Question About the 3 month rule for novel pick up request...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Godhole, Jun 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godhole

Godhole Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, in the NU rules we have to wait 3 month with no release to be able to make a pick up request, but what about cases in which translator doens't translate for months (6 months here) and then just when you do your pick up request, he translate one chapter, then continues without translating the novel?
    I had made a pick up request for Tou no Madoushi the 04/30 and then he released one chapter the 05/25, and since then absolutely nothing.
    I asked him if he had a schedule on his website but i got no response (even though i was the only comment...) [​IMG]
    Then i went to his discord and asked him about the novel and he said next release would be around 06/18, but there was no new chapter and no news about it, even though he does actually continues to translate his other novel for some reason.[​IMG]
    So, does the rule still apply to this kind of situation? Do we still have to wait 3 months for the novel to be considered inactive?

Fossil and Toralk like this.
  2. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    yes, the rule still applies if you want to carry on someone else's translations.
    the rule does not apply if you translate from the beginning.

3. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't ask; Don't tell. It's not just a military motto for relationships, it should be *your* motto for *literally everything*.

Yes, the rule does apply. Yes, the novel is considered picked up and no, you cannot make a pickup request for it. That said, if you choose to remain mum about it when the translator picks the novel back up, and no one else reports it, how would we ever know?

Since you did bring it up, though, I have changed the prefix of your thread to "Picked up" -- Feel free to change it back if the translator does not release anything else by the end of August.

... And, uh, the thread was thoroughly buried anyway. No one had posted in that pickup request thread for three months already... Someone could have made a pickup request for the pickup request. Please remember that you are allowed to bump the thread if you want to draw attention to it.
    That's about release acceptance on Novel Updates, the full policy being here: https://www.novelupdates.com/nu-policy/

To clarify, they would not be considered the current translator of the novel without having released 2 chapters within the last 30 days. ... and in this case, the total release count is too low for the novel to have a current translator in the first place.

Novel Updates would accept another translator's releases.

NUF's rules are different. Or, specifically, the Pickup Request subforum's rules. You can't make a thread for a novel in the Pickup Requests subforum unless the novel has no translator at all, basically. The "three months" part of the rule is essentially a recognition that the translator quit without notice.

4. Mufarasu

Mufarasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At that point I wouldn't care.

If the TL is barely communicating, and for all intents and purposes is basically dead go ahead and start translating on your own. There may be some overlap for a few chapters if the TL tries to hold on to the series now that there's an active interest, but they'll give up soon enough. There's no need to be overly courteous.

5. Darkanlan

Darkanlan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NUF rules are the same as courtesy rules, they honestly don't really matter. If you're going to translate something and someone else only releases stuff infrequently but wishes to claim that it belongs to them, you can just ignore them. It's not like they wrote the novel and haves rights to it, they're just translators. If you want to translate it they can't say for you to stop, since they have no legal rights to the work you're translating in the first place. So do as you wish and if people complain, just ignore them. Not like another NU can't be made. It's definitely not the first and definitely wont be the last.

6. peanutbutter_J

peanutbutter_J Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kinda agree with this

7. Omnicast

Omnicast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhh to the posters above me the OPer wants to make a pickup request not pick it up to translate.

Westie already said no go on the pickup request. Op needs to wait till August or pick it up to translate him or herself. If I understood the situation correctly. :hmm:

FYI I’m all for you picking up the novel because the other translator seems to be hogging it. FYI gonna go bump another pickup request of mine since Westie said it’s okay. :blobsmilehappyeyes:

Westeller likes this.
  8. Darkanlan

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I see that now. I'm still for not caring about others claiming projects and only updating them often enough to not let others on NUF claim them. Should be a 1 month period instead of 3 months for inactive. Too many groups these days are able to handle daily releases, let alone weekly releases, waiting for 3 months is completely overkill.

9. Kuronairo

Kuronairo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of solo translators still Can t manage a schedule like that. And those who translate with a daily schedule usually makes money out of it . Not all solo translators do that. Though I see your point and partly agree with it. Let s not take daily releases for smth granted , it s a lot of work and hours spent on it.

10. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    well if your going to TL it. . .
    then go,
    seeing that there are low release count . . . .
    just out number the other TL. . .

saw some TL's like those in the past who get angry and blah blah blah on this and that. . .
    but welp no release for the near 3 months and then when counter nears zero they will release things. . .

i can understand if they are translating a LN. . . and a whole chapter or volume to boot. .

11. Darkanlan

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why I said let alone weekly releases. Most solo translators can at least within a month release something. Most every week or two at the slowest these days. Daily is just what groups are capable of now compared to in the past. Though some are only 2-4 people working together and they still can release at least once per day. So if you have to wait three months for inactive, it's way longer than it needs to be to claim inactive. A month and a half without a release is more than enough to claim that if the slowest person only did one release per month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.