How did isekai became so big

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by MarxDarkBear, May 23, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarxDarkBear

MarxDarkBear The Great Man

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't get it. I really don't get it. Off all the anime trends that have ever existed, isekai is, in my opinion, the worst. I don't want to make this into a generic rant, cause how I am the type of guy that can accept that someone has different taste than I do, but I just don't get isekai's and I absolutely hate the genre.
    The reason I hate this genre so much is because I think the genre has so much potential yet it is absolutely fucking wasted. A person transporting to another world is an interesting concept. The amount of ideas you can come up with to write the story should be limitless. It should be actually fucking impossible to write the same story. Yet that just magically happens with isekai novels. They are all the fucking same. No matter what isekai I take, by just reading the synopsis and the first 10 chapters I can already guess how the story will progress. Why, because it has been done before. A thousand times before.

A useless piece of shit that has no friends or family or can even socialize gets in a car accident and dies. He of all people gets either chosen by a goddess to save another world from a huge threat, or is the only lucky person to reincarnate into a different world. Yes because the person that has no social, combat, strategy or any skill whatsoever, that used to live the most boring life in existence is the right person to save a different world from destruction. And if it is a group summon why the hell would you use highschool children. Yes sure let me choose some teenagers with nothing but sex, partying and social circles on their mind that still have no fucking idea of what they want to do in the future as the heroes needed to save the world. With a goddess that makes such retarded decisions no fucking wonder their world is on the point of eternal destruction and they can't do shit about it. And even then it is always the loner, bullied or outcast that becomes the main character. If it was the popular kid I would understand. They understand how the world works, through money and power. They know what to say and do to make people fear, like, respect and follow them. Not to be a dick or anything but I doubt that a kid that used to get pushed around or outcasted will make a good leader.

So if the summoning, reincarnation or whatever is finished there is always just one thing the main character will do after entering a new world. join a fucking adventures guild. It is always adventures guild this, adventures guild that. Name me 5 fucking isekai novels where the mc doesn't join a fucking adventures guild. I bet you fucking can't. Even though an adventures guild in every novel lacks originality, I wouldn't have complained if the authors could do something interesting with it. But no every adventures guild has a cute female receptionist, looks absolute generic with random thugs A and B sitting there waiting for the mc to come and to show off his powers, with a friendly guildmaster A that wants to become friends with the mc of all people even though he has stronger and more famous people working under him. Even the first monsters that threaten the peace and that need to be defeated lack originality. It is always either goblins, horned rabbits or ogres. On the small chance, the mc doesn't apply to an adventures guild he will 100% join an academy.

And after applying for the adventures guild it is finally time for the mc to change his ways and not live the same boring life where they don't do anything. But does their life really change? With all the cheats and op powers they have, they still don't do a damn thing. How the hell do you with all that power and places just waiting to be explored still decide to live the same boring life you used to have. The only thing now is that they are not as stressed as they used to be while working or going to school. Now they don't need to work, because everything just magically falls out of the sky and lands right on their lap.

And my god the last and worst of all, their fucking slave harems. Cause it wouldn't be a fucking isekai if one of the mc harem members isn't a slave that has the most tragic background story of all time and only the mc of all people treated her as an actual decent human being. And if she finally gets the chance to not be a slave anymore and to get away from the terrible life she used to live, shey says fuck it and decide to keep being the mc's slave. bonus points if she is a beastkin cause why the fuck not.

After adding all those things together congratulations, you have the most generic isekai story plot ever. Now only thing you need to do is to give it a long retarded name. And if you want to show your viewers that the mc will be different from the typical beta mc's, add harem in the title to let your viewers know that the mc is a guy that thinks with his dick and will have sex with his harem members.

Even though I tried hard to not turn this into a rant, I really am confused. Like I already said I am not normally the type of guy to hate on what other people like, but now almost all the anime that come out each season are really bad aside from 1 or 2. and 80% of the mangas that are highly rated on almost all manga sites are isekai's. The genre has so much potential but it been butchered so much with hardly any logic, interesting story telling or even originality, yet it still is so fucking popular. And I really don't get it.

joey183, Saikyi, whitespade and 28 others like this.
  2. Gilgamesh223

Gilgamesh223 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand your frustration better than you can imagine. I have been looking for something that falls outside of this standard template for a couple of years now and it just isn't doable. 99,99% of all stories that involve different worlds end up that way and it does get to you eventually. The first 5 or 6 stories were interesting but now I just read them hoping to find that one hidden gem. Haven't found it yet.

3. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly!

This extends to transmigration novels and the likes as well. There's a few that do it well, but I often wonder just what the point of the reincarnation was exactly.

And I really want to use a few cute blobs, so here we go: :blobnobully: :blobcurse: :blob_patpat: :blobtaco:

4. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like this desu:
    Screenshot_20190524_070003.png

5. TheLadyWhoLikesBoyLove

TheLadyWhoLikesBoyLove Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is also my frustration. I have many friends who likes isekai and I'm like deep inside 'TV, what's so good about that setting cuz it's been done thousand times' at first it was good, but then like this makes no sense, it's like different shits has been collected and turned into an anime lol. This is why I turned from shoujo loving to horror/psychological

6. Marton cross

Marton cross Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it became popular due to the fact that it’s similar to Jrpg games.

Adieu, firefox1234 and Vudoodude like this.
  7. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright calm down now Mr Essay.

You should be an isekai author instead.

joey183, Glevauve, Adieu and 2 others like this.
  8. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Cause they're cheaps. Fictional world get less and less detail and logic not to mention realism these days and their readers stop minding them as well. Isekai just their new low.

Illisaide and Gin_Hindew like this.
  9. Patek

Patek Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. U ruined isekai for me ...
    2. Well imo isekai is like a secondchance that one never will have and jet yearns for cus their life sucks or so, i mean im addictes to isekai to because my life is shit, and isekai is kind of the dreamlife u know what i mean ? Maybe u had a great childhood or a good family or ur succesfull in life i dont know. From my view isekai is a bit similar for me what drugs are for some others, i can just shut down my braind, imagine that generic mc could be me and have a bit of good time before rl punches me in the face .... this turned a bit into a rant sry

10. HesheFell

HesheFell [Out of Retirement] [Looking for Recs Everywhere]

Reading List:
    Link
    And why I turned from shounen loving to bl loving

As for the subject itself, web novels have always been half @ssed, no matter the country. There's just the hope of gem out there within the trash. As for the anime aspect, if you understand the state of anime in Japan right now, half your question is answered. Combine them both, and we have this thread.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  11. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    With the help of Syosetu mostly. It is nothing new, typically they get transported because of some other way like a magic mirror, or magic book, but these trucks keep coming out of no where. Isekai has existed since the dawn of novels in general. All novels are basically isekai in a way. What I am more interested in is, novels that are fantasy world, but no relation to earth.

Refulgent and Gin_Hindew like this.
  12. mechamecha

mechamecha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually like the Isekai genre but I can still 100% agree with your rant
    There’s different types of Isekai mangas/novels that I read but I can not count how many “guy comes pick a fight with newbie and weak MC after he joins adventure guild and MC absolutely beats the shit out of said guy” situations I’ve come across
    (I wrote a lot more but decided to delete it cause I was starting to rant and not make any sense-)

Illisaide and Bright_Lucky_Star like this.
  13. Mazino

Mazino The final chapter.

Reading List:
    Link
    so that is way to big to read sorry, but its actually really simple, outside of the wish fulfillment thing and the dead and despairing culture of the japanese society at least in terms of work, its the template. It is so fucking easy to make an isekai story that any neet can just beep boop cheat isekai mc harem shit and boom book deal. Add a nice flavor to make it different then never bother with it again and follow the formula of slice of life antics and passive bitch mc farming or going dungeon and getting 998393 skills from living.

14. LeakLeaf

LeakLeaf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Escapism my dude

Illisaide, Risus, Skaistise and 5 others like this.
  15. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    generally, people who write the stories like OP mc and harem

16. Aop

Aop [Great Destroyer of Filth] [Dao of Cleanliness]

Reading List:
    Link
    This... is pretty much true of every genre that ever exists. Like how every romcom movie is the same plot. Every hallmark Christmas movie is the same plot. Every cultivation novel is the same plot. This isn't exclusive to isekai novels. There is a saying that there is no new ideas, only new variations of it.

You just happen to see it because this site is basically a filter of what various translators are interested in, and a lot of them likes this isekai or that isekai. If you want a better isekai novel, write your own instead of bitching about it.

...That said, I do agree about the slave harem thing. Such a cop out and flimsy way of showing affection for the mc despite there being no good reason for said affection.

Yuli Ban, Risus, kyoshijiro and 11 others like this.
  17. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) second chance for losers who fucked up their lives, appeals to high school kids who like to read and realize they won’t be popular

2) wish fullfillment to the 1000 power, appeals to lots of people who don’t feel they have power

3) the fact that they are similar is a selling point not a bad thing for the readers, like romances. People mostly want more of the same thing with just a bit of variation, same superhero movies(Marvel universe), zombie movies etc.

Almost everyone you know likely wants more of the same thing, like more shooter games, more comedy shows etc because they want to repeat the feels they had the first time again and again.

18. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    nice wall of text. won't bother to read it and just answer based on the thread title.

because it sells, you like it, or you hate it, simple as that.

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  19. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Life regrets and the desire to escape into a better world

extremely common in most people

20. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the isekai you describe is the trash that gets famoys because of wish fulfillment to apeal to depressed Japanese people(Jesus fucking christ there are all of suicides happening right there with shitty work conditions)
    There are alot of good gems too but it gets buried in the general trash that gets famous. They think of one "original" idea and milk it dry until they think "oh shit my stupid unique trait is milked dry. Guess I'll look at the cliche list to milk it more till the cow dies."
    Athough the vending machine and sword one was genuinely good compared to the trash with their unique traits because it doesn't devolve into a generic trash. And one author tried to ripoff that idea lol and turned it into trash(looking at you turned into a magical cane)
    Heck, 99% of these trash is highly likely to be a poor trashy ripoffs of mushoku tensei and other good isekais.
    If it is OP from the start and is focused on slice of life it is highly likely to be trash(not all of them though since there are good ones)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.