Question ER gen renegade immortal

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by krish1148, Jun 5, 2019.

1. krish1148

krish1148 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is the mc of RI is evil,I saw. Evil protagonist tag on it.And also Pursuit the devil is dark or not.i read on forum that both RI and PTD is dark.is both worth reading

Deleted member 41274 likes this.
  2. readerread

readerread Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They are dark but neither protagonist is evil. Also they are both definitely worth a read, and imo especially renegade immortal. There’s parts of that story that is just beautiful writing.

Sea Dog likes this.
  3. krish1148

Reading List:
    Link
    But I saw evil protagonist tag on RI.i am thinking of reading anti hero or evil type xianxia novel since I liked Reverend insanity

4. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a phase where mc can be considered as "evil". But as he grows, he turns into someone who is neither evil nor good. He becomes a lone wolf who doesn't want people to bother him

krish1148 likes this.
  5. readerread

Reading List:
    Link
    By no means is the MC a hero in this. He works for his benefit and for the benefit of his loved ones.
    The world itself is cruel. I think both R.I and Pursuit of the Truth will be down your alley if you liked Reverend Insanity

krish1148 and Astaroth like this.
  6. krish1148

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks

7. Zaroz

Zaroz Existential Lurker Demonic Calamity

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, I somewhat disagree with this statement due to the definition provided in the NU Tags. By the most common meaning of 'Evil' you are correct in that the MC's are not evil; however, the tag definition of "Evil Protagonist" is as follows:

"Where the Main character is interested in his own self benefit or pleasure and doesn't care about their moral stance to get what they want."

Thus, according to the NU Tag definition, the MCs do fall under the tag of Evil Protagonist. Personally, I feel that the tag "Evil Protagonist" should be removed as it involves a subjective interpretation of morality and, by itself, possesses a rather obscure meaning. This is because the values of "Good" and "Evil" are, by themselves, influenced by the culture/society one lives in.
    Take the action of butchering a cow/bull/steer for its meat, for example:
    As an American myself, I find this to be a normal action needed for the production of food.
    If this same action was to be performed in India, where cattle are sacred; however, it would be viewed as a blasphemous and "Evil" action.
    Therefore, it is difficult to define the values of good and evil in a society we have never experience ourselve.

Rather than that, the tags "Character Growth", "Determined Protagonist", and "Personality Changes", are what I view as the important part. While there isn't a tag for it, the best adjectives that I can use to describe WL and SM are "introspective", "self-reflective", and "adaptive" in that they will sit down and reflect on their actions, whether they be they mistakes, or otherwise, and adjust their mindset as a result.

Also, if you liked these books, I recommend A Record of a Mortal's Journey to Immortality. It has a similarly harsh world, with the MC just trying to survive in it.

HappyHavak and readerread like this.
  8. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    speak english speaking i do, don't. The MC evil is not, but is evil a for bit. Pursuit the devil black is not, not is light, dark grey is beautiful

9. readerread

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you on almost everything except the evil protagonist part. During my reading I don't associate the MC with abandoning HIS moral stance and therefore I can't label him as evil. In a way this is what makes it so good. Different people have different opinions of the same story. Plus both RI and Pursuit of the Truth are nearly completed.

A record of a Mortal's Journey is on my to read list but less than half the chapters are updated. If you have other recommendations that are closer to completion I would appreciate it.

Er Gen fans should take a look at Cuttlefish book, the quality of writing and world building is on par.

10. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Master Yoda poem much?

This novel I quite liked to read. I can recommend. How is the mc? He is forced in his circumstances to live his way, he is the darkest of all MCs er gen has created

DiabolicGod likes this.
  11. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    They are not as black as Fang Yuan but also not white. They are on the edge between black and white, the grey part. They are more of a ruthless and cold, but not a evil that like destruction.

12. Zaroz

Zaroz Existential Lurker Demonic Calamity

Reading List:
    Link
    I only mentioned that because he TECHNICALLY falls under the NU Tag definition, even if I personally disagree with it.

**Edit: Another few novels I thought of with Antihero MCs that aren't strictly evil, were Warlock of Magus World(Fully TL-ed), The Wizard World(Fully TL-ed), Seoul Station's Necromancer(Fully TL-ed), Sovereign of Judgement(Fully TL-ed), and Age of Adepts (~800/1500 chapters TL-ed. Active)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019