Spoiler Let's Discuss The Ending Of Shield Hero's WN & Speculate About LN's Ending

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Eishun, May 23, 2019.

?

Did you like the ending of the web novel?

1. Yes, it was a happy ending!

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No, it was a stupid ending!

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I have just read the last chapters of the web novel version of Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari (or Rise of the Shield Hero).

And so, in the spirit of sharing, let those of you who have also read the ending join in our discussion. And maybe make speculations about how the ending of the Light Novel version would differ from the Web Novel's version.

For starters, I want to see if everyone else is interpreting the ending like I did. Based on what I understand, Naofumi split himself into fragments and sent them into different worlds. Each fragment is simply a copy of himself with the same personality and memory. And so he could have the best of all worlds. He sent a copy into modern Japan and enjoyed a modern romcom with Raphtalia while another copy of himself stayed in the fantasy world and continued the main story.

While the main Naofumi with the godly powers traveled around the galaxy to fight evil gods.

And when he went back to the fantasy world for a visit, the copy he left behind simply assimilated with the main body. Even though the copy he had left behind was long dead by the time he returned.

So likewise, he could also return to Japan and gain the memories of the copy he had left there?

So as far as I could see, only Raph-chan and Firo and the Dragon Emperor were immortals. The rest of the gang (i.e. The other 3 heroes, Melty and Kiel and Fohl etc) have already died while God Naofumi was playing Guardians of the Galaxy with Raphtalia.

So that's the web novel version, right?

How would the LN version be different? My theory is that the author will make it an even happier ending for Naofumi and Gang. Probably he and the other heroes will get the power to travel between the fantasy world and their Japans as much as they like. And maybe the whole gang would become immortal and do the whole Guardians of the Galaxy thing together.

Share your thoughts.

2. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm still holding my opinion that ending could have been better. though I don't have a good suggestion if asked. It's just that the plot seems forced to me.

thepope and Sabruness like this.
  3. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I kinda agree with you. I don't really like the best-of-all-worlds thing the author had going. I was thinking to myself that Naofumi should just make one choice. And after he split himself, each Naofumi kinda lost his individual uniqueness. I mean which one is the real Naofumi?

I just thought that perhaps it would have been better if there's only one Naofumi. Maybe he could return to Japan and put his affairs in order and then move back to fantasy world to have his happy ending. And then he could still do his Godslayer business while maintaining his everyday life in fantasy world.

Kinda like how the superheroes in American comics do things.

JimmyFalcon likes this.
  4. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think like that, he ascended to godhood and medea also did something similar through the story he was only doing it with a different purpouse in the end its still him but all of them are still unique in their own ways, its complicated but i like it, its like he alllowing himself of another possibilities rather than chaining himself to a single place, it was a bit different but not out place for what he could do i mean since he could do it why would he not do it in the first place?

Also i cant say anything about the LN sadly since i have no way to read up to the lastest LN released so i cant really say something about how it might end

5. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No worries there. The LN is still far from the end. And we are just making speculations anyway. Feel free to let your imagination run wild.

6. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If i may i'm actually kinda hoping the author make the WN be canon to LN knowing the several worlds, time travel even a multiverse might as well be able to somehow do it, i find kinda sad letting the WN be turned completely into non-canon when there is space to actually make it somehow canon

7. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the time travel bit will be included in the canon LN. After all, they have already started serialization of the Spear Hero side story. That's time travel. And the multiverse bit is already in. The Waves are about worlds colliding so I don't think the author will change that bit.

8. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The ending kinda was in the spirit of the novel, but it could be better. For one, if I remember correctly, in the ending turns out the story we read was a recollection of his adventure by people of the fantasy world and apparently did not happen this way, according to him anyways. And I don't think I particularly like him turning immortal and go universe traveling and killing evil aliens. Kinda feels like there was no ending. Or "they had a much better adventure after the end of the story, but you will never know" kinda feel. Well, at least Filo ended up happy

Marton cross likes this.
  9. vlue

vlue Jaded Isekai-Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Latest LN volume still isn't translated and hasn't ended yet. Though from what i heard who read ahead, The Goddess thing won't ever become a thing.

10. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there's a misunderstanding there.

The ending did mention that the collection of stories written by residents of the fantasy world were inaccurate in some areas, and Naofumi complained about how the writers made out that Firo and Raph-chan didn't actually exist.

And so that means that the story we have been reading so far is the real deal. After all, Firo and Raph-chan exist in our version. :)

I feel kinda sorry for Firo though. She was left alone for quite some time even though she's one of the original members of Team Naofumi. But at least there was Raph-chan.

11. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is time travel, from some spoilers i saw the lastest novels Naofumi meet the hero of hammer, the shield hero that raised fitoria(at least i think its him) and the hero of hammer looks so much like raphatlia

it does feel a ending, in a way of ending the story of naofumi going against the waves and defeating the main reason he was summoned in the other world, the ending that he went to another worlds for new adventures just made me feel like if the authoi actually wanted he/she could very well do more works in the same multiverse and making the setup bigger, kinda wished it would be this way but i guess its just a dream

What you heard that make you think this way? I know that malty was killed in volume 19 but that shouldnt be a reason that something like medea would not show up but well its just spoilers need more context and stuff

just based on what i heard of spoilers form last volumes i'm not sure what the author its trying to get with the story i mean its hard to imagine what he/she wants to make for the setup of the ending

12. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Could be, I read at least 5 years ago, so I don't remember all the detail. I just remember the disappointment. Not only he left for 100 years, he was planning to leave Filo and Raph-chan again. Well, and evil aliens, they also were disappointing

Eishun likes this.
  13. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To me, an ending must entail conclusion. As in there need to be a logical end that ties things up. I don't even mind if the MC dies, as that is also an end. Now that I think about it, I had a few major complaints about the novel:
    1) An evil lying bitch right at the beginning of the novel turned out to be a god-class world-destroying evil alien and the main villian. I mean come on, can't you make something better? I guess it's bit better than her be a new god-class world-destroying evil alien which randomly popped up while screaming "I will destroy your world, muahahah". In addition, she got somehow resurrected, which was the only example of resurrection we saw in the novel.
    2) After they lost their power, the way they powered up didn't make any sense at all. Even before they got transported back to Earth. Like suddenly Naofumy became so OP, even stronger than before, and for no reason, other then "I am all spirited up now"
    3) They defeated the current local evil alien, but a) the story of Glass was just miserable and went nowhere. b) There is a whole race of same god-level evil aliens that they went ahead to fight. Feels like an anime that was canceled right after they defeated a mid-level boss and were supposed to fight the main villain, which we know must have happened, but never got to see.

Beingnolifehere and Marton cross like this.
  14. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't remind the gods where evil tho? I remember they could be evil but not all of them were like that but i dont really remember if it was like that i mean ark was still a thing but i think he couldnt really deal with other gods becaues they would feel when he was close and go to some other place i guess

Also power ups that doesnt make sense happens a lot....really a lot

But by no means it was a perfect ending, i'm just saying that as a whole it can yes be considered a ending but i can understand the feeling you're having, particulary i would like if LN ending would end with some tropes form that ending like godhood,multiple wifes,etc but surely closing more open stuff that happens in the story

15. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, he left to battle all the evil aliens and it appears to be a pretty much never-ending thing, so supposedly there is at the very least a lot of them who are evil. As for the power ups, indeed they happen a lot, but in this novel, it was one of the worst cases. Even tripping over a magical rock that suddenly gives you a power up would be better as it will at least be a reason. Where in this novel it just happened out of the blue and without external factors. He just felt more powerful, therefore he became. And right before that that mini boss wipe the floor with them. And suddenly all lvl 300 people couldn't do anything anymore...
    I mean, yea, it was an ending, I just have mixed feelings about it. It's still better than many other endings I've seen. I don't think I even care much about him being split, but more about the fact they are going to spend eternity fighting non-stop with the evil aliens.

Oh, and the fact that the main villain of the story is an alien also was bad... like you read a fantasy novel, and then, bam, aliens are attacking.

Marton cross likes this.
  16. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    cough, demihuman is alien.

17. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    although technically that's true, it's been a long time since they were "aliens" and can be considered residents of this world. And well, they are not really attacking anyone. Plus the revelation of them being aliens came at the same time as evil aliens were revealed, so it doesn't even matter in any way for the plot because there wasn't anything done with that information.