Wuxia, Xianxia, Xuanhuan based games??

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by TheMrAzn, Jun 25, 2016.

?

Is this a good idea?

1. Sounds like a good Idea

88.5%
  2. Just horrible. Just horrible get that out of my face.

11.5%
  1. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you mean "Jade Empire"?

If you did, then I second this. Jade Empire is a good game. The game mechanics are pretty good too, especially the combat.

For MMORPG, there's one titled "World of Kungfu", though I don't know if it still exists now. I remember playing in open beta back in... uh, 2007? 2008?

And I voted "No", not because wuxia-themed games are bad, but because the OP's idea is bad. If implemented, it would be a total grindfest. Or in this case, cultivation-fest.

2. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah.
    1. The game will be a grind fest
    2. The story will be linear. Have predictable outcome.
    3. Chinese characters looks unapealing and they mostly look identical.
    4. It will be a donkey's game. With you running on endless erands of quests by the NPC.
    5. Cheesy dialogue.
    6. Unapealing background settings. Chinese architecture can be good to look at at first, but it gets old real fast. It will be either that or forest, caves, or treasure dungeons. =/. need more veriety.
    7. The battles... if it isn something new, interesting or flashy... it'll just be a pain.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  3. CheeseBread

CheeseBread Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Blade and Soul?

4. sakamoto

sakamoto Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. DX5536

DX5536 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a huge fan the gate of firmament! It's also my 1st introduction to xuan yuan sword series.

Sikong Yu is my husbando. Fight me!

6. Nux

Nux Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try out Age Of Wulin (Not wushu that one is pw2) note thought you're going to be destroyed by older players so don't expect to be at the top unless you're willing to dedicate a long amount of time to the game to cultivate, thought if you're looking to be a casual player then it's perfect for you.

7. GabeZhul

GabeZhul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't Age of Wulin just the EU version of Age of Wushu?
    I have played the latter a couple of years back, and while it had some absolutely amazing ideas (offline-characters, entirely player-driven economy, the cultivation-system) it was also horrendously p2w, and the constant frustration over the lack of currency (you need the premium currency to buy anything even remotely useful, even if you are only trading with other players) that I just couldn't justify playing it after a while.

That said, some of the other recommendations in this thread really tickled my interest, so kudos for that. Too bad that it would probably take a couple of months before I could play any of them, considering my current backlog.

8. Nux

Nux Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why I said Wulin as it's run by a different company which isn't p2w.

9. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese Paladin 1 (AKA Legend of Sword and Fairy) is a classic, if you can find it. It's really hard.... > o < I think someone tried to translate the game once (it's a PC game from the 90s, maybe 1997), but I don't know how that went.

They rebooted it recently as an MMO iirc, but the original is much better.

Edit: Here's what it looked like:

10. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    I think a xianxia type game would actually be pretty easy to set up in terms of cultivation, it's just that to my knowledge, no one has tried this method.

Make the actual cultivation a reaction based skill game, starting from when you are a mortal. It could show a view of the meridians, then you breathe in Qi, move it around the body following the prompts or at least the currently open pathways, then slam them into barrier blocking the Dantian. Once you've broken through, you repeat the process, getting more skilled at it, and the Qi becomes more responsive.

Once you've done it X number of times, an auto feature appears. Then, the more you do it or let the auto feature complete the cultivating it's like a skill level, it gets faster and faster. Eventually it hits a cap for that level of cultivation and you start the reaction skill game for the next level. Whether that is something like Qi Condensation level 2 or Foundation Building, I don't know.

I figure this would allow a cultivation feature, and the auto would allow the player to cultivate in a Cultivator's Cave while offline. Items, formations, Spirit Stones or Spirit Veins, even special Cultivation Methods or Spirit Roots, and different Meridians earned from special events would allow a player to cultivate faster so that people that start first aren't inherently always ahead of the others. With this, you too could be the MC of your own cultivating journey.

Reamie likes this.
  11. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't want to play a mini-game just to level up. The idea might seem interesting at first but you'll eventually hate it. People complained about the hacking mini-game in Fallout, do you think they would like a mini-game like this?

12. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I think folks will find something to complain about regardless of how well done or epic something is. Even if we got FIVR, someone would still find something to complain about, like the fact that they have to log out every so often instead of plugging in for 12 days at a time. So you know what, fuck 'em. Besides a mini-game to level then segueing into an auto feature seems not much different from games with auto-path, auto-combat features. Not even that different, just a different way of looking at it.

Reamie likes this.
  13. Reamie

Reamie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ive got an idea.

It's not as large scale but sure will fit the demand for the game without having a huge budget.

Have any of you played The Ninja RPG?

Basically, why not make this a text based game? Persistent world, browser based.

Battle System eg.
    [​IMG]
    Item System/Bag of Holding eg.
    [​IMG]
    Profile eg (Instead- Chakra=Chi/Qi)
    [​IMG]
    Training layout eg.
    [​IMG]
    Travel (different Villages/Sects)
    [​IMG]
    Inside Sect function/layout
    [​IMG]
    Keep in mind, these are just references.

Guys this can be a thing.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  14. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And a necromancer appears...

15. sapassde

sapassde [Big Rock] [Double Clown]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think gathering resources to make pills would be better for levelling up than a mini-game though the quests shouldn't be only gathering but maybe some of the resources are on places with beasts guarding them or in the possession of another cultivator maybe different ways to get it would be cool like doing jobs for him, challenging him to a dual betting an items of equivalent value or stealing it from him.

LordCorwin likes this.
  16. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, it would be a great game if you can make it to not feel like a grinding game

sapassde likes this.
  17. bonifide

bonifide Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tale of Wuxia was good but the prequel was absolutely shit.

The Gate of Firmament I dropped it probably more than halfway. It got too cheesy and felt like shounen to me.

Jade Empire is probably wuxia meets tech in some ways. It's good one of Biowares best game.

18. Darthi

Darthi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Scroll of Taiwu

20$ on steam

best game of this genre i have ever played

there is an English discord to get files and stuff to play in English

martial arts cultivation with breakthrough minigame
    pill music formations(strategist) tea making, like 20 others to also cultivate
    fights are not limited to physical as you can also end up in dao debates based on one of the many arts (its a mini game where you can ask a question and they have to answer and you can only answer if you have the same or higher in the art cultivated or you can doubt that the person asking even knows which if they dont you win you do multiple rounds like this to decide a winner and the loser pukes blood and runs away and loses rep while winner gains rep)
    there are many sects (with there own specializations of arts many overlap in some areas but every sect is the best in the world at 1 art)
    sects have tournaments
    sects fight each other
    you can join a sect and learn arts or send people from your village to train and learn arts
    you have your own village that you can develop and is like your own sect
    time progresses and you age which affects your character (it affects both your stats and your action points which means you are able to do less and less per month as you get older but you also have better inner strength and def and willpower for breakthroughs and reading manuals)
    when you die you can pass on your will to a heir and play as him/her
    before you die if you have decent knowledge of astrology art and have enough captured souls you can build a soulbridge to reincarnate or posses someone
    weapons are everything you could want for the genre including music and hidden soft swords whips ect pretty much everything
    you can get married you can have lovers you can have kids
    you can harem or be faithful
    it is easy to tunnel vision but stuff is always happening to everyone not just you are spending action points pretty much all the npcs are also doing stuff and it is important to pay attention, when people in your sect die you sometimes get visions where they point a finger at someone which is usually the person who killed them.

this game is by design made for you to have played through 4-10 heirs/reincarnations/possessions
    this is the alpha early access and i already have to go through around 4 just to have done everything

my first play throughs went something like i was a no body then i died just being a named background character but then my heir/decendant who basically starts out as a named background character became a somebody then she died and her heir who was her son became the hero who defeats the demon king.

it is a grind of a game but it is rewarding and fun and tbh you cant want this kind of game that is good and not have a grind.

the game does have kind of complex elements like how you have to keep a good "Breathe" which can be negatively affected by many things like using water skills when you cultivate fire inner arts or cultivating conflicting element inner arts or just using a non orthodox version of a skill and similarly complex is the different types of poisons that affect you and damage your body gets. basically if you dont get treated right away when you take any damage or poisoned it hurts your longevity(which is unavoidable sometimes) that you wont see but you will notice it as your game will end alot sooner (you die at a young age or younger then you should). Your max hp gets lower as you get older or take significant damage but there is no reverse or pill for regret. You have to make plans and live with your choices for when you die to pass on to a new generation or steal someones body.

the art and graphics are not the best but what really got me was how solid and easy it was to create your own story and every playthrough feels similar to starting a new novel tbh the game is so sandbox you can completely ignore the main story and just create your own pesudo main story like my second play through i played as evil as i could get and just lived very short lives and chaotic lives killing a capturing souls and kept possessing new people till eventually i died form good from a goody goody sect master of a righteous sect.

tldr try this game its the best game i have found for this genre.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    LordCorwin likes this.
  19. eternialogic

eternialogic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    #notsponsored
    If you are into idle games, try for the 'Immortal Taoists' App, running in a Xianxia-like world.
    Like any multiplayer Chinesium game, it is moderately P2W with feature creep that resembles the clouds. (Most of the P2W packages are really bad deals, best P2W feature is literally book-reading)
    I am currently running without paying anything and have some semblance of luck in ascending to heaven without being face-slapped by people with money that often after several months.

Also, you get your own harem, but the game is not story-driven.

There was also another cultivation Idle game on the Android Store, 'Fallen God', but it is not translated and is only single-player using Unity.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  20. Darthi

Darthi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    update:
    I have been playing Amazing Cultivation Simulator recently, its good if you liked rimworld and like cultivation novels. It is probably the longest game i have ever played as you can sink 6-12 hours into 1 save file and barely have 1-2 golden core cultivators in your sect. The only part that might not be enjoyable is that your first nascent and immortal cultivator will likely be bad and self sacrifice to create better foundations for new disciples which makes you take a lot more time before you have cultivators that can really shake the world and enjoy the end game. You do get a feeling of accomplishment when you play this game correctly.

LordCorwin likes this.