuiFen Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lmao i want ML to be the suffering one instead of the MC but i think that's kinda impossible coz usually the ML's always the golden finger/thigh of the MCs, right?

Imsobored likes this.
  8. cursebreaker

cursebreaker Outer disciple of Danmei Sect

Reading List:
    Link
  9. F.ninny

F.ninny Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My Mister Ostrich

I think this fit.
    ML is outstanding but he lost his hands during his childhood.
    He struggles a lot in life. FL doesnt mind it. Both of them are so strong.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  10. pandaqueen

pandaqueen Immature Dork

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe the manga Yamada Tarou Monogatari? He is so poor, but he is also the MC... less romance more comedy... Girls will come to help him out

I think its very rare for female protag story to have this plot... I guess cos it is easy to feel like it’s charity/pity for the ML if this is the case

11. chocolatechipcookie

chocolatechipcookie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wow I honestly think that you have some fucked up thinking right there lmfao what's up with your thinking? Fr a poor person going for someone extremely richer than them sounds more bad than a rich person going for a poor one. Obviously pure love in novels is easier to cultivate with hardship. It's not really rare lmao it's everywhere, "a rich person going after a poor person" IS LITERALLY EVERYWHERE except they're not really protagonists and are just love interests. There's some but I've onlt discovered a few
    Anyways hmmmm for recommendations....I don't really know much but here:
    (note: all of these are set in non modern eras) (Most of these are female protagonists, male Protagonists are always usually richer than everyone)

*Picking Up a General to Plow the Fields
    ML is rich but goes poor because he has amnesia plus he got lost... MC picked him up and appointed him to work for her(MC is poor but she's building her wealth to get something to eat so in the 1st half ML is poorer than MC so technically it falls under the category...) haven't gone that far yet though

*The prestigious family’s young lady and the farmer
    (unfortunately there's no english translations yet for this one but this kinda sounds good but this is the author's 1st novel so this might be pretty bad, I honestly didn't like her other novels so I don't have much high hope anymore for this.... still, the title sounds cute)

*The Villainess Wants to Marry a Commoner!!
    ML is not that poor but the social standing gap is pretty wide since the ML is just a commoner, PRETTY fluffy tbh

*The Noble Girl Who Finds a Nerdy and Plain Guy Moe Thinks that the Arrogant Prince is In the Way
    THIS DEFINITELY FALL UNDER THE CATEGORY of Poor ML and Rich MC 100% (theyre both nobles but the difference in wealth is huge) This is fluffy tbh

*Our Second Master
    (The ML is previously wealthy and falls falls from grace+ he lost his legs, the MC is his maid. Technically they're both poor but the MC is the one taking care of the ML. It's pretty short so it's a quick read, I honestly have strong feelings for this one, definitely touched me so I love it)

*Liu Li loves Jun (BL)
    MC is richer than love interest,though I'm pretty sure that the MC is the top idk.

similar onez (idea of Protagonist taking care of the the ML)
    *Counterattack of the Cannon Fodder Chambermaid
    Pretty soft, both ML and MC bring each other up I assume. (I don't think this has a revenge plot at all)
    *After Exchanging Shadows (GL)
    both the top and bottom are Protagonists, so I think this still counts? Bottom isn't that poor though, it's just that she's a lesser known celebrity than the top, idk

that's all, like I said I don't know much, I'm also looking for poorer MLs. Because why not, I'm bored of the usual extremely superior love interest trope. Romance with trials really are good reads, that feeling of complete pure love...oh the bliss, I just love pure fluffy romance

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  12. the_rebel_

the_rebel_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bai Fumei in 70’s - i think this novel fits your requirements.

13. mushy

mushy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  14. ishaan

ishaan I Eat Potatoes

Reading List:
    Link
    My Cold and Elegant CEO Wife

15. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    Realistically wise, it is nearly impossible for a woman (especially if she is rich) to fall in love with a poor man, if you see something like that in novels, it is just the author being and filling the heads of readers with weird ideas, then again it is all fiction and it is not my fucked thinking but people who believe something like that is real then they are just living a big lie :blobneutral:

16. Eers

Eers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  17. chocolatechipcookie

Reading List:
    Link
    what world are you living in. "nearly impossible for a rich woman to fall in love with a poor man" literally everyone's a human, a rich man is the same as a rich woman.As if guys don't marry rich too lol, it depends on the person. Tons of people marry for love, after all, you only live once. Of course there are peopl who don't but either way is not rare at all. Marrying for love is more common though.

A wealthier woman marrying someone less wealthier is more common than you think tbh, that's some pretty weird thinking that it's not. It depends, some rich people marry richer and some marry lesser and vice versa.

Say that to the rich noblewomen of the past who eloped with their commoner lovers. Love has no bounds, it doesn't go with status, we really can't control what our heart says. Status doesn't matter anyways in this era, everyone's lives are equal no matter the status. Different livelihoods sure but we're all humans and there's no difference in death.

"if you see something like that in novels, it is just the author being and filling the heads of readers with weird ideas, then again it is all fiction and it is not my fucked thinking but people who believe something like that is real then they are just living a big lie" LITERALLY THE TROPE CEO LOVE INTEREST IS THE HUGEST FICTION EVER. I can't see how a female ceo is weird ...."weird ideas"no, it's not atrocious. Fr, Richer female x less richer guys are easily found in novels/media with male Protagonists.
    What I can't find is novels with richer Protagonists that ctually match my preference.

Anyways, there's nothing strange at all with a richer female. I'm coming off too strong so I'm really sorry, I hope you understand though ;( Have a great day!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  18. chocolatechipcookie

Reading List:
    Link
    are we sure that he's the ML?
    What if the love interest is the original Protagonist (✽ ゚д゚ ✽)??

19. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    You sound like a little girl who is living in a dream more like it, rather, than coming off too strong, it is funny and almost hilarious, which makes me wonder if you are aware of the world or not :hmm: but yes sure believe what you want, I don't want to break your bubble :blobxd:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2020
  20. mushy

mushy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea I'm pretty sure that he is.
    Read it somewhere that they got married

chocolatechipcookie likes this.