Discussion What is SCHOOL for?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PedoBear Version 2.0, Jun 20, 2019.

1. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    place to learn
    what to learn? various thing
    basic thing such as read, calculation, science, history ect

social life such as making friend, social structure, hardship when you loaded with bunch of homework, project ect; gain experience on love or something like that

organization if you join student council, extracurricular, community or something like that

that things you can learn and other thing which I may fail to mention

Is school live stressful?
    to each own cuz different factors play role on it
    for me not at all cuz my parents already said even if I fail on school it not the end of the world which made plenty of my friends jelly to me lol

2. DanielUchiha

DanielUchiha Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just so you know, I also live in a third world country. I spent the first 12 years of my education without a single experiment to go along with what I was taught. I had to design and perform those experiments on my own (with a little help from my Dad). The school or the country did not provide any resources, all I had was my curiosity. And that is what most students lack, they are nothing but robots going through a routine.

While I understand your point, what you should understand is what the OP was trying to illustrate, and that is the fact that the current educational system is not an ideal one. It's just convenient.

PedoBear Version 2.0 likes this.
  3. earthdrake

earthdrake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah maybe not all have watched the video, the video is quite on point on all the specific things. Sadly it only points towards a problem but not a solution and only addresses the knowledge part it does nothing to point about the forced socialization you go through.
    Also as a side note, I hated school and was hardly social, had to learn the rest on my own after highschool which is way harder and with no safety net so do take your time on school to learn about socialization and networking, is the most important thing you can learn.

4. PedoBear Version 2.0

PedoBear Version 2.0 「 Lvl. 69 Legendary Pantsu Hunter !」

Reading List:
    Link
    Try having an Asian parent, you get what I mean...

5. Haruhal

Haruhal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Place to find prospect husband :blobhero::blobhero:blobmelt_thumbs

6. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Education, socializing with 20-30+ peers, having fun in pe... Some nice morning routine

7. pandaqueen

pandaqueen Immature Dork

Reading List:
    Link
    School is your introduction to real society.
    It is not only about your academic learning, but also your social (networking, handling conflicts, making friends, managing interpersonal relationships,etc) and personal growth (handling outside stressors, self discovery, experiencing new things).

You may not see it (the why/what for) now, but you will.

8. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Funny i had thought you gonna say schools is to gather all those eggs together in one basket.

9. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Being a teacher is great, oddly I know of many teachers who didn't like school back when they were studying but well teaching and learning aren't exactly the same albeit teachers can also learn while at school

10. earthdrake

Reading List:
    Link
    Things to NOT do at school

11. Haruhal

Haruhal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_blush::blob_blush:
    Till senior highschool I still think school is a place where we can get knowledge but heck this knowledge is thrown away right after I enter uni.
    And all my friemds were just...socializing to find prospect husband,know from early is better they say....
    And I personally think moral value is more important to be taught than anything as many kids are demoraloze rn in my country,cause teachers nowadays arent like before...even teacher my era was better.
    Now they just teach whats by the book not giving additional knowledge or related info :blobflag::blobflag:

12. earthdrake

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually my point wasn't so much as to what you can do in school but about future planning. Under emotional stress (not only new environment, adolescence, hormones and what not), physical stress (don't know about everyone else but I started training more during highschool and my due to my body growing it wrecked my aim and coordination) and also most start drinking a alcoholic drinks, you are not exactly in the most stable mindset (nor anyone around) so is not the best moment to look for a partner, much less a husband/wife.
    From all the couples I met and friends that were together from that time not a single one remain together after almost 15 years.
    Still my point is with the long term, don't think about a love for the ages or a husband 'til death do us part, think as your sweetheart and the time you spend together, IF in 10+ years you are still together great if not no problem but don't put your sight so far into the future that you loose sight of what you have now.

13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    dood I'm asian~
    graduate from quite prestigious public high school on region so I do know what social pressure which most come from parent, other pressure such as competitive peer, annoying teacher, hellish homework ect are meh for me cuz like I stated my parent support me wholly
    jelly yet?

14. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    You know that tiny little rectangle that proved your degree? The one that you got after completing all those gruesome years sticking your butt to the classroom? The one that is used as an easy and cheap screening method for corporates to scout a talent?

Dat little piece of paper, my friend, is the only reason why i'm keeping up with 20++ years of school.

And for a more serious answer :
    Anyway, only after getting into uni that i've truly realized that school is the hotpot for making useful relations, the ones that could possibly makes your life easier in the future. Coming from the lower strata of the socio-economic class, i get to brush shoulders with bright and diverse (and sometimes, crazily rich) peeps that i would possibly never meet outside on equal terms. And i got some neat benefit from it too, like experiences, lessons, and some really neat opportunities. So yeah, with school, you're gonna get that certificate plus relations as a bonus

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  15. ishira

ishira Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think school is useless too, except for basic knowledge like language, basic math, common sense, and trivias. I don't like how we are required to take in a lot of subjects and expected to excel on every one of them. I started enjoy school at vocational high school, because i learnt what i truly enjoy.

I think school will be a better place if they change the system to be like vocational high school system from junior high.

16. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    My opinion for this matter is that School is an institution. The point of it is to provide a basic fundamental common sense for the people.
    Common knowledge which is decided by people with authority (eg. government, non-profit organizations, entrepreneurs, etc).

The intention for this practice is to give an opportunity for a broad community of people. But intentions swing both ways, in terms of benefits, ideologies, morals and principles.

The video you've presented is inspirational and I find the content persuasive. But I'm no educator, I'm a product of the indoctrination, from elementary, to middle school, to high school and now college.

There are certain things to lament about, and things that can be improved. But these are things parents need to fight for, while raising their children.
    -----------
    I don't speak for any place in this world but can only reference my locale. Sadly with the high cost of living, both parents need to work constantly to maintain ones lifestyle. And have a lack of involvement with most children's development. The parental guidance, has turned into that of an older friend for some families, some parents also spoil their children to the point that they cater to many of their whims. I'm not going to belittle their practices, but i do worry for the future.

17. AlexMercer

AlexMercer New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    in order to make you a consumer for the system