Discussion How do you plan when writing a novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by 911, May 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kobatochandaisuki

kobatochandaisuki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When you don't write, you don't need to plan.

2. Xenosx

Xenosx New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I start by brainstorming major events in the story, usually bullet points. I then eliminate and add to 'finalize' and begin to add detail. Start to add details between events whether being minor events or character building. I always go back to the major events and evaluate over time because time has passed and I might think differently. I move on from there...

3. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    well...i'm a bit messy tbh

first of course i plan the theme/genre and the character (at least the MC, FL, ML..the main ones)
    i plan the big plot first, what the main / big climax scene...and how the characters go through it

after that, i started to plan smaller scenes or plots...for this parts i divided the story into several parts, ( like for example, the first meeting, second meeting, first A, first B, etc) depends on the storyline...of course each scenes has the climax part which is light and easy
    at this time, we should have rough idea about the story line...

then plan the details
    for example, the first meeting
    i'm using 5W1H (who, where, when, what, why and how) like i'm doing thesis or sth LOLOLOL
    i usually making this into points and at the same time write the rough story...this way i can have summary of the chapters/arc

Kuro_0ni and OnceandFutureLurker like this.
  4. Aedenvuur

Aedenvuur Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try using yWriter. It helps you map out your story in a way that you always can make progress even during the dreaded writer's block

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.