SAO is good.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by LysUltima, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    I always thought it was because a lot of anime youtubers denounce SAO that people denounce SAO. Also, SAO is mainstream.

AliceShiki likes this.
  2. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Thinking back, it kinda feels like wish fulfillment~

3. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Hegao

Hegao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Heretic!

5. Seymoore

Seymoore Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a russian i could honestly say i was bored af reading the original. Probably the only russian classic work i wholeheartedly hate. It is boring af and i absolutely fail to see what makes it a literary masterpiece.

6. flannan

flannan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a fellow Russian, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I didn't even make it through the first volume.

The technical term for what you're supposed to feel after a good tragedy is "catharsis". A feeling like that after crying a lot and being ready to live on. I never felt if after reading Romeo and Juliet, though.

I read and watched SAO when I have already quite experienced with anime, and it was still quite good compared to what came before it. One of the better parts was, the MC was actually clever, not a typical braindead protagonist who overcomes cunning plans with overflowing stupidity. As somebody who prides myself on being clever, I liked it a lot.
    Also, the romance didn't end with a confession or a first kiss. Kirito and Asuna got married and even had a kid.
    Wish fulfillment is one part of SAO. Among many others - it's a quite multi-faceted show.

AliceShiki likes this.
  7. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If we're going to see catharsis as the goal of media that creates a variety of non-positive emotions in us -- frustration, horror, disgust -- then that catharsis is technically achieved the moment we feel any of those emotions. Since the point is just, y'know, to let 'em out. The only way you could not feel 'catharsis' is to literally feel nothing. That means that to you R&J was not frustrating, just boring.

For the record, I don't really think catharsis is the goal of such media anyway, so much as just inspiring those emotions in us. A horror movie can be all about trying to scare us to death without particularly caring whether we experience any kind of emotional release as a result. That sounds more like a tacked-on psychoanalysis after the fact.

8. flannan

flannan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a feeling you understand catharsis differently than me, but I'm really not qualified to discuss it.

AliceShiki and Westeller like this.
  9. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Me neither. :blobrofl:

AliceShiki and flannan like this.
  10. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    The most I know about catharsis is the song by TK Long Sigure...:sweating_profusely:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.