Discussion “Overlord” Light Novel Author Expresses Thoughts on Fan Translation

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by pr337k4m4197, May 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pr337k4m4197

pr337k4m4197 ✪ KILLER SMILE!!!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    strayCat0, UnknownSaint171 and Miku like this.
  2. SquirFail

SquirFail The One Who Forgets, Dreamer, Observer

Reading List:
    Link
    idk if its asshole move or concerned legal fan move?

3. vasiliassy

vasiliassy Lol hehe

Reading List:
    Link
    Sensei... even your fans in first read a illegal translate, because we didn't know we still buy your legal translated novel in the end! And buy the figurin! That person is make sensei misunderstood :mad:

4. roata11

roata11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't care, never like overlord anyway.

but i wonder is he/she regret saying that

strayCat0 and otaku31 like this.
  5. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I was going to make a Forum Post about this as well.
    I was deeply hurt as a Fan.. it’s because of these fan-translations that I discovered Overlord before it even became famous..!

The comments could possibly be right about the Author using it as a scapegoat/excuse but who knows? Honestly I don’t want it to end at the 17th and it seems really harsh! Normally Authors wouldn’t react this far and he’s the first one who’ve I’ve seen who has... I hope he can explain about this again. It seems he’s been too highly overwork lately

P.S I’m sure most of us have bought the paperback/hardbook copy of Overlord to show our support. We love Overlord that much. If it weren’t for the translations we’d have to wait years for it to come out! It’s all thanks to the translators dedication we made it this far..

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    strayCat0, Reak, srrrahim and 2 others like this.
  6. natsume142

natsume142 だが、断る

Reading List:
    Link
    I like Overlord but his move to end it like that kinda... well the "fan" that told him like that is a dick

strayCat0 likes this.
  7. Kronos

Kronos Mum's SwagYeti

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally bought all the translated hardbacks for overlord. Volume 10 is releasing next week for me.

8. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well shit.

Intentional or not, tweeter just hammered the nail to Overlord's coffin as a series. Off the record, fan translation had already stopped a long time ago, yet this tweeter acted as if it's brand new and ongoing.

strayCat0 likes this.
  9. Taurus3301

Taurus3301 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a huge fan of overlord, I feel very conflicted, as I'd love to support the author and he's completely within his rights to be offended by unsanctioned translations of his work but also that I, and many others, became fans of overlord long before any of the official English translations came out due to these fan tls.

10. Taurus3301

Taurus3301 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty sure it's still ongoing, what the tweeter reported was a fan translation of a short story that was only released in the last few months (I'm not sure when exactly, but I know that the translations have been going up to two weeks ago) and that the story was supposed to be some sort of exclusive.
    Then there's also the novel translations, NU has a link to fan TLs of all the way up to the most recently released novel.

11. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, me only watched the anime, me really don't care much about it. :cookie:

12. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last update I saw was volume 13, may last year. But that is only source I know. Might be others around.

Taurus3301 likes this.
  13. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn't the NU community vote not to list official paid novels? So while there might be people supporting the series, that would still be a minority, the majority just wants free content

14. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe the Author is using that as an excuse, Doesn't bother me that much since the novel has gone downhill the last few volumes anyway...
    That person who told the Author about the Fan translation reminds of the kid back in the day that reminded the teacher to give out homework or to snitch on other kids.:blobdevil::blobdevil::blobdevil::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:

strayCat0, aoiisora and GDLiZy like this.
  15. Esperreal

Esperreal [The Real Esper], [The Specialest Snowflake]

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve bought even vol both translated and in it original language because I am that much of a fan, but this really makes me hesitant to continue reading. Author seems shallow for saying that since he still makes the money he doesn’t even with fan translation, btw got into Overlord from the fan translation of the web novel so whatever.

LaDyViL likes this.
  16. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    He's just making excuses lol A lot of authors seem to burn out after writing so much. A lot of people hard against fan translations and pirating don't even realize that they're hypocrites, it's kinda sad. Like, do these people even realize that the only reason anime is a global phenomenon is SOLELY thanks to piracy?

strayCat0, Japorea, Reak and 11 others like this.
  17. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    mmmmmmmmm could be real? could be sarcasm? does author understand how his novel became famous? does he care?
    well in the end is up to him if he wants to end it.

Reak likes this.
  18. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if it's fair to say solely thanks to piracy, a lot of companies made risky investments to translate and advertise official release. When I was young, I only found out about new anime when a PC magazine included an episode along with the game demos. That would have been an expensive and risky investment for those companies, especially without a guarantee of any kind of market

Reak and kenar like this.
  19. srrrahim

srrrahim A woman's heart, a needle under the sea

Reading List:
    Link
    That person who told the author about the fan translation is like an elementary kid :facepalm:
    Well, I know that there is a spesial edition novel about evileye and ainz. And thanks to translator hard work, we can read that more quickly than waiting for the official one being translated
    It's like I am still buying manga One Piece even thou I already read that online

I think, it is probably just author excuse to drop out his series, because he already tired of it

20. waleuska

waleuska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Piracy is a big reason why novels got big. Heck, look at what site you are using now. It sound like he is being a cry baby. Most of his fans doundhim through piracy. Not everyone lives in japan or whatever most times we have to wait forever to get a shitty translation of an there stuff.

Look at naruto. The last manga book i pick up called the shadow clones, doppelgangers. This was the offical translations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.