Why is there not more interest in AR glasses?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by UnGrave, May 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm slightly confused. I know there was the whole issue that came about when google glass was in its infancy where people would assault wearers for having cameras on their faces, but I was under the impression that there was a lot of hype for that kind of device. Now, after a couple of years, the market is still almost entirely bare of any personal HUD's I could wear on my face even though the technology has been explored fairly extensively. Was there some kind of issue with the earlier models that I wasn't aware of? Does the mainstream market dislike the idea of having a screen on your face? Honestly, I just was a few bits of information to be visible at all times, and perhaps a book, so why does no one else seem to be interested?

Ruyue likes this.
  2. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It cost too much.

3. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    People can't even use phones without walking into traffic, I can only image AR glasses leading to the extinction of humanity as a whole.

Reak, Geor, Chiiiiiiiii and 1 other person like this.
  4. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    no. the tech just doesn't qualify as AR to be marketable as AR. since it's not interactive at all

5. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also most people don't like glasses.

6. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    Cost is one big issue, another would be practicality. AR is good for handheld devices or HMDs, not so much for eye-wears. So basically limited outdoor usage.

7. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure how swapping the act of looking down with looking forwards would increase incident rates, but sure.

8. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Not having delved into the topic too deeply this is what I heard. Could be old news but meh.

That the technology though realized now is not at a level yet which most people would find it a genuine aid to daily activities. It is seemingly only a curiosity for a niche market.
    This was a while ago and I dont know how far it has come.
    As an aside I feel that to get the full use or value of augmented reality you need the infrastructure for it. Such as places/stores and whatnot that have features that work with augmented reality and I dont see something like that happening yet.
    For instance go into a supermarket and look at an item, all relevant information on it then is shown in your vision. Health facts, ingredients, expiry... etc...
    I dont see that level of things happening for quite awhile yet.

Like none of us want augmented reality advertisement but if you look at a store front you won't get an augmented view of it trying to attract your attention. We aren't at that stage yet and personally that is the sort of things I would look for before I ever bought into it.

9. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Very expensive for what they can do.
    What they can do is very little, it's like a teaser of the technology people were expecting.
    People who already wear glasses can't use the "AR" glasses.
    They look stupid and very conspicuous.
    Very little marketing, they barely even tried to appeal to people.
    Everyone knows that if the technology does take off, you'll be able to get something 100x better for 10% of the price in a few years.

So you're really just left with the hardcore fans who are rich, don't wear glasses, don't mind drawing attention to themselves, and don't particularly care about what the glasses actually do. That's not a big market.

Nom de Plume and AliceShiki like this.
  10. Faye

Faye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are a few issue with the growth of AR
    1. software, most developer make their own software to engage the AR which makes thing seems bloated
    2. the appliance surface of AR [to make an AR out of an object, it still requires something near a fist size to put marker on [so it's still not feasible for most objects]

we need to wait until it grows some more
    at least until somebody makes a breakthrough and able to compile those codes onto one unified software and library without risking a leakage of script and whatsoever

we're still not there yet, not until maybe apple manage to do the unification

UnGrave likes this.
  11. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't forget people with really bad money management skills.
    I'm pretty sure the android sdk has had development for glass on it for quite some time, and as long as it runs an Android kernel (as most do) it's not too hard to develop for.

12. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    Good thing i can't use my desktop while walking. . . .

13. JoshuaFord

JoshuaFord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The current market for AR would be in a work environment for 3d modeling as far as im aware, so any development in the area are not really gonna be towards the preferances of the consumer market. As a result of that plus the large development of VR in the consumer market for games means that the hype shifted over to VR. Thats my personal take anyways.

14. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    Looking down is generally safe because everywhere you can walk with traffic has some sort of change on the ground indicating where cars and cyclists are which makes anyone with half a brain look up and check traffic. This is unlikely to have anything with AR to do tho, I assume the argument for why AR is less safe is because it’s not instinct to say a voice command or press a button when you suddenly hear or see something dangerous and other people can easier see that you’re not paying attention when you’re looking down at something in your hand compared to walking around with a pair of glasses on.

15. Faye

Faye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's like ROMS/OS
    they make their own AR software like their own ROMS which makes it bloated

imagine you have to install 4 differents apk to watch 4 ARs
    what we need is a unified software that have access to all the ARs without risking the leak of script etc etc
    we want an "OS" that can play all those "AR" in one device

and we still haven't put a step on the "PLAY" part
    it's still just an object to see and move via digital input, no air gesture yet

16. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I just... Honestly never cared for them? I mean... What could I possibly get out of AR glasses?

They just seem like pointless flavor, so I never even looked them up, I just know they exist and I assume they're expensive.

17. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Ar was a thing for a while, even google gave it a,try with their google glasses but due to reasons others said and more AR flopped. Nowadays much of the focus has been shifted from AR to VR due to having much more short term potential and due to its current popularity

18. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are at least a handful of companies that make AR equipment. The only hitch is nearly 0 of that equipment is aimed at the consumer sector. It's almost all for commercial or industrial applications. The issues that exist today are the same ones that have existed all along. The device is bulkier and heavier than a regular pair of glasses. Battery life isn't great. Field of view is limited.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  19. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Battery life. The whole outcry about google glass recording was total nonsense of overeaction by those anti-google. No one who used glass used it to record video, cause your device would die soon after.

The problem with AR is that you need it:
    1) To be stylish
    2) Have the processing power
    3) Last long enough
    4) cost

And all those 4 points contradict each other.

Of course as mentioned, AR like google glass are still used a lot n the enterprise.

20. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In computing, there was a time before general computers were a mainstay in the public. Same with smartphones. Windows Phones existed for a while before Apple came along and made smartphones usable enough for the average consumer to want one. I'd argue that smartwatches still haven't reached a point where they're useful to most people.

AR glasses aren't redundant. The technology just isn't mature enough for them to be a useful tool for the average person. AR is used to great effect in fields like medicine and design.

Here's a recent story about a 16-year-old developing an AR solution for spinal surgery: https://www.cpr.org/news/story/revolutionizing-spine-surgery-at-age-16-to-the-tune-of-hips-dont-lie