Buying a PC

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sager, Jun 3, 2019.

Tags:
?

what should I do?

1. buy a gaming laptop

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. save up for a PC

36 vote(s)
    94.7%
  1. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gaming laptops have desktop cpus and graphics cards in them right?

I'm a fan of desktops since you don't have to buy the peripherals again for a while. The box itself will continue costing you a cool $1000 to upgrade to the latest and greatest but if you stagger and sacrifice you can bring the yearly cost down to an average of $200

2. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no, that's not correct. cpu's are still mobile, and the video cards are usually a mobile version. Only very expensive models can have a desktop version of video card installed in it, but I've not seen any laptop with a desktop cpu installed.

TamaSaga, SolarMane and starwarscards like this.
  3. tirirism

tirirism He who dealt it

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have a stable place where I live so I can't get a gaming desktop. I'm currently gaming on my Dell Inspiron 15 7577. It's pretty decent and good enough for gaming. HOWEVER, it doesn't even come close to having the same performance a gaming desktop at the same price would. In addition to the lower POWAA!! hardware, heating is a major issue that gaming laptops (at least at this price range) have to deal with. Thermal throttling is a real problem, especially if you live in a relatively hotter place. Having to undervolt and underclock shit is not fun. And even if you do undervolt, long gaming sessions will often see you getting stutters in games that your device is supposed to be able to run with no problem. Not to mention weight. This thing is heavy af. Having to constantly move around with this thing on me is a real pain in the back. And don't even get me started on battery life. It doesn't even last half as long as my old laptop.

So, look around for a gaming laptop in your price range. Build a desktop with similar specs, and buy a cheap laptop for your portability needs.

4. SolarMane

SolarMane Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you build your own desktop, then you can get used parts for cheap. In particular, you can probably get a used AMD Ryzen 2700x for cheap if you are willing to wait for AMD's release of its Ryzen 3000 series chips. As for GPU, a GTX 1660ti (or a used 1070) is more than adequate for 1440p and 1080p gaming.

Avoid ITX and mATX for motherboard form factors if you have to stay within a budget (though I highly recommend a SFX build if your budget is flexible). Also, do not cheap out on your power supply. At minimum, buy something with an 80+ Bronze rating.

5. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want mobility, only then get a laptop.
    Else, it's PC any day.

Also, building your own PC should be cheaper than a laptop tbh, and way more customizable and future proof.

6. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    building a PC for gaming is more cheap than laptop for gaming.

8. Sager

Sager Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Eruxol

Eruxol Du-sollst――Dies irae

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh i rather buy console because it's cheaper than mid end pc.

Leave alone the gaming laptop because it's far more expensive than gaming pc. Not to mention the performance of laptop is still behind pc even the most expensive one.

Then again, it depends on your need.

10. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's one bad guide... Overall the idea it pushes is fine, but omg, those components... you will regret building it this way

11. Nydestroyer

Nydestroyer Special Name.

Reading List:
    Link
    When I was 16 I saved up about 500$ and built a half decent gaming PC by waiting for sales and spending months getting the parts, just gotta make sure dont skimp on the mobo, the case, or wattage of the power supply, then you can just slowly upgrade the ram and GPU until you replace the whole thing with something better eventually. Although I did eventually just buy a prebuilt powerhouse gaming PC once I graduated college and got a job, the one I build myself still served me well and I dont regret months of wating for new egg sales XD

12. Sager

Sager Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find these kinds of comments on every guide I find! :blobexpressionless:

13. Chronos Bee

Chronos Bee Descendant of Sloth

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been using laptop my whole life, and here is my experience:
    -Since I don't have money for a working laptop AND a gaming pc, I chose to buy a gaming laptop, that way I can bring it to work with me (2 in 1).
    -laptop can't be upgrade (or just really hard to)
    -For the same price, PC will always outperform laptop.

14. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would get a pc. Laptops tend to overheat. PC tend to last longer and can handle any overclocking. Also battery life is something I had to worry about with a laptop.

15. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    these kinds will be on every guide, I am talking about the specific parts they recommend, many of them are overpriced garbage that don't perform well and you can buy cheaper ones that outperform what's on that list

16. Sager

Sager Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I'll just buy whatever I can afford

17. apeasley

apeasley Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless you're going to travel and game alot get a PC. There are plenty of computers you can get that'll play games for $800. But the main thing, in my mind, is that desktop PCs are upgradeable. Even if you get a basic PC with a decent motherboard, you can get better components down the line. Big one being a graphics card, but you can also upgrade your RAM and even the cpu further down the line when you have more money saved up.

TLDR get a basic PC with a good motherboard and psu, get basic gpu to start with. Once you have more money you can easily upgrade it with a better gpu and RAM etc...

18. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You do you, of course, but I am not an elitist or snob. My PC is 10 years old and I can play all modern games just fine because I just put a new video card in, and the rest was fine. The components you chose are important. You can spend all your money and immediately need an upgrade or you can do your research and keep your desktop for 10+ years with no problems.

19. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    There isn't a right or wrong answer here
    But, from what has been said so far, you want a PC more it seems, so save up

20. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    PC. It only loses in the mobility department.