Where is border between abuse and discipline?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Yamatohime, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Yamatohime

Yamatohime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How realistic would be a character that created an benevolent image of her/his abuser of sorts in her/his memories? Would a setting influence such image or overall life style?

I wrote a character, who was liberated from slavery at age of 7 by her adopted father, who immediately appointed her as his heir. She was then trained harshly, getting seriously hurt during those training sessions and disciplined with beating for any small mistake during training. By age of 10 the character became a disciplined soldier and a decent commander (but awful combatant because of physical limitations). Afterwards she was sent to learn magic...

After a long time the character believed that her father was a loving and caring man who gave her everything in her life, including her strength and power. I was said that my character is kind of nuts.

P.S.
    The setting was your classic darkish fantasy where monsters run rampaging and nobles has a lot of political and military power because of it.

Random lurker likes this.
  2. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    This is more commonly known as Stockholm syndrome.:cry::cry::cry:

3. Lord Luc

Lord Luc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Makes sense to me. Severely(?) abused in slavery to only moderately abused once out of it. It's all about perception.

4. Random lurker

Random lurker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sound like Asian father

Yamatohime likes this.
  5. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I say make her know/realize the truth and get an emotional breakdown which causes her to become twisted or some sort of a maniac obsessed with power and then make her reach the top tricking and sacrificing all those that caused her pain :blobowoevil_horns:

Yamatohime and Rainingmoon like this.
  6. L0pez

L0pez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Objectively, the purpose is a border. If training doesn't serve the purpose, it is an abuse.

Subjectively, feel free to write all the shit you like, because Stockholm syndrome is a thing, and she could've mistaken anything for kindness and it will be funny to use further into the story.

@Edit. I mean, it's not really unrealistic to think: "Damn, my guardians were 'discipline nutjobs', but thanks to them going spartan i'm where i am."

7. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    Most discipline is abuse. Also, if you want to use punishment to teach something to someone, it won’t be very effective. Positive reinforcement is much more effective

Yamatohime likes this.
  8. Ursula

Ursula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not like that .
    there is a difference between being hard on a child to make them better at something ( maybe to insure a good future )
    and just beating them for fun :blobwoah:
    I think that it's a realistic to love her father as she grows up and realize that it was all for her good :blobpats:

ongoingwhy and Yamatohime like this.
  9. SinnyVic

SinnyVic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This sounds like Ottoman empire slavery or some such.

Yamatohime likes this.
  10. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, she kinda got some benefits, right? Dad might be harsh, but at least she got to improve her life once it's over.

Yamatohime likes this.
  11. Ursula

Ursula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's all comes down to what was the father thinking of when he was harsh on her .

12. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    If they're seriously considering self-maiming or suicide repeatedly and sometimes even act on it, it's abuse.
    Anything up to that point is based on each individual case.

Yamatohime likes this.
  13. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    welp i think you should set a timeline setting for it. . .
    coz the view point of people in older times are considered to be harsh in the view point of people now. . .
    but at that time it is just normal everyday for them. . .

14. Jbird

Jbird Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think she would have a deep respect for her adoptive father, and maybe a principled kind of love. I don't think she would understand or have a familial love for him.

Yamatohime likes this.
  15. Yamatohime

Yamatohime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The setting is simple, it is darkish fantasy. The overall level of security is extremely low. Monsters can attack and overrun villages even in highly developed territories. Public security in general is bad.

16. Eviltwin

Eviltwin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whether it is abuse or discipline really depends on the motivation and also the setting of the society.

It would be abuse when there is no real reason behind.

But discipline can also be debated. Like barely a century ago in my country, it was okay for a teacher to beat unruly students with a stick for disobeying but nowadays, just seperate fighting students by pushing them away may end up with the risk of their overprotective parents calling for lawyers :facepalm:

As long as your worldsetting matches, then it should work out. In dark fantasy, the risk of dying for being weak is higher and therefore those teaching methods probably won't count as going overboard. :blobok:

17. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Abuse start when they are asking the children something unreasonable and getting punished for failing.