Discussion \o/ First Arc Completed: Song of Adolescence (Friend's TL Novel)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by catatopatch, Jul 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catatopatch

catatopatch Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bear with me since I'm typing this while on drowsiness-inducing medicine...

Just wanted to celebrate the fact that my friend's first attempt at translating has led to a completed story arc! His translated novel is Song of Adolescence (the raw title sucks too but it's surprisingly apt).

NU Link above. If you have the time, please check it out (it's only 27 chapters for now but it's a completed arc so you won't be left hanging). A review, comment or like would be much appreciated by him.

So here's why I like the novel and why I'm bothering to type this out:

-Not a reincarnation novel
    -More wuxia themed than the usual xianxia stuff
    -Actually well written raws, not just one line paragraphs and soulless characters
    -The author's novel has an anime adapted from it (plot differs slightly, go youtube it 少年歌行, anime translation has nothing to do with him)
    -No out of place modern reference that breaks the mood
    -The story is written with an end in mind, no countless world/dimensions spamming

Here's an excerpt from the first chapter for those too lazy to click a link:

“Bring us your finest wine and best meat!” Yelled a hulking man who seemed to be the leader of the dozen strong group.

“How much?” The waiter anxiously nodded his head.

“As much as you have!” The hulking man yelled back.

“That’s…”

“HUH?” The hulking man shot the waiter a furious glare.

“Dear guests, our inn operates on the principle of ‘pay first, dishes later’. As such, it will be better if you tell us exactly how much meat and wine you need.” Xiao Se returned their furious stares with a thin smile.

“Who are you supposed to be?” The hulking man eyed him with bulging eyes.

“This humble one is known as Xiao Se, the owner of this inn, the Fallen Snow Villa.” Xiao Se replied with the same smile and with a level of courtesy worth a solid 12/10.

“Well, we have no money.” The hulking man stabbed his blade into one of the nearby tables.

“Oh?”

“But I’m sure you have some!” The man pointed his finger at Xiao Se.

At that, Xiao Se furiously shook his head. “I’m sorry to break it to you but our little inn hasn’t made a single sale in almost a month. I’m about to owe them salaries myself…”

“Like hell if I care!” The hulking man smashed his palm down on the table. “Even if you have no money, that fur coat of yours should at least be worth a hundred odd silvers.”

“NONSENSE!” Yelled Xiao Se, eyes wide open and gaze as sharp as daggers.

The hulking man was stunned, his body even shivering involuntarily for that split second.

“I, Xiao Se, ride only the finest horse and wear only the richest threads! This fur coat of mine was specially sewn by some of the finest seamstresses in the imperial capital in the August Threads. Just sewing it took three whole months, shipping it, another one. Hmph, a hundred silvers? That’s not even enough to buy the sleeves of my coat!”

2. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    The excerpt has indeed intrigued me. I'm going to read the rest now. Thanks for sharing!!

3. catatopatch

Reading List:
    Link
    Forgot to add the following to why I like the novel:

Not a Harem novel
    Not a Loli novel

4. badMal

badMal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i enjoy Wuxia and liked it so far ( chapter 25 ). it reminds me of Gu Long the way strange characters appear one after another, the events and sharp dialogue. i even looked up raw on internet for MTL but decided in the end to let chapters pile up and read now and then. thanks for popularizing it. sadly there is much less love for Wuxia now. perhaps age/generation thing . as this story is more a xianxia with the qi , flying weapons-people and all that, it should interest wider audience.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    catatopatch likes this.
  5. catatopatch

Reading List:
    Link
    Help spread the word.:blobhero: Wouldn’t want it to die because of lack of interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.