Question Two stories a bit too familiar.

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by TerranImperium, Jun 17, 2019.

1. TerranImperium

TerranImperium Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-daily-life-of-the-immortal-king/ is the concerned novel who seems to draw a lot of its tropes from a Japanese manga named Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan. I'm not pointing fingers nor saying that X author stole from Y author. I'm just wondering why there is so much resemblance, is there some sort of genre for this kind of stories where they have the same tropes? That would be awesome as I would get to enjoy content similar to Saiki Kusuo.

The basic similarities are, we have an overpowered protagonist on both sides, they both have mind-reading abilities, they're both annoyed at their overpoweredness and wants a normal life. They both have something to hide their true powers. They both have a pretty girl full of herself but put up an act of a nice girl that wants to get the attention of the indifferent MC.

Those things could be passed off as coincidences or just common enough tropes. The most striking thing for me that sealed the deal is the presence of a guy so stupid MC can't his mind which we have in both stories. Now, that's a rather uncommon trope they have in common, in fact, before reading this CN I've only seen that sort of character in Saiki Kusuo. So at some point when you put all of that together, I thought they have a bit more than coincidental resemblance. The later chapters only seem to reinforce that idea.

Does anyone know a bit more about this?

2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you new to novels or something :blobunsure:?
    They do that sort of thing IRL in exams/work/public speeches/etc.... so what's stopping people from copying other novels plots and settings into their own work :blobsweat_2:?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2019
  3. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You didn't know that chinese have a racial skill called "Plagiarism"?

4. Dark abyss soul

Dark abyss soul Lurking. Eff 1702 notifications I am dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, you can say that there are so many coincidences in both of them naturally but their settings are some what different I can suggest u manga like(MANGA)
    /"The Master of Martial Arts Retired Life" /
    Yeah maybe foundations of these are same like opness of mc.,
    Female lead proud nature as well., ridiculous characters around mc but there's some sort of link between MANGA and novel

TerranImperium likes this.
  5. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    I can think of several novels that have very similar starts, too similar really. I try not to let that influence me to like or dislike it. All these web novels are lacking something and originality is often one of them, but it's not like something is good just because it's original or bad because it's not.

Meloman and TerranImperium like this.
  6. Robofs740

Robofs740 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I don't know either of them but being able to read minds would get pretty annoying. Then, at some point, there would be someone with an empty head or a head filled with nonsense whose mind can't be read. As for the girl, that one is probably the more uncommon one.

7. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone from China stole from Journey to the West.

Korea probably has some classical stories where there are “monster gates.”

And Japan also probably have a classical story about an “European style kingdom reincarnation.”

Also, I think America has zombies.

8. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    *cough*plagiarism!*cough*

It needs to be informed that China is rife with plagiarism and copyright/patent violations. It's not even a myth anymore that China does not respect non-Chinese copyrights and patents. Plus, the story you linked came from Qidian.

It's Qidian. It's not exactly good literature. Heck, calling them 'literature' is probably an insult to real Chinese literature. Plagiarism is the least of your problems with Qidian stuff.

So you're probably wondering, if the author of the book plagiarized a Japanese manga. The answer is always yes. Like 99% of the time, they blatantly copied someone else's work, at least with Qidian authors. Legitimate Chinese traditionally published authors are better at around only 10% possibility of the stuff written being plagiarizing stuff.

Please take note that the percentages given are completely arbitrary as Ai-chan doesn't have the time nor the motivation to actually make a study on it. BTW, who's the girl in your avatar?

Meloman and TerranImperium like this.
  9. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Regardless of plagiarism or not.

Common tropes are:
    1. OP MC wants to be normal and can hide their OP-ness
    2. Mind reader can't read mind of simpleton
    3. Pretty girl who can't get enough of MC

Applying the same tropes does not necessary mean it's copied. That is decided by the way they are used.
    But yeah, the novel market is over saturated and successful trope constellations are getting copied all the time.
    If two (or more) novels seem to similar, it's usually better to just read one of them (ideally the one you started reading first, because unless it sucks, the others tend to be nothing new:blobsad:)

10. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The two stories don't seem to be all that similar to each other. At first glance there are a lot of common points, but these common points aren't all that unique. The other thing I'd like to point out is that there's nothing wrong with writers stealing ideas from one another. That's how young writers learn their craft, and it's how genres can evolve. Hell, I'm reading my third book based on the Ballad of Hua Mulan in the last few months! And yet they all manage to be unique from each and are about completely different things.

11. TerranImperium

TerranImperium Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hah, thanks for the answers. So in general, it's more likely than not plagiarism or maybe the Chinese author taking some inspiration from the Japanese one but that has a lower percentage.
    Not particularly but to Chinese novels, in general? I'm relatively new.

You can find it here. :blobokhand:
    https://www.deviantart.com/photoport/art/Girl-Spring-437456220

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Deleted member 155674 likes this.