Discussion What to cultivate?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by 0000000, Jun 4, 2019.

Tags:
?

What to cultivate (修)?

This poll will close on Sep 4, 2102 at 11:51 AM.
  1. 1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. 16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  3. 7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  4. 2 vote(s)
    7.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok I am not talking about vegetables or fruits or crops.

修真,修仙,修道,修武 are the four main topics that I want to talk about today. Wuxiaworld provided limited insights but they are at least better than the chinese sites which repeatedly forced me to download apps...

修(xīu) is to cultivate.
    真(zhēn) in terms of the truth, or the genuine oneself (真我). Getting the FMA vibe, [​IMG]
    仙 (xiān) as in immortal, godhood.
    道 (Dào) as in path, or direct plagerize from Wikipedia, "natural order of the universe whose character one’s human intuition must discern in order to realize the potential for individual wisdom."
    武 (wǔ), the word came as "to stop violence".

Also, 仙 and 道 may be synonym to each other, as 道 refers to a path which one can venture and 仙 is basically just trying to attain godhood. Though 真 may somehow be synonym to both as some stated 真我 means to reach enlightenment means godhood and the path of truth is a 道. So far you should notice only 武 is an odd one out.

Now here I have a bunch of confusion that I like you to fill up the gaps if possible. Not talking about 练体,练法, aka train body to be warrior or train spells to become magician, fyi, there are short and long term effects on all four (真,仙,道,武) listed below.

Short term: for 真,仙,道, apparently the short term is not visible, unless you are learning 法 in 仙术 or 道术. 武 is the most obvious, strengthen ones body in order to have power to stop violence. 武 itself buffs up the body, but not the soul (?), not talking about the mind, soul, body trinity thing, because in most cases mind and soul are the same.

Long term: 仙 and perhaps 道 in obvious cases equates to longer lifespans, useful in peaceful times, not so much when dying is possible at every junction. 真 might have lengthening of lifespan due to seeking truth of the cosmos and oneself might lead to higher enlightenment. 武 on the other hand, only strengthens the body, with little help in lengthening lifespan...

And I am officially bored writing this halfway. Just pick a poll. Also, I had selected 999 months before the poll closes and in ends in 4 Sep 2102. Hope that NU still exist by then.

CyberCypher and Westeller like this.
  2. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Xian cultivates to break through of their mortal limitation. What do they pursue? They pursue Dao.

To cultivate Dao is to undergo the Dao Comprehension, lengthening one's power, lifespan, and wisdom as they could peer into the truth of the Heaven's Will.

BigBadBoi, Westeller and 0000000 like this.
  3. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpopcorn_two:

Ok, then I'm out...

4. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I was going to say carrots, but then I saw that post.
    Fine, I say something else. Cultivate your friendship with other people, cultivate it and then...

5. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    So in short, to become 仙, one must understand 道 in order to learn the truth 真.
    Which begged the question on why sometimes novels such as Cultivation 40K and 全球高武 tried to split 仙,真,道 and the latter even dragged in 武, which dubbed by the 3 factions as 魔? I mean, this is the many first time I heard 武 as its own faction, as it is the most fundimental and should had been included in all.
    In other novels which their names slipped my mind, you can even attain godhood via doping, kind of making learning obsolete.

Westeller likes this.
  6. Anikiman

Anikiman Sloth From The Land Of Silver

Reading List:
    Link
    And meanwhile he could cultivate some potatoes to make some fries. Nothing friendlier than some fries.

7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Hydrophonics. :blobpats:

0000000 likes this.
  8. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely seems to me like you'd at least be cultivating 真 and 道 together to hit up 仙 -- and probably 武 too, since you mentioned training the body or something. So I agree with the guys above that said something like that.

Now if you have to pick one, I think immortality is always a complete no-brainer, because basically everyone wants to live forever, yeah? We don't need godlike powers, just godlike lifespans. That's all that's really important to anyone.

0000000 likes this.
  9. scribbledoutname

scribbledoutname Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cultivators live sucky lives, so I refuse to cultivate. I choose to be mortal, and play games, eat junk food, have a fulfilling marriage and family life and die happy!

firefox1234 and 0000000 like this.
  10. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    After some novels I read, I agree with you wholesome. But even if you don't compete, others will. Either die a happy idiot or someone under a power struggle i guess

11. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just consider cultivating to be your job, and immortality your retirement benefits.

You have to work now so you can play around after you retire. At the ripe old age of.. 5467.

0000000 likes this.
  12. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Assuming you don't die of work accident... or permanently disabled (which hits way harder for those high leveled, felt that myself when my game account got axed due to suspicious activities...)

scribbledoutname and Westeller like this.
  13. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    In the most traditional way possible, to become xian, one must cut themselves away from the Worldly Desire, which should be the path of searching one's inner self and reaching a certain understanding in one's way. After knowing their true self, one can step across the boundary of mortality and became a Xian.

As a Xian, one would pursue Dao, like a scientist searching for the laws of reality. Dao is everything, hiding within plain sight, and also existed deep within all corners of the world. To comprehend Dao is to know the underlying truth of Heaven and Earth.

As for Wu, which is bodying tempering, it is like a speciality for the Xian to partake. Like Alchemy and Array Formation, most Xian won't choose such a path, either due to their incompatibility with it or their lack of resource. Although most of the Xian would have some attainment in it, they would not stick to it.

Doping is literally drug, which could help, but would not be as good as the normal path. The drugs would help in increasing life force or Qi, which could be used as a helping tool to breakthrough.

0000000 likes this.
  14. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Let us all become grand scholars and understand the heavens, seeing immortals as ants.

0000000 likes this.
  15. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to cultivate you need to find the Author and be in very good terms with him (because without a suggar daddy author giving you plot armor and plot fuelled power boosts/cheats you'll just end as collateral damage when a MC is unhappy about something and rightously kill billions of people (at least it's shown as rightous if you follow the author furnished POV) )...

You'll also need to find a good drug dealer as doping is unavoidable in CN style cultivation...

And you need to have a lot of time to waste and a great deal of patience, be really good at procrastinating, or being able to have massive apragmatism crisis at will as you'll pass thousand of years watching around the global area of your navel doing nothing...

0000000 likes this.
  16. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm more interested cultivating the most Supreme Dao in the Whole Universe!!!! Behold the name, The Dao of Filler

0000000 likes this.
  17. Cloudseeker

Cloudseeker Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would have gone with Dao but I'm just greedy. Let's be serious, who doesn't want a few more years?:)

0000000 likes this.
  18. Grenore

Grenore 《Member》

Reading List:
    Link
    真(zhēn) , 道 (Dào)

These 2 should at least be possible in reality. Such as: Atheist, Scholar.

As for Wu, unless you're thinking of learning martial art in real or street fight, else no need. If you can learn: nen/ chi/ qi mastery through these 2 fighting style. Then you can try for immortality. :hmm::blobpopcorn_cool::blobpopcorn_cool:

0000000 likes this.
  19. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As Charlie from SAO Abridged once said
    23d187fcb6e5e2a180018d126c0df4aa.jpg

0000000 likes this.
  20. kelkel1133

kelkel1133 Well-known Devil

Reading List:
    Link
    For me though, I interpret this as:
    真(zhēn): pursuance of the "perfect self" or being a "paragon of virtue"
    仙 (xiān): pursuance of immortality or eternal life
    道 (Dào): pursuance of a path forward, a place for the human self in the universe, where we must belong.
    武 (wǔ): world peace?

0000000 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.