Is there no longer free wordpress?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Ai chan, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The current generation sees elves as one of two things:

Miniature slaves owned by Santa Claus, or graceful semi-immortal beings of above-average looks. The former great with tools of all kinds, and specializing in the creation of toys and black technology. The latter probably good with bows and antagonistic towards dwarves, which are similar to their miniaturized slave cousins.

If you want more old world folklore, you're looking for the Fae. Fairies. Not the tinkerbell kind, the Irish Sidhe kind.

Most people in the west aren't going to know jack about Malaysian folklore because it's too far away. Ireland is closer.

LaDyViL and Wujigege like this.
  2. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Blogger

3. niznet

niznet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Blogger and domain if you don't want to buy a hosting.
    You also won't see any ads like Wordpress free plans. Using WordPress and upgrade the plans to get revenue, you will share your revenue with wordpress.com.

Using blogger and buy a domain with $8.56 or $8.99 for a year would be good, no?

Wujigege and nonononononono like this.
  4. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    I think wordpress look prettier and more reader friendly than blogger.

5. niznet

niznet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well maybe... Because you need to find a blogger theme on google rather than WordPress had own repository which makes blogger more complicated/difficult and also the WordPress theme customizer are more friendly and easier than blogger. Every time you change the blogger theme, you will lose widgets that you implemented to site and need to configure it again.

but if we talking about limitation, the blogger had it advantage than WordPress.

6. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Money isn't really the issue. Ai-chan can spend $5 a month for local hosting with double the goodies with free domain compared to what wordpress gives. The only reason Ai-chan goes wordpress is because Ai-chan wants to get familiar with how wordpress works.

7. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This. Thanks, west.

Most of the materials found online would say elf, I'm not sure why there's almost no reference to fae. Which is why I mentioned keeping it as is, untranslated. But I know some wants everything translated, so imo fae would probably be the better choice between the terms.

:blobcry: yes. There has been times I'm told me to more data, whenever I declined data draining activities....I'm already tired of telling people how expensive they are.

DevianT likes this.
  8. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I have seen elves used differently, but you have to be very clear and use a good amount of exposition explaining it (either that or some sort of glossary). Fae is probably closer to what you're thinking of in terms of common English fantasy comparison, but keeping the traditional name is probably the best solution.
    As long as most things are translated, introducing a couple of terms is rather common in mythological fantasies and shouldn't be unduly remarked upon.

9. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, you can technically use them however you wish. Every story is a little bit different to begin with, so readers learn quickly to take things in stride. As long as your story clearly defines "Elves" as something different than normal, preconceived notions of what they are won't really matter. Err. It's like, it doesn't really matter how many cultivation stories we read, our notions of what cultivation is take a backseat to what the story says cultivation is.

At most, the reader will be like "Oh, wow, elves are weird in this novel." ... It's not like they won't understand.

The problem only comes about when you, as an author, just expect them to know that "elf" means something wildly different in your culture, and never bother to really describe them in the story. The readers will still get it, eventually, but there'll be some disconnect. It's too early to tell for sure, so I don't know if that's the kind of story this is or not... but I kind of get the feeling it might be? After all, it was written for a non-global target audience.

10. niznet

niznet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend wordpress.org rather than blogger, because you can do alot things to the site! if you need help you can tell me.

11. DLOB

DLOB Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you like to try out Wordpress dot org (not dot com) + play around with themes in setting up a website, I have some extra space in my hosting. The datacentre is in the US. You get your own space and cPanel. Decent speed. You can try it out for free or pay as you can, no worries :)

Love to connect with a fellow supernatural enthusiast like myself :)

I agree with LaDyviL. As I was let to understand, "Bunian" usually means invisible folks living in realms that are invisible to us. It could range from Elves, Fae, humanlike beings, etc. :) Maybe "unseen beings" might also be a possible translation?
    (Me = metaphyiscal / supernatural enthusiast)

Word. :)

Ai chan likes this.
  12. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    You can get wordpress basic from godaddy for $1 a month for a year with a coupon. That includes a free domain too. Though it will be full price after a year (which you can worry about then >.>)

hostinger offers 80 cents a month for 2 years of wordpress but I don't know much about them...(it says they exited since 2004..)

Ai chan likes this.
  13. UDI

UDI Writer / Emcee / Lime Blood

Reading List:
    Link
    You can use google sites they are completely free!

14. bibi_tl

bibi_tl Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're looking to experiment with wordpress, stay far away from wordpress.com! Not only do they put ads on your site, but they also restrict you from using themes/plugins. Nowadays most shared hosting providers offer one-click installs for wordpress on cpanel, and there's many cheap options available so there's no reason to use wordpress.com

Though I don't know how good hostinger is, you should avoid godaddy like the plague. I can provide free hosting in europe where DMCA is ignored if you're interested. In my opinion though, if you don't care about DMCA, the best location to host websites in general is east US for worldwide connectivity. But for a novel site, I suspect west US is better for good US and asia connectivity.

DLOB, DevianT and Ai chan like this.
  15. kobatochandaisuki

kobatochandaisuki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there's this wix.com thing that looks like wordpress you can use for free if I'm not mistaken.

Ai chan likes this.
  16. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, last night it received its first 1 star. Ai-chan doesn't understand why. It's not boring. Is it Ai-chan's exposition? Ai-chan's translator notes?

17. DLOB

DLOB Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I seconded both statements! Use Wordpress dot ORG (self hosted) and NO godaddy. Save you the future headaches.

18. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a sneaky tactic that a lot of web platforms have been using.
    Graphically they make prices bigger so it catches the attention of prospective customers.
    And the free stuff are just linked with a little text block or phrase.

19. Xevo

Xevo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This thread is giving me a headache.
    1. Wordpress.com offers a "free" solution, however, they will place advertisements on the pages.
    2. If you want full control and get clear metrics, self-hosted is the way to go. This will also give more freedom in placing your own advertisements.
    3. Wordpress.com is a service by Automatic, while Wordpress.org offers a PHP-based software that you can host on a web host of your choice. This, however, does cost money in most cases. These are not astronomical amounts, some start at a few bucks a month.
    4. A different option is joining a translation group, meaning you only have to translate and you can expect someone else to do this stuff. The con is that someone else is going to earn off your work.
    5. Earning on advertisements is a bit of a grey area at the moment. The biggest issue being adblockers. Sometimes I earn 5 bucks a month and at other times I earn 40~50 bucks.

Kuro_0ni likes this.