Elements in novels, which make me angry when I read them

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Deleted member 41274, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in_awe

in_awe [Daisy's Pet][Tilgar's Master][Evil Chaotic Fluff]

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, I always see those. I'm not even surprised.

Deleted member 41274 likes this.
  2. rosie94hrpr

rosie94hrpr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate naive FL's who are in love with the idea of love, not the MC himself. They do such stupid and selfish things b/c they let their fantasies run away with them and are annoyingly persistent even when it's clear the MC has no feelings for them. MC usually ends up in trouble b/c of them and it's just...ugh, they drive me nuts and want to slap them to wake them up.

3. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    Seeing mc begin practicing technique #38995389^58, only to get #38995390^58 later yet you hear nothing about them other than some crazy name. It takes the smallest bit of creativity to explain how they work so these techniques actually mean something rather than be mindless cultivation or mindless ability practicing. I mean, look at Mahouka. Seeing the process into creating things makes it far more interesting.

4. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    Invincible does check off just about everyone one on a regular basis lol. Though it's pretty consistent with the insanely over powered thing it has stumbled multiple times. Some are from other novels like the Mc is dead arcs is mainly a reference to Immortal Mortal that used it like 2-3 times within like 150 chapters.

Also this has reminded me of another one

10) half step cultivation levels. Even those that are explained in detail like Immortal and Martial dual Cultivation. Every time an author pulls out half step levels I basically consider him in the lowest tier of author's unless the novel has been substantially enjoyable minus said cultivation rank of half step. Even with that said it is unlikely I'll read a second novel by an author that uses half step as an actual rank as said author is filed right beside netorare author's and who ever wrote the Ancient strengthening technique novel.

5. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I rarely come across any of the other complaints in this thread, and they rarely bother me when they do show up. This is the exception. Not only is it horrible whenever it happens, but it utterly ruins the stories that they're in. It doesn't help that these male love interests tend to be terrible characters.

6. Ignus

Ignus Philosopher of Flames

Reading List:
    Link
    When the Author backtracks on something he just said a few chapters before.
    Common Examples
    - I will save all these stat points because I am S.M.A.R.T... now ill just randomly drop them into Vitality.
    - I just got a new movement technique, which will take me a month to learn, tomorrow I will go out and fight beasts and paint a target for the rich young master to attack me before I learn the new technique.
    - I need to lay low, ( 2 hours before X event, often in a resturant)... only to draw attention to myself.
    - I need to leave my cushy life I just fought hard for, regaining my place in my family, to only leave without reaping the benefits, to ... I am in a new town and need to make money for resources...

7. Lianyin

Lianyin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. The 'I-have-to-leave-you-because-1254810-reasons-but-hey-(i-think)-it's-for-your-own-good' trope.
    2. Third parties in romance novels.
    Irks me every time.

8. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t like when novels have a nice premise and strong start only to tear themselves apart. I also don’t like when a main character ignores someone for their “true love”, seduces the person they ignored when they don’t give the expected disappointed reaction, and then ruins the seduced character’s life without hesitation as soon as they are given a reason doubt them.

Example of all of the above: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-imperial-princess-accidentally-seduced-her-husband/

9. Ran ahzu

Ran ahzu “a very tired person"

Reading List:
    Link
    Bad endings/crappy endings,they just destroy my feelings for the novel. I loved some novel with a great cultivation system of summoning monsters and even enjoyed the love story+ MC's relations with his partner and his family mystery. But author just had to ruin the ending by making MC reincarnate to bad ending every time,without being able to change anything
    P.S. let's not forget about filler chapters and sissy MLs

JSS, flannan and Deleted member 41274 like this.
  10. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    that female mc are super duper slaughter gods dokter assassins crime bosses who kicked puppy's for fun in their past life but when the ML shows up and shows his peerless handsome face they turn in naive weak willed little girl without reason.

JSS, Greyman, Ran ahzu and 4 others like this.
  11. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    a retarded mc is fine but if the mc is both retarded and uncool then thats it you are in my shit list desu

12. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    When the story or chapter doesn't provide anything useful or advanced the plot, just to end it with cliffhanger and it keep repeating for few more chapter.

13. Ishmael

Ishmael 『Night Owl』『Butler』『Traveller』

Reading List:
    Link
    I have always had a beef with hypocritical MC's where the MC shit talks about other people of being cruel and talk of righteousness and their actions being wrong but only to later then do those things himself and justify it with some bullshit reason.

Random lurker, JSS, mir and 4 others like this.
  14. Deleted member 176237

Deleted member 176237 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    A harem novel that is actually not harem.

15. Chryseum

Chryseum Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Worse, not listed as a harem novel but is actually a harem anyway (Harem to me = multiple girls like mc and he does NOT reject their advances even if he doesn't fall for them. )

16. White Head Ice Prince

White Head Ice Prince Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know about elements but I can speak of an element, the absence of which gets on my nerves : Smut

Mostly in romance novels like you read 200 chapters of plot and slow burn and in the epilogue you get 1 kiss and the scene directly shifts to the next morning right when the clothes come off !! LIKE WTF
    (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

JSS, mir, Ran ahzu and 2 others like this.
  17. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate when the story turns too obsolete or there's any form of CIS/PIS

18. sonnen

sonnen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. When MC starts cultivating in the womb or as a infant then by 5 years old he is killing elder level villians while already fantasizing about women.
    2. Even though the MC is basically a mass murderer at the age of 15 or 16 years old and the slightest touch of a females hand or accidental eye contact makes the MC blush and run away. It is infuriating when every soul knows at that age boys are filled to the brim with "extreme yang essence"
    3. The MC has an over powered cultivation cheat but then says to himself I'm now just 4 lvls below my hated enemy but If I use this skill I can be considered 2 lvls below him so if I can't win I can escape.... WTF!!! You have a freaking cheat dude just cultivate until you can win idiot he is your first enemy forget it just die and end this at chapter 26
    4. When female MC is strong and independent but seems to always need a male lead to ruin everything for all that is holy someone write or direct me to a cn that is a female version of Yun Che or Lin ming who love interest are basically left in the background I'll even take a desolate Era type MC the is on a mission to resurrect said love interest.
    Wow after letting go of these heart demons I'm closer to breaking through only one heart demon left and it's the most Terrifying yaoi heart demon but that is for another time I must consolidate first

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  19. All mighty Asian

All mighty Asian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Battle through the heavens
    A perfect example actually 90% Chinese and Japanese Novels are like that

20. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I cant really stand the wimpy and too dense protagonists i have no clue why someone would like them, the too indecisive ones also pisses me off, sometimes i dont mind mc hiding his power but it depends on the reason and the time he is doing it noone have to show their power but sometimes they are just stupid

Dont read Xianxia then

1- Novels that keep giving harem tag, keep more and more women showing up in mc life falling for him to never have a chance for an actual harem ending, if its like this why even bother? Really add some dudes as friend of mc through story i wish there were more stories where MC would have actually usefull male friends

2- Hypocrite MCs, or that keep denying themselves all the fucking time

3-MCs not capable of actually taking action, or even being capable of using his/her godamn head

4-Portrayal of women as objects, i do like harem and i like seeing polygamy see but really when i see some novels where they are pretty much treated or exists to be the MC objectt just annoy the hell of me

5-Forgiveness of people that did all kind of bullshit without even somehow making him suffer or making he actually regret everything he did with something

6- "You're my family"

7- No character development no matter what happens in the novel even if the character have absolutely nothing on him that would allow him to keep his personality when something happens with him/her

8- When they decide to leave the person they love or something saying "its better this way" , or just see some random moment that the person have with someone else and thne just give ups,leave but dont even bother talking about it or discovering if it was just a coincidence

there is others but these ones are the first that came into my head

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.