Discussion Authors Don't Understand Age/Child Development

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Cosmic_, Jun 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't even have any memories at being 4 whatsoever.

2. jimmy1989

jimmy1989 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering in the olden days your an adult when you hit 12.... So yeah start them early.

Edit: poorer off places the young ones mature faster

3. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    Rip asian kids... Rip you

4. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    and well off places. the people slow the mature are those in the middle who has a not too cushy but not too troubled lifestyle and get a mediocre upbringing as a result.

poor children HAVE to learn fast, especially in dangerous communities, where as the rich children MUST learn fast due to the resources at their parents disposal to set the ahead of others earlier. the difference is in the type of education the child ends up receiving, while the poorer become life smart, the rich become book smart.

jimmy1989 likes this.
  5. Reak

Reak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Do you know Juana Inés de la Cruz?
    As a child, Juana often hid in the Hacienda chapel to read her grandfather's books from the adjoining library, something forbidden to girls. She learned how to read and write Latin at the age of three. By age five, she reportedly could do accounts. At age eight, she composed a poem on the Eucharist.

By adolescence, Juana had mastered Greek logic, and at age thirteen she was teaching Latin to young children. She also learned the Aztec language of Nahuatl and wrote some short poems in that language.

In 1664, at the age of 16, Juana was sent to live in Mexico City. She asked her mother's permission to disguise herself as a male student so that she could enter the university there. Not being allowed to do this, she continued her studies privately. She was a lady-in-waiting at the colonial viceroy's court, where she came under the tutelage of the Vicereine Leonor Carreto, wife of the Viceroy of New Spain Antonio Sebastian de Soledo. The viceroy, the Marquis de Mancera, wishing to test the learning and intelligence of the 17-year-old, invited several theologians, jurists, philosophers, and poets to a meeting, during which she had to answer many questions unprepared and explain several difficult points on various scientific and literary subjects. The manner in which she acquitted herself astonished all present and greatly increased her reputation. Her literary accomplishments garnered her fame throughout New Spain. She was much admired in the viceregal court, and she received several proposals of marriage, which she declined.

jimmy1989 likes this.
  6. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    having speech at that age is fine, but not to a certain level. Sometimes authors make them sound too mature, yeah. Taking lessons at that age? Not unbelievable. I would still expect them to be more quiet, though.

7. jimmy1989

jimmy1989 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Touche couldnt have explained it better :)

8. Faetro

Faetro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I had to pin this down on one reason and one reason alone, I would say it is because authors are often too busy being authors and trying to write material that is interesting to read. It would be hard to remain an active author while also spending time studying a large amount of scholarly material about another topic (in this example, how a child's mind, body, motor functions, speech, etc.., is at each particular age), something people do as a career, and then also trying to figure out how to use that information to create a more accurate and entertaining story. This story would, hopefully, bring the author much more success than one that did not do it, otherwise what would be the point? Diminishing returns would see to it that all but the most dedicated (note I did not say the most successful) would do it. An interesting, but inaccurate story would out perform a very realistic, but very poorly written story nine times out of ten.

flannan likes this.
  9. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's wrong with a two years old taking lessons? My parents started teaching me how to read as soon as I can form a coherent speech...

10. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, let's be honest...authors or readers, we're all virgin losers in real life. No way any of them are gunna be having kids. Cut them some slack will ya? They probably get called pedophiles if they are even seen near one.

Adieu likes this.
  11. Undeadlord

Undeadlord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My niece at age 6-8 can speak two language as good as any adult and my nephew at age 2 can speak as most kids his age but in two language the thing about speaking and walking are unusual but not impossible the thing I think are damed weird are the fact that the MC don't get sexual attracted/aroused before 15 years at minnium I don't know about girls but boys begin getting sexual awkend around 6-10 years of age it happend to me when I was 7-8

12. Myriadfold

Reading List:
    Link
    countermeasure against being reported for paedophilia or underage content.

suggest anything that being can take the wrong way and you're on the fast track to being censored :S

Adieu likes this.
  13. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are some that do...

14. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well that is where you are wrong... none of these Author are a self-respecting fantasy writers that give a shit about such nonsense, sure they may have ideas, but all they care about is the story, and realism can go eat a bag of chips or something over there on the coach.

Fantasy does not need realism, it just need some internal consistency, and a story that is it to carry the reader forward.

15. Myriadfold

Reading List:
    Link
    well, I'll just agree to disagree. no need to waste peoples time with an argument about how that is or isn't wrong.

16. Undeadlord

Undeadlord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was the older women over 18 that I was attracted to not those around my age

Adieu likes this.
  17. Myriadfold

Reading List:
    Link
    nah I mean in stories. your situation was rather normal even if was for those around your own age and not older girls/women.

it's the authors who tend to skip young romances because of the hazards associated with writing it.

18. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Who wants to read about a realistic two year old...

19. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't get your point fantasy its about creating your own realism within your story not by only implementing your own realism into the work, you do it if you want but if you want to completly break the realism and make what is realistic in that world be completly different you can there is nothing wrong,doesnt make your work bad or anything

Or did i understood wrong and you're saying about authors that dont do that? That just throw stuff in their novel and thats it?

20. flannan

flannan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me of a certain reincarnated death mage, who killed people when he was barely able to walk, and became a king with his own harem at 2 or 3 years old. Not that he had much interest in his harem - but he was very popular with women, and people tended to forget that he is an actual baby, not some weird creature that only looks like a baby.

1) Because this isn't common knowledge. I have younger relatives, but it doesn't mean I truly understand what their capabilities were like.
    2) Because it differs from person to person. Some children develop faster than others. Parents are better at making sense of what the baby is saying than other people.
    3) Because when you're a child, you tend to overestimate how capable you are. And when you're an older and writing a protagonist that is extra capable, you make him do better than your impression of yourself as a child.
    4) Because if you start your story from being a baby, you have to fill it with stuff happening. Which means the baby has to be capable of participating in adventures.
    I strongly prefer that reincarnated individuals awaken at 5+ years old, this way they can have adventures straight away without too much weirdness.

3 years old is too late. You never know when your half-year-old baby will have to go into hiding from the Church's puppets / racist slavers / whatever with only his summons to help him.
    Anyway, if you want the child to grow up a successful battle maniac, you gotta start early.

This is normal. Humans forget everything about their early childhood for some reason. I think my earliest memories date back to about 5 years old.

So, the reincarnated individual is pretty much possessed by a ghost?
    I prefer to think that the soul rearranges the brain to fit it, on a "above as below" principle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.