Fashion Nowaday

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cap.toon, Jun 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L0pez

L0pez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is manga "Runway De Waratte", nice art and story. It's about a fashion designer and a model.

During reading that manga, I saw this exact question and I finally learned answer too.
    Shit like this is indeed not designed to be a cloth. That part of fashion exhibitions is I believe a completely separate segment where they want to do "art", or even try to tell a story through it. (And since no one get's modern art, there is no need to try getting that too.)

So clothes from these exhibitions are as far from normal clothes as... eh, I'm drunk so I can't come up with better comparison... as regular paint on walls is far from Michael Angelo's paintings in some temple.

Fulminata likes this.
  2. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good point. But the creator actual bought the costume set on site and put it on. It was by far, looked heavy and appeared hard to maneuver around. Putting it on, appeared even hard. I imagine the actual race would have by now or at that point of time alter the costume enough that although the metal protrude, it holds significantly less weight. Just from modern view, we want things to be easier, the whole ideal of technology. But fashion seems to be going backward.

I feel it is a rip off to be buying ripped jeans that cost more than 10$.

3. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    :eek: What! Bu-but, what about sustainability? Cause if the craziness don't sell, they'll just end up as trash.

4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Np, though would it make a difference even if I was talking about magnesium-lithium alloy? Just like steel has hundreds if not thousands of different combinations, magnesium-lithium alloy is no different. There are magnesium-lithium alloys that won't explode nor corrode in water, I actually remember reading about one about a year ago that is 50% lighter than aluminum and highly durable that they are testing for use in cars.

Hmmm... it's hard for me to judge without seeing it. But I will say this:
    1) Someone linked a video on similar topic where people put brass on their necks, and they add more and more as they age, I'm sure that isn't light by any means.
    [​IMG]

2) We don't know how strong said race is, they can be like ants that can pick up 10X their weight
    3) We also don't know how high the gravity is there, if the gravity is like the moon or mars?

5. L0pez

L0pez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They were never designed to sell so they never got mass produced(you don't see these weird things often in regular shops), they are designed literally for this one exhibition/contest so rich/weird people could jerk off to their "artistic view". And, since publicity = money, it's profitable. But well, if some weirdos still wanted to buy these things, then there is for sure some way to order them(that would explain Lady Gaga's weird af outfits), but that would be still producing in detail instead of en masse.

@Edit, I only just now went into depth about your example of... women on deserted planet? Well... this thing too, was probably about art rather than logic, otherwise every fashion contest ever would be won by track-suit with shitload pockets.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    reagents 11 likes this.
  6. SSMachine

SSMachine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well about the fashion stuff, I've heard that the clothing they wear are just to display a certain artistic concept. They are not actually going to wear that outside, they just want to express the theme of the brand they are wearing as best as possible, thus exaggerating it and creating those ridiculous outfits. That's what I think at least.

7. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand the design thing, but what about money. If nobody is buying their craziness, how would they get pay?

About the student's project, she didn't mention much about the environment of the planet. But I have seen a clip about a culture that does gradually add brass or some kind of ring metals around their neck.

8. L0pez

L0pez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I buy pants for like 10$ so I don't really remember many designers so let's go with:
    Gucci:
    What they show on "eccentric part"
    [​IMG]

What they sell en masse:
    [​IMG]
    *From what I saw they sell mostly boots/belts accessories tho, so I only found this 309$(?!) t-shirt.

I'm too lazy to google more examples. But aside from bizarre exhibitions, normal ones with normal clothes are held too(probably). I doubt anyone can sustain oneself on the weird ones.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  9. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Ever see bourgeoisie classes gathering ? All those funny looking get up, alien looking pets, bizarre show on the background. As weird as it gets these people do dump their money into tasteless things.

10. vlue

vlue Jaded Isekai-Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    It's high fashion, it's a kind of abstract thing who's audience like Modern Art or those failed artist called architect who made those monstrosity called Brutalist Building.

otaku31 likes this.
  11. pandaqueen

pandaqueen Immature Dork

Reading List:
    Link
    Fashion runways could be either avant garde which is meant more for “art” than for people to wear, or ready-to-wear runway (which is self explanatory)

In the case of the former, they r supposed to be artistic, to represent some kind of ideology from the designer, u may not wanna wear em

imK likes this.
  12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    this cat have zero idea about fashion!
    for formal occasion this cat leave it to other to decide
    this cat like simple thing

13. Haruhal

Haruhal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as I know..those shown in fashion runaway are mostly just how their brands concept in the upcoming season not exactly what they're selling.... and some part of the piece just enhancing the clothing.....
    For pictures you shown... theyre avantgarde arent they?

My parents forbade me to wear any ripped clothes so meh.... and it's wasting money...why would you buy a brolen pieces when you can get perfect one with the same price thats what they told me

14. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    IDK who does, but I will not buy a t-shirt band name for 300$. No way.

True. Why buy ripped jeans, when those can be found at the thrift shop for less.

15. Haruhal

Haruhal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My country has no thrift shops :blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary:
    People here still look down shopping on thrift shop when actually WHY NOT???? I enjoyed fixing and mixmatching clothes so pretty regretable cant find one here

16. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe you can open one if there is enough interest in it.

17. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Fashion can be pretty inconsistent despite times change

18. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    I think, fashion have almost always started with "who wear what". Add to that "made by whom and bought for how much". And splash some cultural background here and there.

I've read an article somewhere (i forgot, it was a long time ago) about a designer that said that runways nowadays usually focused more on the "art" and less on the "wearable fashion", a point that some nuffians have stated before. And recently, there was a fashion show with balloon-based clothing that became an internet sensation and was highly praised for the designer's "innovation" and "creativity" rather than its wearable/aesthetic quality. Its comment section was fun to read, since it was filled with some really contrasting opinion ranged from flowery praises to the frustated lamentation of how "fake" fashion nowadays and so on.

Anyway, for the lesser eyebrow-raising collection , some brands held a separate show known as "pret-a-porter" runway that displayed a more practical and actually wearable clothing.

imK and otaku31 like this.
  19. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    Fashion nowadays is saturated, we have reached the peak of normal tailoring, you can’t really take away or add anything to make it more interesting anymore. Can only go avant garde

Fulminata likes this.
  20. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    I think we could work on more biodegradable and safe clothing. But that more science and we all know fashion designers aren’t scientists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.