Why Are Isekai Novels So Popular

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Wujigege, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's kinda funny (to me), that I'm learning multiple countries myths and legends, traditions and culture from Japan, which has the least connection to those different faiths.

I see more foreign myths than native myths in manga, novels (visual, web, and light), and games (video, card).

Wujigege likes this.
  2. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When you say "lately", how far back are you going? The first Isekai novel I remember reading is the Chronicles of Narnia and THAT was written in the 1950s. lol.

Isekai: "We were always here lurking in the dark corners of your library where you were not looking. Today, we take over the world!!!Bwahahahaha!!!"

:p

Wujigege, Bym, kenar and 1 other person like this.
  3. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    I, for one, want to marry my game character so Isekai sounds like a tasty dream.

4. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    I like it when the mc reincarnated into a monster.

5. Makurasame

Makurasame Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    BECAUSE REALITY SUCKS

sgrey, Wujigege, kenar and 1 other person like this.
  6. Cnine

Cnine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isekai should be what you call as Fantasy right? Are you still asking why that genre so popular when it's basically Japanese version of Lord of The Ring, Harry Potter, The Hobbit, Inheritance Cycle, Tales of Earthsea, Narnia, Percy Jackson, Twilight Saga etcetcetc.

7. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    Because I like Lord of the Rings, Warcraft, Warhammer and having no broken super powers other than being from Earth where my knowledge is actually not worthless.

kenar likes this.
  8. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you, especially with the culture thing, but then it makes you question why seemingly every isekai world seems to be indoctrinated into said culture.

Kuro_0ni and otaku31 like this.
  9. Random.poet

Random.poet Powered by Coffee

Reading List:
    Link
    Because new world new laws... bend it at will... the only thing keeping isekai writers from going all psyco world is how they want to be preceved by readers.

Oh and i agree.. reality sucks.

Wujigege likes this.
  10. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohh, we can't forget that there is no one that have never dreamed of being able to use magic or cuting down a mountian with a single sword slash.

Wujigege likes this.
  11. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    in my Opinion...
    because it is easy...

other than Escapism, you can literally make a god character and let IT give MC cheat to your liking.
    No need for deliberate setup such as tragedy/accident/lucky encounter
    just go straight to the story just like their synopsis(aka title) tell you

12. Kex

Kex 『Status: Dead』『Ko Boyfriend』

Reading List:
    Link
    "Isekai novels are popular because the Japanese want to escape Japanese society. Japan is not the paradise it is cracked up to be"

And you say you don't want to get political.....
    I am not a writer, but i think it is just easier to write about a whole new world where you can create your own rules and laws, i imagine that's why the fantasy genre is so popular.
    I believe they use a Japanese person being reincarnated or transported because it's easier to relate to the MC like that

now i may be completely wrong on this part but i think that in the game Dragon Quest, the hero was a Japanese person that got summoned to defeat a demon lord and that was the "start" of the trend, i am probably pulling this out of my ass tho

Wujigege likes this.
  13. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    I am more interested in the previous thread that you got creamed, but not that interested to do the google search myself.

Speaking of Isekai shit, I myself am finally trying to write a novel based solely of my pink imagination. And it is Isekai because I cannot do all the illegal shits I am about to pull without getting 5* from the cops. And no, I am not pulling saimin (hypnosis for non-weebs, hard to find here) into the mix.

Quotes from the Mad Titan himself,
    "Reality is often disappointing."
    And with isekai,
    "Reality can be whatever I want it to be."

EZ

Haiz, found it. https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/japan-its-not-funny-anymore.86633/

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Wujigege likes this.
  14. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well...simple question, really, are there anyone out there who don't want a 2nd chance w/ extra goodies?
    'side, currently w/ 'isekai' being a fad over there, new writers would just simply 'ride the waves' to gain popularity for their works
    And here I thought it was currently started by either Log Horizon or GATE...

15. hanglekuk

hanglekuk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's because people are milking their investment (at least my impression was that usually most of the isekai novels are about someone going into known novel/anime/whatever world) . So the people already know the part of world building. It is much easier/ less much effort required to get up-to-speed. So why invest into learning something new, stick to the known, it's easier.

One of the reasons people are picking up sequels of books - they are already invested into series. Just another kind.

Anyway, my understanding is that a lot of those stories is for relaxation. something strange, something common/known apparently works very well. Not sure why all the hate.

Wujigege likes this.
  16. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure CN is what it is because they hellish like to plagerise the fuck out of everything, cuz for everything JP and KR had, CN is having dips in them as well.

Chrono Vlad likes this.
  17. vlue

vlue Jaded Isekai-Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, seems like Isekai main demographic is the japanese otaku-gamers.

I'm not really against escapism, but ummm... tbh it gets tiring reading in the perspective of a protagonist meant to represent the isekai's target audience.. with similar personality from the other isekai novels, similar cast of harems, worshipful friends or love interest, incompetent companions so the protagonist can get more spotlight.

Wujigege likes this.
  18. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    I had no idea myself why isekai genre was so popular, as fan of realistic/no magic novel it make me hard to find novel with fits my preference.
    Mostly realistic/no magic novel was some little rabbit that getting chased by big boss wolf that was so perfect in everything (power, wealth etc) which make me want to punch them.

Wujigege likes this.
  19. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, that's Modern Xianxia. I like how they regressed to plagiarize in Modern time, but have more creative contents, even if they are repetitive, in Ancient China-like world setting.

Wujigege likes this.
  20. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    The only person I'm seeing pissed off in this thread is you.

Previous thread got derailed? how about contacting a moderator for some help? They do exist for a reason.

Pissing innocent & uninvolved people off because it didn't go as you like is quite childish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.