Why Are Isekai Novels So Popular

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Wujigege, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I wondered this lately due to responses on my recent thread "Japan Its Not Funny Anymore"
    I was trying to talk discuss the quality of anime, whether it has improved the past decade but it got a little political.
    Since they derailed my thread, I am getting revenge with this one.
    Why so many Isekai novels? There is the obvious an isekai novel was popular so everyone is emulating it but meeh that it s a boring answer
    [​IMG]

Isekai novels are popular because the Japanese want to escape Japanese society. Japan is not the paradise it is cracked up to be

Kuro_0ni, Paps, Wick and 2 others like this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wish-fulfilment, escapism, etc.

And it's not just Japan, it's RL as a whole (for most people) which is far from ideal. Tho, admittedly, the rigid Japanese etiquette, rigourous work-culture and self-disciple bordering on OCD makes it worse than most. At least, that's what I hv heard.

Gin_Hindew, asriu, Kuro_0ni and 14 others like this.
  3. Dewa

Dewa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A way of injecting real world logic in to fiction for the audience to relate to the feelings and situations.

Gin_Hindew, 0000000, Jiggy and 5 others like this.
  4. Catfish

Catfish Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because weebs like me want to escape from reality. What better way to do that than going to another world

5. onnyfp

onnyfp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you refer isekai as "transported to an rpg world", it's just a trend.
    People have been writing about fantasy worlds for decades. Also there's already a lot of story about transported to foreign world. From Alice in wonderland, to Digimon, to Inuyasha.

Hanten, Gin_Hindew, asriu and 5 others like this.
  6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    The point of this thread is to piss off Japan lovers
    Why get all intellectual?
    Common sense is not welcome. Go away
    [​IMG]

Hanten likes this.
  7. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    For JP: Isekai cause escapism
    For CN: Xianxia cause tradition
    For KR: Gaming cause.....gaming.

Hanten, Gin_Hindew, Kawalan and 12 others like this.
  8. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's also easier to have starting point/how to introduce the world to the readers. Like the common sense of that world etc.

Wujigege likes this.
  9. Devil Heart

Devil Heart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's fun

Wujigege likes this.
  10. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    How can they escape japanese society when 99.9% of all isekai novels have japanese culture and society in them.
    Couse the MC or other reincarnators/transmigrators/summon's have introduced their culture and it takes the world with storm.

It's more that they are sick of a monotone life, a life of working 12+ hours a day 7 days a week with 2+ hours of travel every day. So it's escape from a boring never ending cykle of japanese work culture.
    That is also why the beta MC is so popular in japanese isekai. An MC so strong he can do anything he wants, but all he do is make a harem and eat, maybe also going for a trip to see the world.

Gin_Hindew likes this.
  11. nightcore34

nightcore34 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think its easier to write from the authors perspective. A whole new world, new rules, places and way of living would be so much more imaginative. From this, it is popular precisely because it is not real life.

While it might be fun to read about modern day people sometimes, things like powers and new worlds are just really entertaining, when you read the adventures of these otherworlders it can help you forget about the dullness of life.

12. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    I just like the fantasy genre in general:cookie:

13. Elzio

Elzio Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The first we have a harem ecchi life in magic academy and right now isekai... nowdays trend possibly

14. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Brief me how a discussion about anime production quality in Japan started a political discussion?
    I'm more curious why and how Japan seems to know a lot of non-Japanese mythology, and their products practically becoming a trend towards fantasy as a genre in a whole. You see, it was westerners that had the lead over myths (magical systems), but now it seems easterners are able to apply multiple myths (magical systems), with a touch of different countries' cultural belief being used as elements as a whole in the isekai genre, and many more involving fantasy (supernatural).

15. Lswarmruler

Lswarmruler 『Anya, The Cutest Esper Loli』《Spy x Family Manga》

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, are u asking or explaining... Well not only japan, but there are many korean n chinese isekai novels, and some of them are pretty good too...

16. Ketheres

Ketheres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is a very handy premise to make a fantasy story that the reader can self-insert to, and allows you to make the MC show off with their modern day knowledge. That way you can write stuff like "potuto, a plant similar to potato", "oh shit nigga its white rice oh man I can now eat this Asian staple food even in other world despite people using it as animal feed instead of real food", or "we love this flushable modern day toilet with enema functions that you made for us, Akira-kun". Yeah, about the last one... why are modern day toilets so important to Japanese? A lot of the novels mention it, and in some cases it's even important to the fucking plot (looking at you, Lute).

Gin_Hindew and kenar like this.
  17. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    I blame Fate

18. Master

Master [Old Pervert] [Grandmaster]

Reading List:
    Link
    Harems in the 21st century? :aww:

19. The loner

The loner Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Me too..

I just wondering why Op use this particular topic to insult other culture.. why the hate? It's not like there's a perfect culture out there.. the fanatics also not limited to Japanese culture, as Korean and American also overflows with it.. :blobspy::blobpoliceangry:

20. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It is high level crypted message telling us that we are failures and that we need to go get lives.
    And in order to do that we need to die and go to another world and become legends so other people can write about us too so they can tell more people that they are failures.
    Oh yeah, truck got a magical power to send you to another world, so just get hit by one to make the dream come true.

rosie94hrpr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.