Discussion What's your favorite Pokemon starters?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Blitz, Jun 12, 2019.

?

Favorite starter each gen?(you can pick 10)

1. Charmendar

2. Squirtle

3. Bulbasaur

4. Cyndaquil

5. Totodile

6. Chikorita

7. Turtwig

8. Chimchar

9. Piplup

10. Oshawatt

11. Snivy

12. Tepig

13. Treecko

14. Mudkip

15. Torchick

16. Froakie

17. Fennekin

18. Chespin

19. Rowlett

20. Litten

21. Popplio

22. Grookey

23. Scaebunny

24. Sobble

25. Pikachu(since yellow was a thing)

26. Eevee(Xd and gale of darkness count)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    The new Pokemon sword and shield trailer dropped recently and the hype is real. Lots of interesting mechanics and all. I'm personally gonna get shield since shield doggo needs love too.
    Anyways what starter pokemon, are you guys interested in? Scorbunny and Sorble seem to be the most popular so far. As for Poor Grookey I had to google their name since I couldn't recall it. That got me thinking what's your favorite staters from the previous gens? Mine are

• Gen 1- Charmander. Well it would be a tie between charmander and bubasaur but nostalgia wins over. Also venasaurs and blasotises mega evolutions are so lackluster compared to both of charz's ones.
    • Gen 2-Cyndaquil.Can't help but love that little ball of flames. Totadile comes as a close second
    • Gen 3- Treecko nuf said
    • Gen 4-Turtwig. Its quite tough to decide for this gen since I like all 3 of their designs equally. I went with turtwig since I just really like his final evolution. A massive walking turtle with a huge tree on it.
    • Gen 5-Oshwatt. Not much to be said since I find it the weakest group of starters
    • Gen 6-Froakie. I like fenekkin just as much but Greninja having an alternate mode is a deal breaker. Plus the other 2's final evolutions are kinda meh
    • Gen 7-Rowlett. A flying puffball plus I just like its final forms. Decidueye is just fun to say. Plus its sniper gimmick is hilarious. Litten ain't bad either. Incineror is mad fun to mess around with in smash too
    • Gen 8-Sobble. currently not much is known about the trios evolutions but until then sobble is a clear winner for me.

gheist1234 and Donutmindme like this.
  2. Donutmindme

Donutmindme [dounut][Zodiac:Golden snake][PROcrastinator]

Reading List:
    Link
    eh, i don't know much 'bout pokemon so I cant say much.

3. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve only played the version that Chimchar is the starter in. Never got much into it since I don’t like strategizing much....

Still, you forgot Eevee! They’re a starter in Stadium or Colosseum, right?

4. Blitz

Reading List:
    Link
    images.jpeg
    Here's a list of all starters so pick one or two that you like maybe?
    Added >.<
    Yeah. They appeared in Xd And Gale of Darkness too

Donutmindme and Fossil like this.
  5. Fossil

Reading List:
    Link
    Sheesh, for someone who doesn’t even play the games to remember it but you don’t....

6. Nekorin

Nekorin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mostly pick fire type Pokemon as a starter.. lol,

otaku31 likes this.
  7. Blitz

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean picking eevee isn't really a choice. Its mandatory.
    I was planning to add spinoffs too but realized that the list wouldn't hold them.

Fossil likes this.
  8. Fossil

Reading List:
    Link
    Mm, fair enough.

9. Blitz

Reading List:
    Link
    Now that this thread I made to procrastinate is done. Time to sleep :blobsleeping:

10. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Blastoise because GUNS !

11. JPGr

JPGr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know people will disagree, but this entirely my opinion based on how much I've enjoyed using individual starters, since that's best measurement for me.

Rate starters by gen: Gen 3, Gen 2, Gen 1, Gen 6, Gen 7, Gen 5, Gen 4. Gen 8 can't really be judged properly.

Gen 3 (Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip), Gen 2 (Cyndaquil, Totodile, Chikorita), Gen 1 (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle), Gen 6 (Fennekin, Froakie, Chespin), Gen 7 (Rowlett, Litten, Popplio), Gen 5 (Snivy, Oshawott, Tepig), Gen 4 (Chimchar, Piplup, Turtwig).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  12. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    Generation 1: Bulbasaur. Always get him in gen 1 and its remakes. He's adorable and my first partner in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorer's of Darkness, which was my first pkm game. I dont really like it's evolutions half as much though.

Generation 2: its tricky because I really like cyndaquil and chikorita. I really like their evolutions; quilava and bayleef too. I use them a lot quite equally. All the gen 2 starters are really cool though.

Generation 3: Mudkip. It he was my first partner for PKM MD Blue Rescue Team. The meme is also hilarious and hes cute. I also like his evolutions. Mega evolution not as much, that's where blazekin trumps. But still, swampert is strong. Think I mained one through Black once.

Generation 4: Piplup. Platinum was my first pokemon core game and I first mained with piplup. Went through the elite four with a level 80 empoleon, a level 30 luxray and other level 15 scrubs. Cynthia smashed me so many times. I still love empoleon so much and I'm using pokemon bank to main it through OR/AS atm. He was also my first level 100, trading a hell ton in that game, got lots of baby pipluos, completed the dec with him and my first shiny to boot.

Generation 5: Snivy. Got pkm black and white at the same time and first went through with all 3 starters. I like them all, however I always mained with serperior afterwards. Cool design and absolutely wrecks. Smug and cool!

Generation 6: froakie. Not a big fan of the gen 6 starters tbh. But froakie is my no.1
    I guess fennikin was a cool partner in PSMD and its evolutions smash at the Pokemon TCG which is cool.

Generation 7: Popplio. Water starters are solid and be was my first in Moon. I dont like littens final evolution even though it Torracat seems cool. I'm using rowlet in Ultra Moon and hes my most trash pokemon imo. Dont like decidueye at all.

Generation 8: I might choose grookie but I'm scared itll end up like chesnaught. I like the jumping animations of scorbunny but I dont want it to end up lopunny esq. Sobble is too timid looking. It was cute on bulbasaur but not you buddy! But they all seem pretty decent.

13. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    Megumin pure fire type and adorable.

14. Ruyue

Ruyue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gen 1- Squirtle
    Gen 2- Cyndaquil
    Gen 3- Torchik or maybe Treecko(I honestly didn't like this generation to much...)
    Gen 4- Piplup
    Gen 5- Oshawott
    Gen 6- Froakie or Fennekin
    Gen 7- Litten (Because when it is fully evolved, its finisher in smash absolutely whacks people.)
    Gen 8- Aint sure of this one chief.

15. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In general, I've picked water starters simply because of my typical team compositions and the history of HM moves. Since you'd always need a surfer, and there were often more than one water HM, I'd always have a water type, and the water starters were mostly quite good and easy to build around.

In terms of simple personal favorites, I'd have to go with piplup overall. It's very cute and I find the eventual water/steel typing to be unique and interesting (although imo it isn't an optimal pairing given empoleon's low speed making all the earthquakes and crosschops hit him first). If a fast water starter had water/steel typing, I feel it'd be better since it'll still let you strike first if you think you can 1shot someone that can super effective you, or it'll let you resist many other types, making you less squishy overall despite the ground/fighting weakness (because those two generally are slower than the faster water starters while faster than the slow ones like empoleon).

Anyways, honorable mentions would probably be Snivy because I like its design despite my hatred towards its stat distribution.

16. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    I like blends of cute and cool. Unfortunately balancing with game style means it's almost always a fire type. But the single fav had to be the rowlet I spent over 8hours spam restarting the game to acquire, with 6 perfect iv and the right nature and sex lol.

17. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    You forgot the other starter pokemon though!
    In Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games you can also be Pikachu, Meowth, Psyduck (I enjoy playing Psyduck lol), Machop, Cubone (The best!), Eevee and Skitty (destroys everything)! And That's just PKMN Blue Rescue Team! In PMD2 you can also be Munchlax, Vulpix, Shinx, Phanpy (use when wanting hard mode), and Riolu! I haven't played Gates of Infinity, but they introduced Axew! Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon kinda sucked because the only pokemon they had were all the starters + pikachu + riolu.

Also in Pokemon Ranger you're starter is either a plusle or minum and in its sequels you can choose between pachirisu, starly or munchlax. Pretty sure there are more including some starters. In the final of the triology, you also get ukelele pichu~
    [​IMG]

Then you get Pokemon Conquest but you have eevee as your starter.:blobamused:

EDIT: yeah there's way too much to add them all:blobsweat_2:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  18. Cypress

Cypress Eh, what's "outside"? /sinks into bed

Reading List:
    Link
    :pikablob::pikablob::pikablob:
    me don't know jack shit about pokemon

19. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    Gen 1: Charmander
    Gen 2: Totodile
    Gen 3: Treeko - but if its about the times I picked as a starter by playing again it would be torchic.
    Gen 4: Turtwig, Torterra was my most favorite pokemon back then.
    Gen 5: Snivy coz it looks cool being a different design for a starter.
    Gen 6: Chespin coz I like tanky looking pokemon.
    Gen 7: Rowlet coz Decidueye looked cool.
    Gen 8: Sobble because it gonna be great in the anime, just like froakie did with Ash.

20. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    But it looks pretty rad
    [​IMG]