Discussion Opinion on WordExcerpt

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sun7sun7, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Oni0904

Oni0904 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We have several translators who are working on multiple novels at the same time, unfortunately. Thus, if we asked them to speed up releases, it would be somewhat unreasonable. As much as I want more seirei gensouki, I’d rather have slower releases if it means that cnine doesn’t die from overwork. After all, he’s in charge of a majority (if not all) of the Japanese novels.

Deleted member 125960 and Ubik like this.
  2. Sun7sun7

Sun7sun7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm an author and wanted to reach more people so I was wondering about their reputation and way of doing things before working with them.

Deleted member 125960 likes this.
  3. judairu

judairu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :aww: HAHA a discussion :blob_blush:

As for dropped novels, translators moved on :blobsad: Got too busy with life, that, or the interest in the novel faded.
    If so, their motivation to continue to translate is lost.
    Some of the novels they've chosen to translate hardly ever get enough readers.

Then there's the part where translators work on more than one novel.
    They have this issue where they lose interest quickly when doing just one novel.
    So to prevent that, they do work on at least more than one novel.

And then comes the editors :blobparty:
    We don't have many so they get passed around a lot.
    So some novels does receive infrequent updates though not really intended.

:blobjoy: I'm sure you won't all like the stories put out. Different audience, different tastes.
    We're pretty chill. Come hang with us :blobowoevil:

4. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    they have a fairly consistent release rate. not lazy like me who only reads the raws and never bothers to translate anymore.

5. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I see you one of group there.
    I understand TL problems - I just don't understand lack of communication. If you or TL dropping novel just say it. It's painful for readers but understandable. But to keep readers in limbo for months is no go.

6. asaade

asaade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    they're re vip scheme is good but the novel in vip section is meh so its useless, after all i only read in they're site is i am in marvel and it was on vip, and it was quite expensive to buy their vip for a single novel and the amount of vip chapter is also quite pitiful, so i just wait for the free chapters

7. Oni0904

Oni0904 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I highly recommend you join!

8. Sun7sun7

Sun7sun7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanted to ask for the community's opinion first. Some years ago, I almost signed with Qidian :blobfearful:
    I want to make sure that I keep my work and integrity

9. Oni0904

Oni0904 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On our site we tag dropped or on hold novels on their pages to notify readers of their status. Yes, keeping readers in limbo is an unfortunate thing, but it isn’t uncommon in the world of novel translations. Regrettable as it is, we can’t ask people to put off personal issues or their life in order to continue a novel.

10. Drum-Wielding Panda

Drum-Wielding Panda Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Currently, 'I am in Marvel' alone has 8 vip chapters. That's for around 10$ a month or so. It's actually cheaper than practically every other patreon out there.
    And that's not counting the rest of the novels in VIP.

11. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know you are lie on on purpose or not - but screens right now:
    1.jpg 2.jpg
    Don't you think that what you say doesn't correlate with facts? I don't see dropped right now.

12. Drum-Wielding Panda

Drum-Wielding Panda Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It says at the end of the last released chapter that it's been dropped, if it helps.

13. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From nickname I understand that you are TL of both novels, of course I saw that message in the novel that it will drop at the end of ark or may be earlier, I'm not blind you know. I thank you for translation. But message that QTFTS was ended only for that novel. Not for with another one. Especially when one person from from your group or lazy or ... you judge it yourself.

14. Oni0904

Oni0904 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Normally, we would tag with on hold or cancelled. However, it seems moon-er, the translator, did things differently.

While I’m not quite sure about Second Story Online, Quick Transmigration may not have had it’s status updated, but moon-er clearly stated at the end of chapter 62 that they would be dropping the series. Even if the status wasn’t updated, anyone who cared about the novel would have read the chapter and seen the translator’s note. As for Second Story Online, we are fairly certain that the moon-er notified the readers in some way. If she did not, we apologize.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Deleted member 125960 and Ubik like this.
  15. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you kind of take this thing personally where it was lack of communication.
    In Moon-Er TL note at the end of chapter part 62 - Chapter 62 - Not Leaving (1):
    That is communication, it's understandable that TL don't want that genre style etc.

TL picked up different other novels. But "Second Story Online: Aiming To Become The World’s Number 1. Ideal Witch" didn't had any notes from APRIL for two months any updates of it's status. If it will be dropped there were maybe other groups to pick it.

16. Oni0904

Oni0904 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well then, we apologize for the very unfortunate lack of notice. Are there any other issues that you wish to discuss?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Ubik and Parking like this.
  17. Parking

Parking Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    TLs and Editors have lives, brah. Sometimes they forget to tag a novel as dropped, so what? It ain't the end of the world.

I've been reading on WE for a while, and I like it. I don't have a problem with the ad wall because they need a way to support themselves, since they're doing all that work for free. Yes, you can get VIP for advance chapters, but if you don't want to, then just wait for the chapters to be released. Allowing ads and VIP are, ultimately, a way to support the team that is taking their time to translate content you may (or may not) like.

True, split chapters are a pain, but who doesn't like that slight tingle of waiting to know what happens next? Some TLs split chapters but release them all on the same day (WE people, if that could be come a staple for all TLs, that'd be great! :aww:).

Compared to other sites that I read novels onto, the quality is much higher. It's not perfect, of course, needs some work but it's already leagues ahead from most of the sites I read where the TL doesn't even have an editor. Also, they have a discord server where you can mention an error or a grammar mistake to them and they fix it ASAP. It's a pretty good translation site. :blobuwu:

18. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you. Lack of communication is understandable. I was not against you until post that was later than yours. If it yours PR manager you should throw that person from cliff.
    Oh they have life yeah. "Your expectation is your problems" (c) I know that too. But TL picked up two or three next novels to TL, if TL forgotten to do it - then it will come to person that organize site, or other ones in organisation. Now you shift blame to readers that in your mind they all are from Psi corps telepaths that could mind read novel is dropped or not for months.
    So as reader I'm need to eat shit for free and not to say my opinion because it's free? I already said that I'm not against their decision to split novel in parts. I'm not against long hiatus from translating chapters, as long as it would be saying in communication. I'm not against dropping novel if it was TL decision.
    And now you shift blame on your readers for not being able to know that novel was dropped or not. Because it's free, yeah.

And you now it's not good for yours reputation as TL group. You as talking head for that group should know that.

19. Parking

Parking Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, you really have nothing better to do in your life.

I'm not speaking for the WE group, I'm not even a TLr. I'm just expressing my opinion as a reader. Also, who's saying anyone is a telepath? I'm not shifting blame to anyone here. What YOU are doing is making a mountain out of an anthill. I don't know why you're doing this or what grudge you may have with the WE group, but I'm not going to waste my time with you other than writing this.

You're not the creator of the post and you're just here to nitpick and speak ill of a good, friendly site who does a good job at something that I'm going to wildly guess you are incapable of. I'm not saying you can't complain because it's free, I'm saying if you don't like it, MOVE ON and stop making trouble for others. If the novel you want to read hasn't been updated, oh wow, please don't cry, how about you READ SOMETHING ELSE?

This post was created because an author who wanted to join the site wanted to have a feel of how the site is viewed and, while I'm sure all constructive criticism will be appreciated by them, you're just outright badmouthing them for something a lot of other sites do. And what's wrong with dropping a novel unannounced? Maybe they just don't have time. Have you considered that, unless you're a paid visitor of the site, they don't actually have an obligation to warn you that they're going to drop an novel? Life happens.

To those who want to have an accurate review of WordExcerpt: Yes, it's a good site. Yes, it has a fairly frequent update schedule (practically every day or every other day). Yes, it's doing a good job. Yes, it needs improvement, it needs editors, but you can reach them through their discord group if you find any errors/ grammar mistakes/ have a question.

You want an even more accurate review? Go to the site. Browse. Go to the discord group. Chat. You'll see.
    Don't believe the forums at face value because it's full of people like the one above this post who don't know how to view a forest and instead focus only on a tree. Build your own opinion based on what you experience.

And for the authors out there: I hope to see you and your novels at WordExcerpt. I'm fairly sure you won't regret joining that group.

20. Neverfire7

Neverfire7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    err... so I've been told to say something but I promise I'm no PR manager, just a... mascot...? I have no idea anymore... This thread's gotten pretty heated, which is rather unfortunate because we're not even talking about something that's worth getting angry over, like politics or whether scone should be rhymed with gone or cone.

Now if I correctly summarise your complaint, you're angry that WE doesn't show you if a novel's been dropped or not, right? (if I've missed anything, feel free to say something.) Let's forget about checking a novel's NU page to take a look at its last released chapter, because not everyone does that. Would you like us to tell you the status of the novel's translation on its novel page? Something like a 'DROPPED' or 'ON HOLD' sort of thing? Because I'm sure that can be arranged, and thank you for your suggestion, I'll pass it onto... whoever does the website... things...

As for you @Parking, I appreciate your enthusiasm to help out and try to defend WE. Thank you very much for that, however, there was no need to get angry over this. WE'd much rather you remained happy, instead of giving into the temptation of arguing with someone over the internet. But thanks, I appreciate your intentions!